Chance of IM residency in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmledkp

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum!

I would like to begin by asking if there is any chance of being able to match into an Internal Medicine residency program as an IMG, given my record:-

I'm a UK medical student (top 5/10 medical school) and I've just finished my third year (two years of pre-clinical sciences + intercalated (sandwich) BSc year).

In my first year I failed one of my single best answer papers (1 of 3 papers) and in my second year I failed the newly introduced OSCE component but passed the single best answer paper. This meant in both years I had to resit all exams in the same summer (the entire set of exams must be resit together even if previously passed). Therefore, I failed both pre-clinical years but did not repeat any years. This last year I achieved a 2:1 in my Cardiovascular BSc (the second highest degree classification in the UK - a good average achieved by most of my medical school friends), I also averaged a First this year across my exams but the marks in the previous two years brought down my overall grade to a 2:1.

Now that my academic transcript is tainted (which I will receive soon with my BSc certificate and will find out exactly how many 'F's/attempts' it states), do I have any chance of gaining a place in the US as an IMG if I were to work extremely hard and do much better in the remaining 3 clinical years of my program and do extremely well in USMLE + LORs, electives, publications etc.

I would be open to any internal medicine residency in pretty much all states.

I know working extremely harder is easier said than done but I would be willing to make the necessary sacrifices if I were to know that there is still some realistic chance of gaining a place, or whether it's not even worth trying to apply and sit the USMLEs.

Any help at all is kindly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, new to the forum!

I would like to begin by asking if there is any chance of being able to match into an Internal Medicine residency program as an IMG, given my record:-

I'm a UK medical student (top 5/10 medical school) and I've just finished my third year (two years of pre-clinical sciences + intercalated (sandwich) BSc year).

In my first year I failed one of my single best answer papers (1 of 3 papers) and in my second year I failed the newly introduced OSCE component but passed the single best answer paper. This meant in both years I had to resit all exams in the same summer (the entire set of exams must be resit together even if previously passed). Therefore, I failed both pre-clinical years but did not repeat any years. This last year I achieved a 2:1 in my Cardiovascular BSc (the second highest degree classification in the UK - a good average achieved by most of my medical school friends), I also averaged a First this year across my exams but the marks in the previous two years brought down my overall grade to a 2:1.

Now that my academic transcript is tainted (which I will receive soon with my BSc certificate and will find out exactly how many 'F's/attempts' it states), do I have any chance of gaining a place in the US as an IMG if I were to work extremely hard and do much better in the remaining 3 clinical years of my program and do extremely well in USMLE + LORs, electives, publications etc.

I would be open to any internal medicine residency in pretty much all states.

I know working extremely harder is easier said than done but I would be willing to make the necessary sacrifices if I were to know that there is still some realistic chance of gaining a place, or whether it's not even worth trying to apply and sit the USMLEs.

Any help at all is kindly appreciated

You should definitely still have a chance. The US doesn't care about your transcript, they look at your USMLEs and your US clinical experience first and foremost.