Best route to getting into hospital administration for doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkLordofSith

The Diet Coke of Evil
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested at getting involved in healthcare administration and was wondering what the best route for me (and doctors in general) to take would be. I'm currently doing an internal medicine residency at a large mid-tier university program.

Before I started medical school, I did an MPH in Healthcare organization and policy from a "top 10" school and an MBA in Healthcare administration from a school that's ranked top 5 in that field. What is the best way for me to get started on this track in residency? I finished my MBA almost 7 years ago, so I'm not sure how useful my contacts there would be. I'd appreciate any advice those of you that are along the path or are already administrators could offer. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Take on leadership roles where ever possible. That can be committees, informally among your peers, or mentoring less senior medical staff. What you want to do is differentiate yourself as a leader. Once people perceive you as a leader who can deliver results you can begin moving up in a formal role to a VP of medical affairs or chief medical officer role. Same idea for the non-clinical leadership positions but as a physician you have a strategic advantage that you should leverage. General administration has much lower entry barriers than the clinical side (no med school) so I would probably stay on the clinical side unless you are totally losing interest in it.

When you are talking 'administration', what level are you referring to?

Residency PD?
Department Chair?
Hospital-level management?
Health system-level management?

I agree with you, 7 years is unfortunately a long time for non-utilized contacts and unfortunately (as you know), unlike wine, they don't get better with age.

In regards to actual advice, I agree with the crux of the post above mine. Get your footing, build your rep, and get ready to play politics.