Can we stop propagating the stupid myth about anesthesia and red hair!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somedumbDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One stupid study w a n 20 done in 04' (who of us even own cars that old?)showed an 20% increase in mac volatile anesthetics.... and now everyone who is a ginger, or miss informed dolt propagates this myth!!! If one of my crnas or old partners say this one more time I (being a ginger) say give me the same damn dose of prop/sevo as everyone else and play music if I can name even one song after waking up I'll give you 100k cash...

A later study by the same researchers in 2013 found absolutely no difference in IV anaesthetic requirements for red-haired females. The study concluded: “Anecdotal impressions among anaesthesiologists that propofol [a common IV anaesthetic] requirements are increased in redheads thus seem unsubstantiated”.

In addition, a larger study performed by Australian researchers in 2012 examined 468 adult patients undergoing surgery and general anaesthesia and, contrary to prior findings, showed that patients with red hair had no higher anaesthesia drug requirements than patients with black or brown hair.

They concluded: “We found no evidence that redheads had increased anaesthetic requirement or faster speed of recovery after surgery. Nor was there any evidence of a difference in pain response, pain intensity, or other adverse effects after anaesthesia and surgery…we could find no evidence that a patient’s natural hair colour meaningfully affects anaesthetic requirement”.

Ref
Anthony G. Doufas, MD, PhD, Mukadder Orhan-Sungur, MD, Ryu Komatsu, MD. Bispectral Index Dynamics During Propofol Hypnosis Is Similar in Red-Haired and Dark-Haired Subjects. Anesth Analg 2013;116:319–26

PS Myles, FF Buchanan, et.al. The effect of hair colour on anaesthetic requirements and
recovery time after surgery. Anaesth Intensive Care 2012; 40:683-689

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve always filed this tidbit under the “who cares?” category, whether true or not. The presence or absence of red hair has never altered my anesthetic plan in anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear patients with purple hair only require half the amount of MAC regular people need. I saw this study once but can't link it :rolleyes:.

/s

As long as they respond normally to roc it makes no difference to me...

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not sure I can trust a study by a Dr. Doufas

Reactions: 2 users
I remember reading a study somewhere that attributed the increased MAC requirements to the lack of soul. Let me see if I can dig that up....

Reactions: 2 users
They taste really good in a chilli tho!

I'm not sure I can trust a study by a Dr. Doufas

The first time I ever worked with him, I asked him about the pronunciation of his last name (because... well, I was curious). He told me it was Greek in origin and supposed to sound like, “tzoo-fas” (like the word tzatziki) but he got tired of correcting everyone, so he doesn’t even bother anymore.

Last edited:
I've had red hair patients who don't respond well to MAC and local anesthesia for soft tissue stuff. There's data to prove that there is a decreased sensitivity to local anesthetics.