AZCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know when these will be posted to our accounts?

Not sure if they should already be there and I incorrectly filled out the FAFSA or something... this is all so confusing.

So I just talked to the financial aid office as promised and heres what I was told:

1) Tuition increase is expected to be between 5-7% (or she could have said 5.7% but I think it was 5-7)

2) Cost of Attendance figure has not yet been determined

3) We should get our award letters 30-40 days before our program start date

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like admissions committee will meet Thursday for the last batch of interviews... little nervous but excited!:D

Oh wow, the interview season is now over??

Well, good luck to the rest of you waiting on answers. I hope you will be receiving good news soon. There seem to be some well-deserving waitlisters, so I hope things work out! :luck: I look forward to finding out who the rest of my future classmates will be! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just talked to the financial aid office as promised and heres what I was told:

1) Tuition increase is expected to be between 5-7% (or she could have said 5.7% but I think it was 5-7)

2) Cost of Attendance figure has not yet been determined

3) We should get our award letters 30-40 days before our program start date

Hope that helps!

Thanks, that really did help. What sucks is the potential 7% tuition increase. Ouch.

The interview season is not over yet. I have an interview at the end of this month. When I scheduled it (in early March) there were three interview dates available (April 29, April 30 and May 1).

its not over, but they do it by groups, so this group of interviews is getting decided on this thurs!:confused:

Do they interview one on one and interview 30~ minutes each person or is it three on one and then a 30~ minute ish interview?

can anyone who has interviewed tell me?

Do they interview one on one and interview 30~ minutes each person or is it three on one and then a 30~ minute ish interview?

You have a 30 minute interview with three faculty. The int is actually like 20, with 5 minutes for you to answer questions and 5 minutes for them to write stuff down about you.

I had 30 min with 2 physicians (One faculty, one not) and a 4th year medical student. I remember glancing at the clock when they asked me if I had any questions to ask and I had burned like 26 min so I asked them questions until time was up. Its a bit different for everyone, both which group you interview with (the "B" group on my day had 1 physician and 2 research faculty) and how long they ask you/you ask them questions for.

You have a 30 minute interview with three faculty. The int is actually like 20, with 5 minutes for you to answer questions and 5 minutes for them to write stuff down about you.

To further add to this, I'll say that there are different combinations of interviewers. Some people had 3 physicians interviewing them, others had 2 physicians and a 4th year student. I personally had 1 PhD basic science professor, 1 physician, and 1 fourth year student interviewing me. So it just depends which group you get assigned to on interview day. Also the questions can be totally different even from the same interviewers. Like some people in my group got asked questions about their motivations for medicine etc, while others got asked more ethical/personal type questions... so it all just depends.

Even though I know interviews can be nerve-wracking, I would try not to stress about it too much.... just be authentic and engaging in your interview. After my interview, there were a few questions that I thought I could have answered better if I wasn't on the spot. However, I still lucked out and got accepted anyways. I think once you get to the interview stage, they are fine with your numbers/stats and just want to see what you're like as a person.

To further add to this, I'll say that there are different combinations of interviewers. Some people had 3 physicians interviewing them, others had 2 physicians and a 4th year student. I personally had 1 PhD basic science professor, 1 physician, and 1 fourth year student interviewing me. So it just depends which group you get assigned to on interview day. Also the questions can be totally different even from the same interviewers. Like some people in my group got asked questions about their motivations for medicine etc, while others got asked more ethical/personal type questions... so it all just depends.

Even though I know interviews can be nerve-wracking, I would try not to stress about it too much.... just be authentic and engaging in your interview. After my interview, there were a few questions that I thought I could have answered better if I wasn't on the spot. However, I still lucked out and got accepted anyways. I think once you get to the interview stage, they are fine with your numbers/stats and just want to see what you're like as a person.

And to further add to that, the interviewers don't have your numbers/stats. One of the admissions staff told my interview group that if you have been offered an interview, they feel your stats and numbers are good enough to go to medical school, they just want to get to know you as a person. But like rkaz said, relax and be yourself, the interviewers are very personable and friendly. Also, don't second guess yourself when you are done, be happy you have completed your interview and enjoy the tour and campus. I remember not being able to recall my answers to certain questions and worrying about what I said but when I thought about it later I realized I was probably fine.

Yeah, they said the numbers thing when we got there and got the initial rundown of the day.

I'll throw this in though: I put my numbers on my resume (since I was using the same one for the SMP) and the physician and PhD that interviewed me mentioned that they wish they had numbers because sometimes it tells a more complete story. I guess it was a just a little thing they let out, because they were glad to see my scores, even though they're not so hot :oops:

Anyhow, just a heads up. Put what you think is good for you resume.

