Help me match OMFS, what are my chances? (Poor rank, mid CBSE)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prehealthwhatever

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances to match this year in OMFS? Other than a non cat, what else can I do to improve my chances next year? If there’s anything what can I do to improve my match chances this cycle (can include changing my externship list)?

CBSE: 63 EPC
Extracurriculars: President of a religious club where did a lot volunteering and outreach, some volunteering at place of worship, other school related volunteering (trying to land some research with OMFS chair)
Externships: planning on Case, Rutgers, 2 south schools this summer

Don’t care about 4 or 6 year and planning on applying to at least 60 schools. Was not hard set on OMFS until last summer, current D3. Please help 🙏

Members don't see this ad.

With the current stats, slim chance. Gotta retake that cbse and get a higher score and improve the rank in your D4 year. Extra curriculars dont mean much when the core stats arent good

Reactions: 1 user
With the current stats, slim chance. Gotta retake that cbse and get a higher score and improve the rank in your D4 year. Extra curriculars dont mean much when the core stats arent good
a 63 EPC is like an old 70 supposedly. So not a terrible score.

But yeah, with a rank in the bottom 25% probably need a higher CBSE

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s likely that my rank will be lower this year too. And I definitely won’t be able to take CBSE until next February due to the externships. Knowing my chances are slim so far, is it even worth going through more months of studying endlessly (still need to take boards and finish up school requirements) and sleepless nights for another slim chance to match? I realize it’s a personal question and requires some soul searching, but what factors should I consider? I’m married and have already spent a year away from my wife, we want to have at least one kid in the next 5 years, and I want to do omfs mainly cause I want to do All on X and 3rds in a major city (yes, I know omfs is much much much more and I genuinely want to learn broad scope OMFS, but what cost at this point?)

I think you will have a better idea when you do the externships and see what the lifestyle is like. Only apply if you are willing to do a noncat year if it doesn't workout (this goes for anyone). If there's an OMFS program at your school I would get in the OR and hold sticks for them as much as possible.

And get that research done.

Probably low chance for this year. But a good CBSE + non-cat will make you competitive for next year. If you truly want to do OS then the grind will be worth it.

a 63 EPC is like an old 70 supposedly. So not a terrible score.

But yeah, with a rank in the bottom 25% probably need a higher CBSE
There is another CBSE scoring system/scale now? Idk why they keep changing that stuff

There is another CBSE scoring system/scale now? Idk why they keep changing that stuff
Yeah. old 2-digit -> 3-digit -> EPC.

They also no longer provide any sort of conversion from EPC back to the old 2-digit score for applicants. There is a ‘leaked’ chart that supposedly was given to PD’s to help convert scores. who knows if that’s accurate.

But according to that chart add 4-6 points to your EPC to get back to the old 2-digit score

What are my chances to match this year in OMFS? Other than a non cat, what else can I do to improve my chances next year? If there’s anything what can I do to improve my match chances this cycle (can include changing my externship list)?

CBSE: 63 EPC
Extracurriculars: President of a religious club where did a lot volunteering and outreach, some volunteering at place of worship, other school related volunteering (trying to land some research with OMFS chair)
Externships: planning on Case, Rutgers, 2 south schools this summer

Don’t care about 4 or 6 year and planning on applying to at least 60 schools. Was not hard set on OMFS until last summer, current D3. Please help 🙏
I think a good letter from the chair and a solid interview responses will be key. A 70 on the old scale is probably fine for 4 years but 6 years are supposedly looking for an EPC at or above a 67 so if you’re applying to those retaking wouldn’t be a bad move.