Canadian: University Application - HELP NEEDED!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radiosonic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am in a very tough academic situation. I am currently a Grade 11 student, going into Grade 12 after summer break and from grade 9-11 these are the courses I have taken and my average (listed below).

I was wondering if i would be able to get into in the United States/Canada for Biomedical Engineering:

I'm applying to these schools UCLA, Stanford, Princeton, University of Chicago, Yale ??? (as UCLA is my top choice)

In Canada, Queens, UofT St. George. ???

Please Let me Know is the universities in the United States and Canada I have chosen I have a chance to get accepted into?!

Grade 9 (avg: 87%)
French-81
Gym -92
Geography-85
Science-93
Math-88
Visual Arts-83
Information and Computer Tech. Business-85
English-85

Grade 10 (avg: 90%)
Math-90
Science-90
Gym-94
Civics-87.5
English-90
Canadian History-89
Introduction to Business-96
French-82

Grade 11 (avg: 89%)
Chemistry-89
Biology-90
Physics-85
Accounting-88
Religion-93
English-85
Ancient Civilizations History-85
Functions-90
Law-91

Grade 12

Data Management-90 (taken in grade 11)

Cumulative Average: 88.67%

Members don't see this ad.

This is a forum for medical school admissions. That said, it seems to me that you haven't done much research about applying to US schools or even Canadian schools.

For US schools at least, your school average is quite low for any of the schools listed. You would need an outstanding SAT/ACT score, good extracurriculars, and good personal statements to even be considered. For UofT, biomedical engineering is not a direct entry program from high school. You would have to go through engineering science and choose BME track in your third year, but engineering science is not advised if your end goal is medical school since it would most likely tank your GPAs.

Thanks for the reply. In regards to my SATs I will be getting my scores July 13th as I wrote them June 4th!

For bio-med at UofT the website indicates a direct program from high school for first year undergraduates ? Am I reading this correctly... Could you provide more information for this. I don't want make the assumption!

I also had a question about my Canadian Cumulative Percentage converted to American GPA. What would mine be from an 89%?
Could you also give me details of an exceptional average for Grade 12 that would surely accept me in the United States or Canada.

I didn't go into much detail about myself in the first post in regards to extracurriculars:

Sports:
Softball Team (Creator, Captain and MVP)
Basketball Team
Tennis
Volleyball Team
Track and Field Team (ROPSSAA finalist and MVP)

Academic:

Robotics Club
Waterloo Engaging and Engineering Program
SciHigh Finalist
Helix Program (MATLAB)
Math Contests
Science Club

Clubs/Organizations:
Peer Project Volunteer Liaison
Student Council
Link Crew Leader
Team Unbreakable Ambassador

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a forum for medical school admissions. That said, it seems to me that you haven't done much research about applying to US schools or even Canadian schools.

For US schools at least, your school average is quite low for any of the schools listed. You would need an outstanding SAT/ACT score, good extracurriculars, and good personal statements to even be considered. For UofT, biomedical engineering is not a direct entry program from high school. You would have to go through engineering science and choose BME track in your third year, but engineering science is not advised if your end goal is medical school since it would most likely tank your GPAs.

This depends on what GPA the average is converted to.

Thanks for the reply. In regards to my SATs I will be getting my scores July 13th as I wrote them June 4th!

For bio-med at UofT the website indicates a direct program from high school for first year undergraduates ? Am I reading this correctly... Could you provide more information for this. I don't want make the assumption!

I also had a question about my Canadian Cumulative Percentage converted to American GPA. What would mine be from an 89%?
Could you also give me details of an exceptional average for Grade 12 that would surely accept me in the United States or Canada.

I didn't go into much detail about myself in the first post in regards to extracurriculars:

Sports:
Softball Team (Creator, Captain and MVP)
Basketball Team
Tennis
Volleyball Team
Track and Field Team (ROPSSAA finalist and MVP)

Academic:

Robotics Club
Waterloo Engaging and Engineering Program
SciHigh Finalist
Helix Program (MATLAB)
Math Contests
Science Club

Clubs/Organizations:
Peer Project Volunteer Liaison
Student Council
Link Crew Leader
Team Unbreakable Ambassador
For UofT, BME is a major you can only declare as an engineering science student. Refer to this link.

Your extracurriculars seem pretty well-rounded. Make sure you can write a compelling personal statement; with a good SAT, you may just be competitive for the US schools listed. As a side note, I personally would not choose UCLA over UofT since you will be paying the over-the-top US college tuition for similar public school experience.

Thanks for all your help. Also, I was wondering what you would recommend for Pre-Med.

If your end-goal is medical school, I would strongly advise against going to US for undergrad. The tuition is simply too high to justify whatever perceived reputation these schools supposedly have. Stay in Canada for undergrad, try to do well in all courses, and apply to both US and Canadian medical schools.