When are people selecting their lenders? I guess most people do this in June/July? I leave the country the end of June and get back the end of July...then have to move states...maybe I should arrange things with a lender before leaving?

Members don't see this ad :)
When are people selecting their lenders? I guess most people do this in June/July? I leave the country the end of June and get back the end of July...then have to move states...maybe I should arrange things with a lender before leaving?

Im not sure if it was the wisest thing to do but I used the school's lender (since MWU is a school-as-lender program, not all schools have it I guess). I figured that was easiest. If it ends up that I find a better one I will use them for 2nd year.

Im not sure if it was the wisest thing to do but I used the school's lender (since MWU is a school-as-lender program, not all schools have it I guess). I figured that was easiest. If it ends up that I find a better one I will use them for 2nd year.

Do you happen to know what rates you got? MWU goes through Sallie Mae and when I click on their info for MRU-as-lender program, it just states you get a .25% interest discount if you pay with an auto debit account...?? I hate this stuff...We have until just before classes start to pick a lender though, right? Because, I, like many, am waitlisted at other schools that I am sort of holding out to hear from. If I don't hear from them by mid-June...I'll give up. But in the mean time, I don't want to sign a promissory note with a lendor, and have to change institutions. Or do lenders allow this? I dont think they do because they charge an entrance fee and state that the institution must verify that you are indeed matriculating. So your promissory note is locking in which institution they are agreeing to provide loans to...confusing! and now I am just rambling...sorry everyone! Anyone who is remotely good with this stuff, PLEASE chime in. :D

I met a lot of people in this last interview session (March 27th-April 6th) and just wanted to wish everyone luck.

I met a lot of people in this last interview session (March 27th-April 6th) and just wanted to wish everyone luck.

Thanks, Ki45toryu! Just called to find out that I've been accepted!

Good luck to everyone else, I'm going to spend the rest of the day pretending to work because I'm too pumped to focus on anything!

on the "alternate list" boo hoo.... hopefully i find out sooner rather than later

on the "alternate list" boo hoo.... hopefully i find out sooner rather than later

sorry to hear it, I'm in the same situation. Stay positive!!

does anyone know if they call us if we get accepted off the alternate list? I know for sure they do this when it gets later in the game and you only have 24 hours or so to get in your deposit, but I wasn't sure how it works earlier on.

sorry to hear it, I'm in the same situation. Stay positive!!

does anyone know if they call us if we get accepted off the alternate list? I know for sure they do this when it gets later in the game and you only have 24 hours or so to get in your deposit, but I wasn't sure how it works earlier on.

Do you know where you are on the list? Do they give out that information upon request?

Do you know where you are on the list? Do they give out that information upon request?

They claim the list isn't ranked, so in the past I've never heard of anyone getting any sort of idea of where they are on the list. Which...sucks. I'm in the masters program here right now, and if I don't hear by the first week in July (when my lease is up) I have to move back to Ohio...and then I could end up getting accepted and have to move all the way back here...which would NOT be fun. So in that circumstance it would definitely be nice to have an idea of whether I should just put my stuff in storage (top of the list) or move it all back (bottom of the list). My MCAT is also going to be too old for next cycle so I'll need to study for/retake it this summer...and again it would be nice to know what the chances of my not needing to retake it are.

So this might have been covered before and i didnt see it, but has anyone this year or in past years gotten off wait lists at azcom? When did it happen for you? I guess it will be different for each person, but its really hard to plan my summer and whole next year without even having a general idea.....

So I have decided on sending in a letter of intent to the school. I was planning on also sending updated transcripts (so it includes fall 08) and also I have a letter of recommendation from a professor that I didn't send them the first time around and also I am a varsity athlete and my coach wrote me a really good letter that I didn't send them. Does anyone think that that is a good idea to send two more LOR's or just the one from my coach that is on a more personal level than my previous ones? would that just annoy them?

i would send in everything that you think would show you positively, sending in alot of stuff shows your really interested in going to azcom. good luck

So I have decided on sending in a letter of intent to the school. I was planning on also sending updated transcripts (so it includes fall 08) and also I have a letter of recommendation from a professor that I didn't send them the first time around and also I am a varsity athlete and my coach wrote me a really good letter that I didn't send them. Does anyone think that that is a good idea to send two more LOR's or just the one from my coach that is on a more personal level than my previous ones? would that just annoy them?

