CBSE - July 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rick Sorkin

Reaction score
Let's do this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else absolutely terrified?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else absolutely terrified?
I'm so burnt out at this point I just need to get it over with lol can't fear anything at this point

Anyone have any data regarding NBME 31 accuracy? Difficult to find since not included in online calculators since its so new

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so burnt out at this point I just need to get it over with lol can't fear anything at this point

Anyone have any data regarding NBME 31 accuracy? Difficult to find since not included in online calculators since its so new
I would imagine it’s probably the most representative given it’s the most recent. Or that’s what I’m telling myself since it was my best score.

Taking this for the first time after D1 year... based off practice exam scores ill be helping the curve this time around.
Does anyone whose been in this position before have any advice on how much time to take off after picking it back up to study for Feb? Was thinking a week but knowing myself I won't be able to leave it alone.

Taking this for the first time after D1 year... based off practice exam scores ill be helping the curve this time around.
Does anyone whose been in this position before have any advice on how much time to take off after picking it back up to study for Feb? Was thinking a week but knowing myself I won't be able to leave it alone.
what are you scoring? you finish Uworld/NBMEs?

what are you scoring? you finish Uworld/NBMEs?
I am like 80% of UWorld, averaging around 40-50%. I've done a couple of NBME early 20's and am probably at like at an old two number score of 55/60 for those.
i didn't really know what I was doing and just dove in and finished all of the sketchy micro/pharm before realizing how much of a mistake it was to not go system by system. I have done close to 230,000 anki cards so far too :/ Haven't seen any cards/BB videos for renal or msk, among others, but the fee has been paid so here goes nothing

I am like 80% of UWorld, averaging around 40-50%. I've done a couple of NBME early 20's and am probably at like at an old two number score of 55/60 for those.
i didn't really know what I was doing and just dove in and finished all of the sketchy micro/pharm before realizing how much of a mistake it was to not go system by system. I have done close to 230,000 anki cards so far too :/ Haven't seen any cards/BB videos for renal or msk, among others, but the fee has been paid so here goes nothing
I didn't go system by system; I just bought UW a year ago and did random blocks slowly but surely. Only got 65% of the way through the bank before I switched over to NBMEs last month. Also did Pathoma, and a bit of Sketchy micro. No anki, FA, etc. It's all about quality. Slow down and focus on understanding. The details will stick later. There's repetition built in. You'll get there.

Edit: don't overwhelm yourself with resources

No need to go system by system but I'm confused how you did 230k cards without seeing any renal/MSK what deck are you using? How many cards have you matured?

Using AnKing deck and a pathoma specific deck, which is small
Not sure on total matured cards because like I said, did all the micro/pharm cards and now theyre suspended because I really thought going by system was gold standard.
I am definitely curious as to why my UWorld scores aren't going up faster. Definitely need to do less new cards and focus on learning the cards

for proof:
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 10.23.57 AM.png

I would definetely unlock all new cards and try and mature them while keeping up with old ones before next exam.

Uworld is a learning tool - can't be said enough. Make sure you're doing untimed, tutored mode. If it takes you less than 4 hours to finish a block you're moving too quickly.

If I were you I'd mature the deck, finish Uworld, and make sure you do all NBMEs (20-31) and memorize/understand answers.

Disclaimer: I'm taking first time this Saturday so big grain of salt but I've had a nice upward trend for NBMEs which makes me think I at least half understand some study methods for this exam.

I would definetely unlock all new cards and try and mature them while keeping up with old ones before next exam.

Uworld is a learning tool - can't be said enough. Make sure you're doing untimed, tutored mode. If it takes you less than 4 hours to finish a block you're moving too quickly.

If I were you I'd mature the deck, finish Uworld, and make sure you do all NBMEs (20-31) and memorize/understand answers.

Disclaimer: I'm taking first time this Saturday so big grain of salt but I've had a nice upward trend for NBMEs which makes me think I at least half understand some study methods for this exam.
I appreciate the advice. I definitely think I messed up by spending the first 4 months of my time learning about micro and pharm. I didn't know what 85% of the pathologies were, but was trying to learn what their treatment was. Incredibly dumb looking back, but hindsight is 20/20.
I am going way faster than 4 hours per block, so will slow down with that too.
Following that plan from here on out. I signed up for this exam over confident, and then tried to rush it.

