Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile matters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I mention my stats, I want to let you know that I know they are really low. I would just like to see any other opinions. I want to know what schools I can apply to (if any) and I will be retaking my DAT but maybe in October.

oGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.00
DAT: 17AA...yea I know :(

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I would not say the odds are in your favor. I'm not in admissions, but a strong academic background tends to be heavily emphasized, and a low DAT coupled with a relatively poor GPA is likely not a good sign to adcoms. If you haven't applied yet, I would wait till next year when you can raise that DAT and (if you can afford the time and money) your GPA as well, it would pretty much be a waste of money applying that late. Best of Luck!

Gotta start somewhere. But probably less than zero chance. You have to demonstrate to schools that you have more than just good EC's because, as a guy on the dental forum found out by failing out, if you can't hack it academically there's no point in keeping you around or accepting you. Save your money, kill the DAT, raise your sGPA by taking supplemental courses or just take a SMP. Good luck. I got in with a 3.0 uGPA/sGPA, but I killed the DAT/SMP.

On second thought, since you've already applied, kill the DAT and I would say you have a shot, slim, but a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But unfortunately, I already applied this cycle in June hoping that I would do well on the DAT. That didn't happen so is it best to just not apply to any more schools? I have one in-state school added already.

Apply to a lot of private schools and apply smartly. It is getting very competitive nowadays. We aren't adcoms so take what everyone else says with a grain of salt.

A 3.2/3.0 GPA indicates to the admission committees that you aren't academically ready for dental school and then a 17AA solidifies that thought. A retake is necessary.

Before I mention my stats, I want to let you know that I know they are really low. I would just like to see any other opinions. I want to know what schools I can apply to (if any) and I will be retaking my DAT but maybe in October.

oGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.00
DAT: 17AA...yea I know :(

Any opinions?

I feel terrible to say this but I don't believe you have a chance unless you are either a URM, there is a very compelling reason to interview you. This may crazy good ec's or experiences. When in school one must demonstrate they can handle a course load, and with the dat not being amazing at all it says your gpa is in the place that its supposed to be. I would try to boost your app, take the dat again and to think about doing a masters program. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Try Puerto Rico. One girl who went to HS with me got in with 15. Im not sure about her GPA though. Puerto Rico is more flexible.

Try Puerto Rico. One girl who went to HS with me got in with 15. Im not sure about her GPA though. Puerto Rico is more flexible.
I would but I heard it's hard to come back here. I have to study two more years to work here?

I would but I heard it's hard to come back here. I have to study two more years to work here?

Negative. Puerto Rico is US territory. As long as you graduate and pass the boards you will be able to come back to the USA.

Do you have to know Spanish to apply there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also read a thread about a guy getting in with 2.88 GPA if I'm not mistaken. Just look it up. He said he applied three times but he still got in... he was not from Puerto Rico so you should give it a shot.