I'm not sure if it will help that much, but I don't think it could hurt. I plan on sending a second update/LOI, new personal statement, 3 additional professor LORs, a copy of my capstone poster, and updated final transcripts to one of the schools I am WL at. I spoke with the director of admissions first though to confirm that I would get a positive response. And I'm not sure who the director of admissions is at AZCOM. Good luck.

Thanks, Ki45toryu! Just called to find out that I've been accepted!

Good luck to everyone else, I'm going to spend the rest of the day pretending to work because I'm too pumped to focus on anything!
well congrats on the acceptance...and good luck to those on the WL, i'm sure everything will work out

Just called today and found out I was placed on the Alternate List. Grrr. Anyone know if they have called anyone from the Alternate List or how many people they usually pull up? And how do they rank their Alternate List? I can't seem to find anything on that... Thanks!

Just called today and found out I was placed on the Alternate List. Grrr. Anyone know if they have called anyone from the Alternate List or how many people they usually pull up? And how do they rank their Alternate List? I can't seem to find anything on that... Thanks!

You have a couple of us friends by association here. They wont tell you where you are on the list or anything like that.... Its kind of depressing because i would like (and im sure everyone else would too) to find out at least if i have a chance or if i dont.

Can anyone tell me if you carry anything during the interview like a folder or anything, or do you show up with like a briefcase of some sort?

I guess I'm being paranoid, but I just want to know.

anyone give me some advice?

Can anyone tell me if you carry anything during the interview like a folder or anything, or do you show up with like a briefcase of some sort?

I guess I'm being paranoid, but I just want to know.

anyone give me some advice?

I carried my briefcase which ended up being a pain. they give you a folder with info but i still brought a pen and padfolio..i just think it looks more professional in interviews. plus i'm able to hand out my business cards to the interviewers if i want to. (it helps to clarify that i'm not a phd student but a researching faculty member with spiffy cards:) ). you should be fine with a professional looking tote bag or just a padfolio/pen if you want.

Ladies and gents of AZCOM, I am honored to be a part of your osteopathic family. I just rejected UCLA today and decided to go to AZCOM. Before anyone gets a seizure let me explain by saying that I have always been the one to take the road less taken. I have been in the middle of this decision for a couple of months now and it has made it difficult to sleep at night. It's like I've got the Grudge or somethin'. After going on a pilgrimmage and doing some soul searching, it seems like the birds, flowers, and wind had pointed me towards the direction of Arizona. I even paid $5 to a psychic who evaluated me. Although I didn't understand anything she told me, I made the assumption that she was telling me to go to AZCOM. In any case, I am happy with my decision. Finally, I'll get some good sleep! Good luck to the rest of you in the application process. I look forward to meeting the rest of the osteopath junkies.

ladies and gents of azcom, i am honored to be a part of your osteopathic family. I just rejected ucla today and decided to go to azcom. Before anyone gets a seizure let me explain by saying that i have always been the one to take the road less taken. I have been in the middle of this decision for a couple of months now and it has made it difficult to sleep at night. It's like i've got the grudge or somethin'. After going on a pilgrimmage and doing some soul searching, it seems like the birds, flowers, and wind had pointed me towards the direction of arizona. I even paid $5 to a psychic who evaluated me. Although i didn't understand anything she told me, i made the assumption that she was telling me to go to azcom. In any case, i am happy with my decision. Finally, i'll get some good sleep! Good luck to the rest of you in the application process. I look forward to meeting the rest of the osteopath junkies.

:)

Last edited:
Part of the last interview group...woohoo!

Reading the posts for this discussion, I've come away with a couple of concerns that I'm hoping someone can address...

1) A class size of 250 for the class of 2013? Is it just me or does this is quite large...almost to the point of being kind of ridiculous? Most schools, both allopathic and osteopathic, shoot for 160-180. Why?

2) For those of you that have interviewed...I dropped by the AZCOM campus last month when I had an interview with ATSU and was impressed with how the front of the campus looked but reflecting on what I saw and what I've read...it really does seem like AZCOM made the campus to look like "eye-candy" in order to attract prospective students. With rising tuition costs and match rates similar if not a bit better than other D.O. schools, I'm concerned that the school isn't spending money the right way...which is on its students. Anyone else got the same feeling as me?

Part of the last interview group...woohoo!

Reading the posts for this discussion, I've come away with a couple of concerns that I'm hoping someone can address...

1) A class size of 250 for the class of 2013? Is it just me or does this is quite large...almost to the point of being kind of ridiculous? Most schools, both allopathic and osteopathic, shoot for 160-180. Why?

