Chances of Caribbean grad from SGU obtaining residency in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saks52

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...I am a Canadian citizen who is considering going to Medical school in the Caribbean as I have been rejected by all schools across Canada b/c of my MCAT scores (wrote it twice and got 25S, GPA is 3.6).

I am just wondering what is the procedure and how difficult it is to obtain residency and practice in Canada after graduating from the Caribbean?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello...I am a Canadian citizen who is considering going to Medical school in the Caribbean as I have been rejected by all schools across Canada b/c of my MCAT scores (wrote it twice and got 25S, GPA is 3.6).

I am just wondering what is the procedure and how difficult it is to obtain residency and practice in Canada after graduating from the Caribbean?

hey sacks52 maybe we'll be clolleagues. Here's a site I found...take it with a grain of ssalt if you wish, however it's pretty close to reality.
http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/openletter.htm

Ouch. That link is quite accurate, from what I know. This is why I really hate the bureaucratic BS of Canada. No wonder we have such a big doctor shortage: all the good doctors go to the US, and those that study abroad have an almost impossible time coming back.

Serves them right. If they don't change their policies (which it doesn't look like they'll do anytime soon), they'll keep digging a bigger and bigger hole for themselves. The healthcare system can only take so much.

hey sacks52 maybe we'll be clolleagues. Here's a site I found...take it with a grain of ssalt if you wish, however it's pretty close to reality.
http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/openletter.htm

Hey..thanks for the info...good to know that I have a small chance of going back to Canada now that I am out :( oh well hopefully things work out..if not States here I come :)