Canadian IMGs and 2023 ECFMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Canuck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I've researched the looming IMG-aggedon and it seems pretty straightforward re: The US match. However, what I can't seem to find is whether ECFMG certification is necessary to write the MCC exams and/or participate in the Canadian match. My gut says "no," but can anyone provide a definitive answer?

Members don't see this ad.

No ECFMG certification is not required nor does it confer a benefit in the Canadian system.

It is not required to register for MCC exams or to enter the CARMS match.

Reactions: 1 user
ECFMG certification is a qualifier for IMGs to apply for residency training in the US, why would it be required to write Canadian exams? If you had to write the USMLE in order to be eligible to write the MCC... why would we even need or want the MCC exams? Just go off of the USMLE in that case.

Hi sidefx,

Thanks for joining the conversation.

CAN/US residency equivalency is thoroughly documented, so it's natural to ask if a change in US criteria could impact CAN requirements. Here are the two passages taken from the MCC site that made me question it:

1. Taken from:(http://mcc.ca/examinations/mccqe-part-i/application-information/)
If you are an International Medical Graduate (IMG), a U.S. graduate, or a graduate from a U.S. School of Osteopathic Medicine, and ONLY if you have not already done so, you must create a Source Verification Request (SVR) through your physiciansapply.ca account, and submit a copy of your final medical degree diploma.

Note: Completed source verification of the diploma (verification returned – passed) is required for eligibility to apply to the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part II.

2. Taken from: (ECFMG | Medical Council of Canada)

I wondered if the SVR process used by ECFMG would have the 2023 rules applied or if they simply verified that the degree is authentic and the school has a sponsor note (criteria seen on the 1st link above).

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally get that everything to do with medical training is anxiety producing. But I have no reason to mislead you.

The US and Canadian Graduate medical education systems are run separately from one another. The ECFMG (which actually doesn’t admister any exams) has a business where it provides primary source verification of documents for medical regulators and examination bodies in countries outside the US; when the perform primary source verification the person with the credential does not need to be ECFMG certified or eligible for them to provide source verification. It just means they will pick up the phone or communicate with the issuer of the credential and have documentation sent to them to show that the credential that you submitted is authentic; they will do that for organization that pays them and has nothing to do with ECFMG certification.

Get FCVS certified as soon as you graduate

Hi Y'all,

I've researched the looming IMG-aggedon and it seems pretty straightforward re: The US match. However, what I can't seem to find is whether ECFMG certification is necessary to write the MCC exams and/or participate in the Canadian match. My gut says "no," but can anyone provide a definitive answer?

Definitely not. ECFMG certification is only required to begin residency training in the US, you would not even get this until you graduated which if applying in 4th year, means after the US match. Nothing to do with Canada.