This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roayer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently made a post about this but my circumstances have changed. I am a junior who just had to take this current semester off for a variety of reasons: financial - my parents cut me off due to their own problems, health (I will explain), and a need to get some clinical exposure. I also plan on taking the MCAT on 5/20/2016. I have NOT taken Physics 2 or Organic 2 Lab but still plan on applying to Medical School this upcoming cycle ( and I could get LOR from both my Orgo 1 Teacher and my Physics I teach).

Stats: Overall Undergraduate GPA 3.63 My Science GPA is a 3.84. Currently I am finishing up my incomplete from last semester on account of a terrible virus and MRSA right before finals.

Health: I suffer from the neurological condition Post-Concussive Syndrome (PCS) which has caused me to suffer from dehabilitating migraines on a daily basis. This caused me to get a MW the summer before my freshman year and finish my first semester with a 2.51. I worked hard to overcome this and my UGPA since that is a 3.77 and my SGPA is a 3.97. This current semester off I have worked to quit my medicine doing yoga and exercise which has been extremely difficult but I finally feel a little better and much healthier.

Extracurriculars: This was my weakest area but now that I have a gap semester I am trying to fix them. I am currently working as a Research Coordinator in NeuroPsych research (I plan on being a Neurologist). I can't really talk about the job but it is full time and gives me direct clinical exposure with patients and is research in the field that interests me so I should have over 500 hours of this research done by the time I apply. To give an example I do diagnosis, vitals, ECGs, maybe even phlebotomy in the near future in addition to actual clinical research (I hate the paperwork)...
- I am also doing Research in Molecular Biology at the same time on a Biomedical Project on the weekends
- I started 2 clubs: I am the President of the Biochemistry club and the Vice-President of the Table Tennis Club which are both active clubs and in the Biochem club we are trying to organize weekly volunteer opportunities at habitat for humanity and we give free tutoring before exams. Both of these have been enjoyable and are active clubs.
- I am the Treasurer of the Pre-Health Society.
- I tutor/TA/grade Calculus for the past year.
- I plan on finding other doctors to shadow other than my current job since it is only Neuropsych.

I have a daily MCAT routine set up and am hoping to score extremely high (518+). I believe I got accommodations for the MCAT if that gives you any idea about my disability so I should have a good personal story and very good LORs. I am wondering what else I should be doing during this off semester. Obviously the MCAT is the most important thing especially with a not so outstanding GPA. I REALLY want to get into UTSW (it is close where I live currently) and my other top 2 schools I would like to get into are Baylor and U Michigan. I have instate for Michigan and I am in the Process of getting Texas Residency but I will not have it until after this cycle. What else should I be doing at this point to get into these schools? I know UTSW is all about research and MCAT score. I might also point out that I am a Caucasian male. Thanks and sorry for the long wind I just am feeling increasingly anxious at the moment!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A bit of shadowing and more clinical volunteering would help. Seems like you have a lot on your plate, why not a gap year?

Reactions: 1 user
I still might do a gap year if I don't feel ready by May for the MCAT. Too be honest I predict things will settle down after this week. I didn't rule a gap year out but that means I have to try in P-Chem and Biochem 2 senior year and I would prefer to be accepted and not have to 4.0 those classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second a bit of clinical volunteering. If you make an MCAT of 507+ you should be okay.

Okay thanks for the posts. I forgot I also work another job as a calculus tutor/TA for the past year. I don't know entirely what you mean by clinical volunteering. Do you mean volunteering at a hospital?

Okay thanks for the posts. I forgot I also work another job as a calculus tutor/TA for the past year. I don't know entirely what you mean by clinical volunteering. Do you mean volunteering at a hospital?

yes

Just out of curiosity, why hospital volunteering. All of my classmates who do it don't get to do anything but fetch drinks and stuff. At my job I get actual patient interactions. Wouldn't it just be better for me to shadow for more diversity? Sorry, I know I asked for advice but I am just wondering how fetching coffee will help my applications over other things. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, why hospital volunteering. All of my classmates who do it don't get to do anything but fetch drinks and stuff. At my job I get actual patient interactions. Wouldn't it just be better for me to shadow for more diversity? Sorry, I know I asked for advice but I am just wondering how fetching coffee will help my applications over other things. Thanks!

