Best Medical Specialty for Administrative Role

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riceboom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS2 here, very interested in taking on a non-clinical/administrative role in healthcare. However, I do want to finish a residency and have clinical foundation before I go into administration. Any ideas to what might be a specialty that could be best suited for my career goals? In my experience, I've seen a lot of PCPs take up non-clinical jobs, but not sure if this is because of a salary disparity or actual qualification to take up broader role.

Members don't see this ad.

MS2 here, very interested in taking on a non-clinical/administrative role in healthcare. However, I do want to finish a residency and have clinical foundation before I go into administration. Any ideas to what might be a specialty that could be best suited for my career goals? In my experience, I've seen a lot of PCPs take up non-clinical jobs, but not sure if this is because of a salary disparity or actual qualification to take up broader role.

They have the time. I've seen all types of physicians become administrators, but in my experience those who have higher-earning potential are only willing to make the change to full time if they are not losing salary. Those with lower earning potential probably make the same calculation but their numbers are different/lower.

Reactions: 1 user