CBSE Score Interpretation - What next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FF425

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background:
  • DDS student Class of 2024
  • Began studying in late July 2021 and took Feb 2022 CBSE exam
  • Aimed to score such that I wouldn't need to retake in July 2022 and instead could then use invest that time in other areas of application
Attempting to come up with an arbitrary score cut-off (serving as my retake/no-retake line) while studying, it seemed 225(~80) was an appropriate cut-off
  • As fate would have it, I scored a 220(~78)
Since then, I have searched extensively online and have spoken with a number of current residents at both home program and elsewhere, "pre-omfs" mentors, and various residency faculty members (home program director and program coordinator). The majority, but not all, suggested that they do not believe my score is worth retaking. Also, I'm curious as to whether or not it will be possible to determine any improvements in score if the AAOMS cbse score report format for July's exam reflects the same changes that NBME recently put in action.

What are your thoughts on CBSE score thresholds? - The score which "is no longer worthwhile to retake"
  • Permits justification of shifting priorities (ie Take the time needed to study for retake and allot it to externships/research projects/outreach clinic involvement)
  • Provides applicant with sense of match security/confidence without feelings of "leaving any opportunity on the table" when application season rolls around

Despite collecting a great amount of feedback/collection of personal opinions, its evident that perspectives on this topic are diverse and there is very minimal - if any - objective data to facilitate the making of one decision over another. So, I would genuinely appreciate any and all feedback that you all might have based on your experience (even if its only ~anecdotal~). I understand that while the CBSE clearly appears to hold the most weight, decision to interview/to rank an applicant considers many other aspects of an application. If there is anything else you would specifically consider before deciding retake/no-retake, shoot me a message and I will gladly share whatever stats/applicant-specific attributes. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake if the rest of your app is strong.

Side note - why don't you find out how exactly AAOMS will report the scores?

Reactions: 1 users
You have a great score. We're playing a game where there is no comfortable score until you have an email saying "congrats you matched." Hypothetically, the more times you study for a test the more knowledge you'll have and the better you should do (given you don't half ass study).

I think everyone has to weigh their own personal pros and cons of retaking.
Generically:
Pros- chance at a higher score to make yourself more competitive
Cons- loss of time and money (+ sanity)

But on a more individual level:
Will I be able to put in the amount of effort its going to take to give myself a shot to improve?
What life events will I be missing out on to study?

At the end of the day, the technical answer will be, higher score higher chance. But do I think all other things equal a 78 vs 80+ is going to be the difference between you matching or not, probably not. My verdict- enjoy your summer and apply with a 78.

Don't retake if the rest of your app is strong.

Side note - why don't you find out how exactly AAOMS will report the scores?

It seems that there has been some changes regarding who exactly the point of contact would be for that question

Members don't see this ad :)
Good score. Youll be fine. There actually is quite bit of objective data looking at the whole application cohort. There is a JOMS article posted that discusses average CBSE score for 6 vs 4 years, and a few others that survey the weight of cbse vs other app factors

Good score. Youll be fine. There actually is quite bit of objective data looking at the whole application cohort. There is a JOMS article posted that discusses average CBSE score for 6 vs 4 years, and a few others that survey the weight of cbse vs other app factors

Keep in mind this study was from pre-Covid score inflation.

I image you’ll be fine with that score. You won’t be fine if you can’t interview though. Assuming the rest of your application is solid, you’ve got the cbse score, now practice your interview skills.

We interviewed lots of people with scores in the 80s that we ranked low solely based off their interview. Treat your interview prep as your new cbse prep (assuming all your other ducks are in a row).

Reactions: 4 users

Keep in mind this study was from pre-Covid score inflation.
Fair point, but I'd expect the score inflation has diminished back to normal. Everybody who studied for the CBSE during the real lockdown months have matched in the last two years/some stragglers still applying this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Fair point, but I'd expect the score inflation has diminished back to normal. Everybody who studied for the CBSE during the real lockdown months have matched in the last two years/some stragglers still applying this year.
Scores have gone up and will not go down. If you look at any competitive medical specialty, step 1 scores went up every year. Same is happening with OMFS. It’s a desirable specialty. If you want to maximize your chances of matching, get the highest score possible.

Scores have gone up and will not go down. If you look at any competitive medical specialty, step 1 scores went up every year. Same is happening with OMFS. It’s a desirable specialty. If you want to maximize your chances of matching, get the highest score possible.
Normally that is the case with standardized tests. However, CBSE scores spiked considerably during the last couple cycles, some might say unnaturally. This has led to the belief that the lockdown gave dental students extra time to study for the CBSE. Now things are back to normal for the most part so there might be a pullback in scores, probably not back to pre-Covid scores yet still a decrease.

Shooting for the highest score possible is always the wisest idea. Still, these dynamics do matter if you're trying to decide about retaking.

Last edited:
Background:
  • DDS student Class of 2024
  • Began studying in late July 2021 and took Feb 2022 CBSE exam
  • Aimed to score such that I wouldn't need to retake in July 2022 and instead could then use invest that time in other areas of application
Attempting to come up with an arbitrary score cut-off (serving as my retake/no-retake line) while studying, it seemed 225(~80) was an appropriate cut-off
  • As fate would have it, I scored a 220(~78)
Since then, I have searched extensively online and have spoken with a number of current residents at both home program and elsewhere, "pre-omfs" mentors, and various residency faculty members (home program director and program coordinator). The majority, but not all, suggested that they do not believe my score is worth retaking. Also, I'm curious as to whether or not it will be possible to determine any improvements in score if the AAOMS cbse score report format for July's exam reflects the same changes that NBME recently put in action.

What are your thoughts on CBSE score thresholds? - The score which "is no longer worthwhile to retake"
  • Permits justification of shifting priorities (ie Take the time needed to study for retake and allot it to externships/research projects/outreach clinic involvement)
  • Provides applicant with sense of match security/confidence without feelings of "leaving any opportunity on the table" when application season rolls around

Despite collecting a great amount of feedback/collection of personal opinions, its evident that perspectives on this topic are diverse and there is very minimal - if any - objective data to facilitate the making of one decision over another. So, I would genuinely appreciate any and all feedback that you all might have based on your experience (even if its only ~anecdotal~). I understand that while the CBSE clearly appears to hold the most weight, decision to interview/to rank an applicant considers many other aspects of an application. If there is anything else you would specifically consider before deciding retake/no-retake, shoot me a message and I will gladly share whatever stats/applicant-specific attributes. Thank you
I am currently studying for the CBSE and am trying to lock down a study routine (ie. materials to study, amount of time/day to study). What did you use to achieve this score?