2) For those of you that have interviewed...I dropped by the AZCOM campus last month when I had an interview with ATSU and was impressed with how the front of the campus looked but reflecting on what I saw and what I've read...it really does seem like AZCOM made the campus to look like "eye-candy" in order to attract prospective students. With rising tuition costs and match rates similar if not a bit better than other D.O. schools, I'm concerned that the school isn't spending money the right way...which is on its students. Anyone else got the same feeling as me?

For #1, it is my understanding that they increased the class size to help the major physician shortage that Arizona currently has (and it will be even worse in the next ten years). Also, I definitely would not complain about this since now there are more spots for YOU and everyone else to get a change to go to medical school. I interviewed really early, but I am def grateful for this class increase because I for sure will be going to medical school in the fall. I am waitlisted at my in-state school currently (an allopathic school) and I think they have 300 students, if that makes you feel any better about the class size comparison.

For #2, I really like the way AZCOM looked. I don't know if it is just "eye-candy" or not, but it made me feel like I was on an actual campus unlike many medical schools which are contained within a couple floors of some giant building (no campus feel whatsoever). I really have no clue as to how they spend the money, but from everything that I have heard on this forum it seems that the new dean is working hard to get better rotation spots, the match lists are pretty good, and they are increasing the parking lots and have just built an enormous "wellness center" to accomadate students. I don't really know anything else about this topic though.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

And yes, I am grateful that the class is that big but its just a concern of mine that when it comes down to rotations, we have 250 students + U of A (150 lets say) + ATSU (10-20)...so we're looking for 400 spots at least to rotate...that's a lot of spots to have opened. I'm not from Arizona so I'm not really sure of the situation but regardless...250 seats was the largest medical school class that I had heard of until now.

Also, I have to agree with you that the campus did have a really nice feel to it...but at the same time, I was semi-concerned with the front the school was putting up. Regardless, we'll see how I like the school in a week!

And yes, I am grateful that the class is that big but its just a concern of mine that when it comes down to rotations, we have 250 students + U of A (150 lets say) + ATSU (10-20)...so we're looking for 400 spots at least to rotate...that's a lot of spots to have opened. I'm not from Arizona so I'm not really sure of the situation but regardless...250 seats was the largest medical school class that I had heard of until now.

Also, I have to agree with you that the campus did have a really nice feel to it...but at the same time, I was semi-concerned with the front the school was putting up. Regardless, we'll see how I like the school in a week!

The class size is huge. Classes are still smaller than what they were in my undergrad, but if you want more personal/one-one contact with professors then maybe azcom isn't for you. The rotations thing isn't going to be a problem (plenty of hospitals in the area. This valley is HUGE). Also 20 students from each class will be going to Ohio.

As far as the "eye candy" thing. I think that really IS spending money on the students. I love our campus and the feeling there is a huge part of the reason I chose this school. I'm sure there are others out there who were similarly influenced by the look and feel of the campus. These kinds of "perks" will lead to more people that want to go there and a better applicant pool to choose from. This will lead to better students (if the admissions committee does their job) and a better reputation for the school. It is a win-win-win situation.

Now granted I haven't attended any other medial school, so I can't directly compare.... But honestly I don't think the 250 is a huge deal. I was previously in the master's program at MWU-Glendale prior to starting med school here, and had classes with other programs (which were smaller than AZCOM). Honestly, you really can't tell the difference if there are 150 other students around you or 250 students around you.

I will also say that one of the main reasons I chose to stay at AZCOM for medical school was because of the professors-99% of them are amazing and are truly there to teach.

Ya I can feel you with the rotation thing, but I am sure that they are working hard to figure that out. Also, I think that 40 ppl from our class will be going to Ohio if I remember correctly from the interview presentation. It used to be 20 when the class was 150.

I also forgot to mention that I currently go to the University of Michigan for undergrad, so I am currently in a class of 6000 or so and at least one of my classes per semester has over 500 kids in the lecture hall (and the lecture is given at 3 different times). So 250 sounds small to me hehe

From the interview day, Azcom really seemed to be in tune with student needs, so hopefully everything works out for the best.

I'll see u on campus unless I hear from my in-state school :)

I go to the University of Minnesota...2nd largest student body in the nation and just have never really understood the significance of cramming a bunch of students into a lecture hall like sardines in a can. haha

I go to the University of Minnesota...2nd largest student body in the nation and just have never really understood the significance of cramming a bunch of students into a lecture hall like sardines in a can. haha

I mean it maximizes revenue for sure. It's truly sad when they say outright at the beginning of the semester that the gpa must be curved to a 2.7 at the end due to department policy. It'll be inevitable that in every class, some students pay full price and must fail out.

