This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Finishing up my peds anesthesia fellowship in a couple months, and I am joining a 50/50 adult/peds PP when I'm done. One of the things I'm having such a hard time with accepting is that I will not be doing any pedi hearts. Love doing pedi hearts. Peds cardiac anesthesia is a new fellowship and with the amount of peds cardiac experience I have during fellowship, multiple people telling me that training wise, I definitely do not need to have an advanced fellowship to succeed. One of the main reasons I decided to not do an advanced fellowship is because in general I hate doing acedmic things and most of the pedi heart jobs are in large academic centers that would require me to do some research. Having trainees and doing lectures I'm fine with, but I have no interest in research whatsoever. Those who do complete an advanced fellowship tend to go to these huge academic centers (Texas Children's, CHOP, Boston Children's, etc). I have other reasons for not doing the 2nd year of fellowship.

I know that there are still small congenital cardiac places that will do apprenticeships/on-the-job training for peds cardiac anesthesia, but these jobs are so hard to find! These are the places where the advanced fellowship trained people probably have no interest in going to. There's no good resource for finding these places, so I'm just reaching out into the universe to see if one exists out there for me specifically in the NYC/tri-state area.

Thanks,
luster

Members don't see this ad.

It’s not tri-state, but I trained at Maine Medical. Sounds like what you are looking for. Different surgeon than when I was there, but they do Pedi hearts. Not a research-based academic center, just a smaller training program. You could likely negotiate a similar 50/50 adult/Peds mix.

Feel free to PM for more info.

Reactions: 1 users
I won’t recommend going solo without good support after doing a handful( even double the minimum) of cases in fellowship for pedi hearts and saying you are ready for the big leagues.
I’ll co-sign going to an academic institution that does all variety of cases that will mentor you along the way ( 6 months ) .
I’ll recommend emailing academic institutions of your interest and if the opportunity for just plain clinical job exist. There is a dearth of pediatric cardiac anesthesiologist and most will jump at the opportunity . That was the path a decade ago and even with the acgme , some still exist

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s not tri-state, but I trained at Maine Medical. Sounds like what you are looking for. Different surgeon than when I was there, but they do Pedi hearts. Not a research-based academic center, just a smaller training program. You could likely negotiate a similar 50/50 adult/Peds mix.

Feel free to PM for more info.

You can definitely do better than Maine. They have some of the most conspicuously stupid, annoying, and narcissistic anesthesia faculty I’ve ever encountered. Sure, many of them went to XYZ prestigious training program, but does that really much matter if they’re not so bright as well as unpleasant? You won’t personally have the advantage of a prestigious pedigree by training there. Did I mention that they went to prestigious training programs? Im sure they’ll mention it too. 🙄

Reactions: 1 user
You can definitely do better than Maine. They have some of the most conspicuously stupid, annoying, and narcissistic anesthesia faculty I’ve ever encountered. Sure, many of them went to XYZ prestigious training program, but does that really much matter if they’re not so bright as well as unpleasant? You won’t personally have the advantage of a prestigious pedigree by training there. Did I mention that they went to prestigious training programs? Im sure they’ll mention it too. 🙄
Oddly enough in med school I did an EM rotation at MMC. They told me endlessly about their prestigious residency EM training too. Maybe it's a hospital-wide policy! I do know one anesthesiologist there, and they're normal. But that's just an N of 1.

I will say Maine is a beautiful state though, and that hospital is nice.

• Haha
Seems like just the kind of place willing to take on an apprentice.
:shifty:

Narcissists and Aholes. Did you train there? I’d be interested to know your experience, and who these characters were. Feel free to PM.

Narcissists and Aholes. Did you train there? I’d be interested to know your experience, and who these characters were. Feel free to PM.

Why would I do that? The purpose of my post was to warn others about the malignant nature of that department. It was not to confide in an apologist bootlicker that in all likelihood shares the characteristics that make Maine a poor choice.

....and there it is.

If you're going to blast an institution anonymously, stand up and tell us your specific experience. You spent 4 years there? 1 year? Interviewed and didn't get accepted?

I'm not defending anything. Been more than a decade since I was there, anything could have happened. But getting back to the OP, I would be interested in your suggestion for a non-academic pediatric cardiac surgery program in the Northeast. At no point did I suggest MMC is an ideal program. I simply stated the program exists, and would be an option. I would imagine there are only a handful of programs that fit the request, and thus far only two are suggested in this thread.

....and there it is.

If you're going to blast an institution anonymously, stand up and tell us your specific experience. You spent 4 years there? 1 year? Interviewed and didn't get accepted?

I'm not defending anything. Been more than a decade since I was there, anything could have happened. But getting back to the OP, I would be interested in your suggestion for a non-academic pediatric cardiac surgery program in the Northeast. At no point did I suggest MMC is an ideal program. I simply stated the program exists, and would be an option. I would imagine there are only a handful of programs that fit the request, and thus far only two are suggested in this thread.

And there it is… You’re anonymously recommending a ****ty program without standing up and giving your specific experience. The inability to recognize hypocrisy. What does that say about you? I’d reckon it means that you’re stupid.

My specific experience starts with the fact that I actually attended the program in question for 4 years. I graduated. We all did. We all passed our boards. We all completed fellowships. Then we all landed the jobs that we wanted. Sounds like the kind of residency program most people would ask for.

Now, until you are willing to state your experience or affiliation with Maine, I’m not sure what you are contributing. Calling everyone and everything stupid without any substantive evidence to support your accusation is just that- stupid

My specific experience starts with the fact that I actually attended the program in question for 4 years. I graduated. We all did. We all passed our boards. We all completed fellowships. Then we all landed the jobs that we wanted. Sounds like the kind of residency program most people would ask for.

Now, until you are willing to state your experience or affiliation with Maine, I’m not sure what you are contributing. Calling everyone and everything stupid without any substantive evidence to support your accusation is just that- stupid

40% attrition rate in my class. Residency on ACGME probation. Many of the same stupid @ssholes that were running the program at the time are still there. One notable exception would be the @sshole that shot himself in the head in his garage in front of his wife. I complained multiple times about my concern for his mental instability and inappropriate behavior to no avail (the guy really liked to **** with me severely). He was a senior partner in their group and like everyone else, could do whatever the **** they wanted. I don't feel bad about his death. The guy was a piece of ****. Just an example of how ****ed up things were/are there, and his blood is on their hands.

Also, I never called everyone there stupid, just many of the faculty there as well as yourself. Both are true.

Passing your boards is the absolute very minimum expectation for an anesthesiologist and an extremely low bar. I could have done it after intern year.

Your training likely sucked and you apparently are oblivious to it.

Steer clear of Maine. It's ****hole.

Not northeast, but one of my colleagues is peds fellowship trained and worked at a community hospital in Peoria, IL for something like 8 years doing peds hearts. I believe his experience was one of mentored on the job training. I know no other details. Not even sure if that program is still in existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.