away rotations in neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayhawk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanting some advice for where i should do an away rotation or two in neuro? i'm looking to move away after i graduate so any advice as to which schools have great programs would be gladly appreciated!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i did an away rotation at Wash U last year called "Clinical Aspects of Aging and Dementia". it was excellent, and wash u is a top neurology program. on the interview trail, i met a person who really enjoyed the visiting rotation at columbia (i think she was at harlem hospital). a friend of mine did a visiting rotation at northwestern in behavioral neurology (working w/ mesulum) and he enjoyed that as well

it kind of depends on where you intend to do residency. if you want to go to a specific region, i would pick themost well known two or three neuro programs in that area and apply to them for aways electives (you don't need to do that many rotations, but just to cover your bases in case a place can't schedule you).
if you want to go to the a "top ten neuro program", i would apply to three or four of these top ten programs and see what works out.

if you want to go to a specific school: apply for different roations at that school

and letters: try to schedule it for july or august if you intend to get a letter from that rotation (you should aim to have your sfmatch application in by the second week of september)

hope this helps, good luck

Hey fellow jayhawk! I am a 3rd year down in the 'TA. I am also interested in neurology. One of the students in class of 03 got into a very good neuro program and i had a chance to pick his brain. He did no externships and got in. Residencies are not that competitive in neuro. KU does not have a good neuro program, maybe this will pick up with the new brain imaging center. I've heard very good things about Utah, Indiana Univ and the schools in TX. Also, you should talk to the neurologists up in KC and they will likely give you a wealth of information.