certificate vs M.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
for specialty training, what is the difference and what are the advantages of having a M.S. compared to a certificate?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dc-10 said:
for specialty training, what is the difference and what are the advantages of having a M.S. compared to a certificate?
Thanks
Ask yourself this: does the general public look at the MS on your sign and get a woody? Probably not. Therefore, no real benefit.

tx oms said:
Ask yourself this: does the general public look at the MS on your sign and get a woody? Probably not. Therefore, no real benefit.

I agree. I would way rather finish the specialty program a year early and not get the MS. Unless you have a insatiable urge to do research, I'd do the certificate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which residencies award an MS? Is it one extra year for all of them?

onetoothleft said:
Which residencies award an MS? Is it one extra year for all of them?
I was told this was the difference between the 2 and 3 year ortho programs.

drhobie7 said:

same with 2 vs 3 year endo programs

drhobie7 said:

not true

There are plenty of 2 year Master's ortho programs out there. As far as what you do with it...you can be like one of the ortho faculty at my school who when signing his name obscured the "S" in "MS" to look very much like a "D"...what a f***ing tool.

drben said:
There are plenty of 2 year Master's ortho programs out there. As far as what you do with it...you can be like one of the ortho faculty at my school who when signing his name obscured the "S" in "MS" to look very much like a "D"...what a f***ing tool.

Anyone know why some programs are 2 and some are 3 years?

drhobie7 said:
Anyone know why some programs are 2 and some are 3 years?
The 3-year programs are generally for dumber people who take longer to learn it all.