I mean it maximizes revenue for sure. It's truly sad when they say outright at the beginning of the semester that the gpa must be curved to a 2.7 at the end due to department policy. It'll be inevitable that in every class, some students pay full price and must fail out.

Are you referring to Minnesota or AZCOM here? :confused: I seriously hope you are not referring to AZCOM as that would be horrible if classes were forced to be on a bell curve.

Even for programs that use a bell curve, isn't there any set cut offs for grades? For instance, let's say someone gets a 75% in a class (which I think is around 'C' grade). But if the class average is an 85%, then does the person with a 75% get a 'D' instead?

In my undergrad school, we had something similar to a standard grading system which I really liked. 90-100 = 'A'; 80-89 = 'B', 70-79 = 'C' etc. Sometimes there were curves (especially in really hard classes like Ochem), but those curves were ONLY to help students by allowing for an upwards adjustment (if the average was really low) and the curves never went below the standard cutoff percentages. For instance, if a class did really poorly on an exam and the average was a 65%, then someone with an 88% could get an 'A' due to the upward curve adjustment. Conversely, if the test went really well and the average was an '85', the person with say an 82% still had a 'B' grade NOT a 'C' due to not allowing the curve to go below the standard cutoffs. So it was a win-win for students. The great thing about a percent system is that you just need to compete with yourself to get the grade you want, and don't have to worry about competing with anyone else. This leads to far more student support for one another.

I have always heard that students are really supportive of one another at AZCOM, so I would naturally assume a fair grading system would be in place.

Last edited:
Oh no, I was talking about Minnesota or from what I know about them. My undergrad (U of TX at Austin) is the one that required a 2.7 gpa, at least in the physics department. Consistently, the curve was against us, but every now and then, it helped the class significatly. Basically, by university policy, people had to fail in order to achieve this gpa.

I don't know if other places do this, but being at AZCOM's SMP, there is no curve, so you get what you get.

Oh okay.... whew, thank goodness. :thumbup: I got pretty alarmed at the last message. :eek: Even though I know medical school will be a lot of work, I just want to enjoy it as much as possible and have fun learning... and not have to worry about some crazy curve system on top of everything else.

My father has stories about when he was a student (like 35 years ago) in India, and they had some crazy curve system where the bottom 1/3 of students automatically failed even if they did a pretty good job. :scared: That kind of competition is just horrible, and I'm sure med students would become neurotic if they had that kind of pressure on top of all the studying they had to do.

Minnesota undergrad definitely doesn't do that. Maybe the medical school...

Hey everyone. I got accepted into AZCOM recently. My only hangup with the school is the tuition cost. I have an opportunity to get into a post-bac program at KUMC which will allow me to get into KUMC's 2010 class if I successfully complete it. It will make my med school debts much smaller if I do that, but I don't want to give up my seat if things don't go as planned. Do any of you know AZCOM's policy on deferral of acceptance?

Hey just an fyi....

Basic sicences at AZCOM are graded by letter grade ( A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C , C-, F) and there are no curves. Most test averages are around 85%.

Oh okay.... whew, thank goodness. :thumbup: I got pretty alarmed at the last message. :eek: Even though I know medical school will be a lot of work, I just want to enjoy it as much as possible and have fun learning... and not have to worry about some crazy curve system on top of everything else.

My father has stories about when he was a student (like 35 years ago) in India, and they had some crazy curve system where the bottom 1/3 of students automatically failed even if they did a pretty good job. :scared: That kind of competition is just horrible, and I'm sure med students would become neurotic if they had that kind of pressure on top of all the studying they had to do.

Yeah, sorry; I didn't mean to scare you. I just thought we were reminscing about our undergrad days.

But DocWah is correct here:

Hey just an fyi....

Basic sicences at AZCOM are graded by letter grade ( A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C , C-, F) and there are no curves. Most test averages are around 85%.

There's no curve it is a +/- system, another thing I'm not used to. An A is 93 and above.

I also agree with you; I'm really interested in just learning as much as I can and having a life while I'm there. I thought about being neurotic and aim for a top 10% spot in the class or something, but I don't know yet. Maybe it's just the part of me that doesn't want to dread the next 2 years but rather enjoy them. Who knows :cool:

hey guys! I'm just trying to come up with a budget for the next couple of years, so I'm wondering how much the electricity bill usually costs? I know there will be variability depending on how energy-conscious people are, but let's say i'm relatively cost-effective- what would be the range I should expect?

Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.