Members don't see this ad :)
should i give myself any time off after the exam? I think i need it but these anki cards dont stop for anyone

should i give myself any time off after the exam? I think i need it but these anki cards dont stop for anyone
I didn’t study for roughly a month after the July exam and regretted it. I would keep up w your anki reviews at minimum.

I didn’t study for roughly a month after the July exam and regretted it. I would keep up w your anki reviews at minimum.
Ok good to know. You'd recommend just continuing with Anki reviews and new cards?

Hopefully next Friday but you never know

Do they email you when scores come out? Or will I just be obsessively checking this thread

how did you guys feel?
I felt the same coming out as I did after my first practice NBME and my last practice NBME and there was a 30 point jump in there, so honestly have no idea. Just never feels good taking this exam, even if you end up doing well it still feels really hard.

40% gimmes
30% pretty sure, but not 100%
20% educated guesses or 50/50s
10% wtf

Imo blocks went 1>3>2>4 in difficulty. I was pretty shocked how hard it was. Made NBME 30/31 seem like a cakewalk. Also I've never run out of time on a practice exam before but I was rushing through all of them.

0/10 experience

Reactions: 2 users
Imo blocks went 1>3>2>4 in difficulty. I was pretty shocked how hard it was. Made NBME 30/31 seem like a cakewalk. Also I've never run out of time on a practice exam before but I was rushing through all of them.

0/10 experience
Do we even have the same forms? I think there may be a pool of questions blocks that they pull from or just questions and generate multiple forms. My blocks, easy to hard, were 1>>4>2>>>3. Block 1 felt like the free 120 and was very straight forward with classic presentations, only a few questions where I had no idea what was going on. 3 was very difficult with long stems, lots of labs or strange graphs, and really weirdly worded answers.

Do we even have the same forms? I think there may be a pool of questions blocks that they pull from or just questions and generate multiple forms. My blocks, easy to hard, were 1>>4>2>>>3. Block 1 felt like the free 120 and was very straight forward with classic presentations, only a few questions where I had no idea what was going on. 3 was very difficult with long stems, lots of labs or strange graphs, and really weirdly worded answers.

Interesting I have no idea how they randomize blocks. To be fair free120 was one of my worst practice tests even thought I took it late lol.

I agree. Thought blocks 2 and 3 were really hard. 4 was a cake walk.
Anyone else feel like there was no biostats?

Surprising amount of dental/OS questions. Block 3 destroyed me. Yeah I think we all have the same form with every block, Q, and even answer choices in the same order, assuming you had the same time slot. Now we wait...

Reactions: 3 users
Dam that literally felt like the worst form I took out of all the NBMEs forms... Block 3 was absurd. Feeling pretty bummed.

Anyone else think it was harder than they expected? I had decent practice scores, but now I'm doubting everything

Anyone else think it was harder than they expected? I had decent practice scores, but now I'm doubting everything
Yeah, I felt awful after my first practice test and felt awful after my last practice test even though I improved by a significant margin. Yesterday felt the exact same. Really can’t gauge it off of how you felt, just need to trust your studying and improvements on practice tests and hope it works out.

I agree. Thought blocks 2 and 3 were really hard. 4 was a cake walk.
Anyone else feel like there was no biostats?
The only biotstats there was…….I had zero idea how to solve

I just felt there were more questions that were super straightforward then the NBME’s

anyone else have flashbacks of marked questions only to realize they were dumb mistakes 😔

I wonder what would be a safe score for 4 year programs? Thank you
With increasing competitiveness, shoot for 70+. 4 year programs are very competitive as well because its very desirable, although 6 year programs generally want to see higher CBSE scores

Only saving grace chuckle I had was one of the ethics questions (without too many details of the questions shared here):

Oh what's that? You want to become a doctor young lady?
>REFER TO PSYCHIATRIC SERVICES