Best Phone for Pod Apps during Clinicals/Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marry2Pod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All - I want to get a phone that would be good for third and fourth year student rotations. I am debating between the iPhone and the Droid. Is there a significant difference? Is one better than the other for podiatry applications, etc? I am not looking for iPhone vs Droid fans to tell me theirs is the best. I just want to know if one is better than the other for practical purposes, or perhaps no difference at all. Or maybe another phone I am unaware of? Or does the type of phone not even matter? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All - I want to get a phone that would be good for third and fourth year student rotations. I am debating between the iPhone and the Droid. Is there a significant difference? Is one better than the other for podiatry applications, etc? I am not looking for iPhone vs Droid fans to tell me theirs is the best. I just want to know if one is better than the other for practical purposes, or perhaps no difference at all. Or maybe another phone I am unaware of? Or does the type of phone not even matter? Thanks!

get the iphone because you can play angry birds on it

and it has this app called "talking bacteria" where you can say something and have a really cute blue bacteria repeat it back in a hilarious voice. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Epocrates. It's free for both Droid and iPhone.

On a less serious note, Fatbooth on iPhone is quite hilarious. :thumbup:
My brother just sent me a picture he fatboothed me in. Looks very realistic. It inspired me to stick to my exercise plan.

I have a question in the same arena as the OP. Instead of a smart phone, would a devise such as an itouch suffice in providing the benefits of med apps? I ask because I had a Palm Treo,which was awesome, but switched back to a basic phone. I didn't use the web quite enough to justify the price tag and believe the same would happen with other smart phones.

I have a question in the same arena as the OP. Instead of a smart phone, would a devise such as an itouch suffice in providing the benefits of med apps? I ask because I had a Palm Treo,which was awesome, but switched back to a basic phone. I didn't use the web quite enough to justify the price tag and believe the same would happen with other smart phones.

I use the iTouch and yes, it would do very well for you. Good luck.

Epocrates. It's free for both Droid and iPhone.

On a less serious note, Fatbooth on iPhone is quite hilarious. :thumbup:

I have a Blackberry and have Epocrates on my Blackberry. However, there is also a pharmaceutical app through Medscape that is similar to Epocrates that I happen to prefer and it's also free. Epocrates has a free version which is pretty basic and some versions which have a fee.

The Medscape free app has some features that the free Epocrates version does not have, such as non prescription medications, herbal meds, supplements, etc.

Here is the link to the free Medscape app: http://www.medscape.com/public/mobileapp?src=hp-mobileapp

are you talking about a device that you can keep in your pocket but use for reference material? Then I don't think a Ipad would work, unless you carry it around with you all day with your charts. Then there's the fear of it getting broken, misplaced, etc. In addition to you don't want to look like you are playing on the ipad.

Yes, exactly - a phone that has applications for reference materials.