Aus schools will examine my post-bacc work, right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayski2030

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a history major entering into a post-bacc program in the Spring to complete all the science req's. When I apply to med schools, those in Aus will examine those grades, won't they? I heard that they don't consider grad degrees/certificates, but they will surely require my post-bacc classes for admission. ANy word on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by jayski2030
I'm a history major entering into a post-bacc program in the Spring to complete all the science req's. When I apply to med schools, those in Aus will examine those grades, won't they? I heard that they don't consider grad degrees/certificates, but they will surely require my post-bacc classes for admission. ANy word on this?

It's not that they officially require any pre-med classes, but rather that you do well enough on the MCAT to demonstrate the same knowledge.

Flinders *offers* to "look" at post-bac coursework, but it will not officially count towards your weighted gpa -- in other words, if you do exceptionally well on it, this will affect your status *minimally* and indirectly (and if you do poorly, you'd be smart not to show them). I realize this sounds ambiguous, but it's policy by design (leaves them some wiggle room).

The other grad programs (certainly UQ and USyd, I think Melbourne and ANU) don't even want to be shown such coursework -- they officially could care less...EXCEPT if it's been 10+ years since your last degree, it will matter (to what extent I don't know), in order to show the schools you're capable of doing the required courseload.

-pitman

I did all my science as a post-bacc and had no problems with the Aussie schools.

good luck!