Other Career Options while I reapply? Kind of an atypical situation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lamping

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently part way through my PGY-1 year as a categorical general surgery resident in a great program in the US. I've completed a preliminary year at another US school in general surgery while I was figuring out what I wanted to do with myself. However, over the past six-eight months I've come to realize that I don't like the operating room and am mcuh better outside of it than I am in it. It never 'clicked' for me like I had thought it would. I'm completely fine with the hours, acuity, and workload, but I just don't treasure the OR. After re-examining my aspirations and interests, I am pretty sure that a position in Internal Medicine is where I should be. I know that this sounds like a radical shift, but it's absolutely not a case of the grass being greener. I've really thought this out.

Here's my issue. I'm currently being offered an interview at my home program with their internal medicine department, but this is a really recent development for me and I'm pretty sure that I have missed the chance to match into any other program in ERAS for this application season. My home program is only interviewing me this late in the season as a special case and the phone calls I've made to other program offices have indicated that their IM residency interviews are all filled. So in a way, all my eggs are in one basket. The alternative would be to apply during the next ERAS season, and here's my issue: What do I do in the meantime?

I've got my step 3 scheduled for December and I'm pretty sure I will pass it. My step 1 and 2 scores are great and my LORs from both medical school and my residency experience are very good. I've been doing great so far this year and have gotten great feedback from all my colleagues. My current program director is extremely supportive and has been doing everything possible to help me out (I'm so fortunate that way). I feel like I will be in a good position for the match next year, if it comes to that. I graduated from a good US medical school in the top quartile somewhere, though no AOA. I have some bench research experience, a couple pubs.

Do I have any career options? If I need to look for a job in the meantime while I apply, I'll have finished 2 years in a residency and have completed my step 3.

Thank you so much for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently part way through my PGY-1 year as a categorical general surgery resident in a great program in the US. I've completed a preliminary year at another US school in general surgery while I was figuring out what I wanted to do with myself. However, over the past six-eight months I've come to realize that I don't like the operating room and am mcuh better outside of it than I am in it. It never 'clicked' for me like I had thought it would. I'm completely fine with the hours, acuity, and workload, but I just don't treasure the OR. After re-examining my aspirations and interests, I am pretty sure that a position in Internal Medicine is where I should be. I know that this sounds like a radical shift, but it's absolutely not a case of the grass being greener. I've really thought this out.

Here's my issue. I'm currently being offered an interview at my home program with their internal medicine department, but this is a really recent development for me and I'm pretty sure that I have missed the chance to match into any other program in ERAS for this application season. My home program is only interviewing me this late in the season as a special case and the phone calls I've made to other program offices have indicated that their IM residency interviews are all filled. So in a way, all my eggs are in one basket. The alternative would be to apply during the next ERAS season, and here's my issue: What do I do in the meantime?

I've got my step 3 scheduled for December and I'm pretty sure I will pass it. My step 1 and 2 scores are great and my LORs from both medical school and my residency experience are very good. I've been doing great so far this year and have gotten great feedback from all my colleagues. My current program director is extremely supportive and has been doing everything possible to help me out (I'm so fortunate that way). I feel like I will be in a good position for the match next year, if it comes to that. I graduated from a good US medical school in the top quartile somewhere, though no AOA. I have some bench research experience, a couple pubs.

Do I have any career options? If I need to look for a job in the meantime while I apply, I'll have finished 2 years in a residency and have completed my step 3.

Thank you so much for your help
Get your state medical license. Once you have that, there are locum tenems opportunities. Not many, but there are some.

You need a license to do anything clinical. Without board certification, however, your options will be extraordinarily limited (H&Ps for medical advantage patients is one option). You need board certification to have any good clinical opportunities.