Basic science research vs clincal research for med school applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kcha95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short I am a current 4th year student in a 0 to 6 PharmD program. I completed a premed minor last year, and after much deliberation (see my previous posts if curious), I have decided to pursue medical school following graduation.

I am currently in the honors program and must decided on a faculty mentor to conduct a research project with. We have the option of choosing from faculty of both faculty and clinical science disciplines.

I was initially approached by one of our basic science faculty members earlier in the semester. His project revolves around the incidence of kidney stones with certain heavy metal exposures. We will primarily be working with cell cultures and fly models. I will have opportunities to perform various experiments and tests including cultures, assays, flowcytometry, etc.

More recently I have been talking with a clinical faculty member. I pursued him because he specializes in critical care, which is my main interest. I shared with him that I would like to become an anesthesiologist and he offered me shadowing opportunities at his site. He does not have an ongoing project but mentioned that if I choose to work with him the project will most likely involve retrospective analysis of a recently implemented protocol in the setting of the ICU.

After considering my options over my spring break I decided that it would most likely be best to work with the clinical faculty member given my interests. After informing the basic science faculty member he requested to meet with me to discuss my decision further. He informed me that a basic science research experience/publication would be more beneficial for me when applying to medical school. However, I discussed this idea with several past honors students and they felt that this was not the case.

So with all this being said, does admissions have a strong preference for one area of research experience over another?

EDIT: I should also add that this project will be conducted over 2 years, so I want to make sure that I am making the correct decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Dont listen to the basic science PI. Go clinical research. Clinical research exposes you to medicine and clinicians. Also projects are finished faster.

As a side question, do you think adcoms prefer clinical research over bench science? Or is bench research okay if that's what you enjoy
Any research is fine. Dont fret about research type

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dont listen to the basic science PI. Go clinical research. Clinical research exposes you to medicine and clinicians. Also projects are finished faster.
Thank you. I also wanted to mention that I have felt pressured by the basic faculty member to join his project. But I didn't want to mention this before hand because I wanted unbiased replies. I felt that he said medical school would prefer basic science research as a tactic to get me to join his project. However, I don't have any evidence to prove this and wasn't sure if he was just giving me advice or not. He only has 3 students working in his lab now and 2 are leaving after this semester. I don't want to incorrectly assume that I am being pressured but it really feels that way.

Thank you. I also wanted to mention that I have felt pressured by the basic faculty member to join his project. But I didn't want to mention this before hand because I wanted unbiased replies. I felt that he said medical school would prefer basic science research as a tactic to get me to join his project. However, I don't have any evidence to prove this and wasn't sure if he was just giving me advice or not. He only has 3 students working in his lab now and 2 are leaving after this semester. I don't want to incorrectly assume that I am being pressured but it really feels that way.
He needs bodies. Basic science need people like you to carry out western blots and pcr. You could get your own project in the basic science lab if you wanted but clincal research is probably more enjoyable.

He needs bodies. Basic science need people like you to carry out western blots and pcr. You could get your own project in the basic science lab if you wanted but clincal research is probably more enjoyable.
Ok cool, thanks for your help! That's what I'm assuming too based on our conversations, but there I can't figure a way to find out for sure. I think I'd enjoy clinical more too, but I didn't know if what he said about admissions was true, or if it was more or less a scare tactic of sorts.

Ok cool, thanks for your help! That's what I'm assuming too based on our conversations, but there I can't figure a way to find out for sure. I think I'd enjoy clinical more too, but I didn't know if what he said about admissions was true, or if it was more or less a scare tactic of sorts.
Most certainly a scare tactic. He needs you more than you do.