California license by credential

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to find out the option for california license. And, since I took ADEX prior to 2019, that option doesn't apply to me.
After graduating dental school, I have been working as GP for a little over 1 year, and I came to ortho residency and about to graduate.
The board of California provides licensure by credential, having "a total of at least 5000 hours in five of seven consecutive years." And here is where I got lost. Are they saying I have to have been working for at year 5 different years among the last 7 years for more than 5000 hours, or is it good enough if I fulfill 5000 hour requirement within the last 5 'or' 7 years?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

What about licensure by residency? I believe you need a pgy1 residency to satisfy their requirement. No need for any examinations etc

Reactions: 1 user
What about licensure by residency? I believe you need a pgy1 residency to satisfy their requirement. No need for any examinations etc
I thought thats only referring to GPR or AEGD. Does 3 years of ortho counts? I know it does not for other states such as north carolina.

Also got a reply back from california board, and they said "5,000 hours of clinical practice in the last 5-7 years combined (minimum of 1,000 hours per year; must be completed in a U.S. State or territory)".

I just wanna clarify.. according to the above guideline, will it be ok to have 5000 hours within 2 and half year or 3 to get approved?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're licensed in another state then you can directly apply for licensure by reciprocity as well. I've checked with the board on this

If you're licensed in another state then you can directly apply for licensure by reciprocity as well. I've checked with the board on this
Hi there!

Could you elaborate on this? I am currently in ortho residency in NY but considering California after graduation or a couple years of work.

I took the Prosth/Endo ADEX examination in fall of 2020 prior to the change of acceptance by California, and did not take any perio or restorative exam due to the pandemic.

Based on reciprocity, are you saying that I could directly apply for licensure after graduation from my residency in NY? Or I would still have to go through the 3 years (from what I understand CA requires 5 years but 2 of residency can count) and apply then? And I am not sure if you have the answer to this, but what is the process of applying via credentials or endorsement? How do you show your practice hours? What documents do they want in terms of proof?

Thank you for your help.

Hi, Were you guys able to get license by credential. The board says if you agree to work in a public setup for 2 years that would compensate the 5000 hours work requirement. My question is- Can I apply to this if I have an active license from different state without any work experience