Volunteering demonstrates your dedication to helping others, and clinical volunteering demonstrates not just that but that you don't mind being around sick people when you're doing it basically.

Oh, I guess that makes sense. About how many hours should I shoot for would you say? I guess I can try to fit that in this schedule if it is doable if you think its that important. I'm not trying to snub it, its just another thing I guess haha.

it shouldn't be viewed as "just another thing".... You should find experiences which you enjoy and are learning/gaining new perspective from

You have a compelling story, and Adcoms like this when combined with your academic excellence.
Other than that, it's way too early to tell.

So I recently made a post about this but my circumstances have changed. I am a junior who just had to take this current semester off for a variety of reasons: financial - my parents cut me off due to their own problems, health (I will explain), and a need to get some clinical exposure. I also plan on taking the MCAT on 5/20/2016. I have NOT taken Physics 2 or Organic 2 Lab but still plan on applying to Medical School this upcoming cycle ( and I could get LOR from both my Orgo 1 Teacher and my Physics I teach).

Stats: Overall Undergraduate GPA 3.63-3.71 (depends on how I do in my incomplete final in 2 days but I am predicting I get a B+ in that class, I am terrible at Spanish). My Science GPA is a 3.85. Currently I am finishing up my incompletes from last semester on account of a terrible virus and MRSA right before finals.

Health: I suffer from the neurological condition Post-Concussive Syndrome (PCS) which has caused me to suffer from dehabilitating migraines on a daily basis. This caused me to get a MW the summer before my freshman year and finish my first semester with a 2.51. I worked hard to overcome this and my UGPA since that is a 3.78-3.84 and my SGPA is a 3.97. This current semester off I have worked to quit my medicine doing yoga and exercise which has been extremely difficult but I finally feel a little better and much healthier.

Extracurriculars: This was my weakest area but now that I have a gap semester I am trying to fix them. I am currently working as a Research Coordinator in NeuroPsych research (I plan on being a Neurologist). I can't really talk about the job but it is full time and gives me direct clinical exposure with patients and is research in the field that interests me so I should have over 500 hours of this research done by the time I apply. To give an example I do diagnosis, vitals, ECGs, maybe even phlebotomy in the near future in addition to actual clinical research (I hate the paperwork)...
- I am also doing Research in Molecular Biology at the same time on a Biomedical Project on the weekends
- I started 2 clubs: I am the President of the Biochemistry club and the Vice-President of the Table Tennis Club which are both active clubs and in the Biochem club we are trying to organize weekly volunteer opportunities at habitat for humanity and we give free tutoring before exams. Both of these have been enjoyable and are active clubs.
- I am the Treasurer of the Pre-Health Society.
- I tutor/TA/grade Calculus for the past year.
- I plan on finding other doctors to shadow other than my current job since it is only Neuropsych.

I have a daily MCAT routine set up and am hoping to score extremely high (518+). I believe I got accommodations for the MCAT if that gives you any idea about my disability so I should have a good personal story and very good LORs. I am wondering what else I should be doing during this off semester. Obviously the MCAT is the most important thing especially with a not so outstanding GPA. I REALLY want to get into UTSW (it is close where I live currently) and my other top 2 schools I would like to get into are Baylor and U Michigan. I have instate for Michigan and I am in the Process of getting Texas Residency but I will not have it until after this cycle. What else should I be doing at this point to get into these schools? I know UTSW is all about research and MCAT score. I might also point out that I am a Caucasian male. Thanks and sorry for the long wind I just am feeling increasingly anxious at the moment!