US vs Aus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adtivy

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster -- having scoured the forums for a similar dilemna and found nothing decided to ask for advice here :) Hope this is an acceptable sort of post?

I'm an Australian-American dual citizen; lived in both, currently in Australia (finishing up HS; grades 7-12 done here so to an American college I'm an international student but eligible for federal aid). I'm very passionate about medicine and have made up my mind that it's the career I want. If you're about to give me a reason I shouldn't pursue medicine, I've already heard it. That's not what I'm here for. My dilemna is whether I should study here in Australia or return to the US. Considerations as follows:

Australia:
- Not taking HS chem, which some med programs want. Not the end of the world however it does narrow my options marginally.
- Feel very confined here. There is not a huge range of options available.
- If I train as an Australian doctor, going to the US to practice is extremely difficult as you have to sit USMLE and undergo an American residency. Getting American residency as an Australian doctor is also difficult to begin with. I really struggle to see myself in Australia forever.

+ Admission will not be an issue. Current predicted ATAR is 99.7, EAS + EAP bring selection rank up to 99.95 & make me a good early entry candidate.
+ Natural and easy path for me to take. About 30-40% of my school's graduating cohort goes into some sort of medical field.
+ Cheaper.
+ Really appreciate Medicare etc & its role in the public health system

USA:
- More expensive. Not world-endingly problematic but still important consideration. Not going into med for the money.
- Leaving behind friends & family!
- Will be a slightly longer and harder path

+ Better universities/med schools/general education. Australian schools are not bad, but there are better ones in the US.
+ More options, more opportunity, etc.
+ Liberal arts degree. Not the same in Aus.
+ Have the flexibility to move back to Australia much more easily (and could always consider Ochsner)
+ Definitely feel like I'm going to get more challenge and stimulation in the US for a variety of reasons that all come down to it being a bigger country.

Would especially appreciate input from anyone who has made any sort of vaguely similar decision. At the moment definitely leaning towards the US and know that this gives me flexibility to return. However it's a very big decision so would love some help! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you think American medical schools are better than Australian ones? If you have been reading league tables, forget them. University administrators manipulate the statistics in order to rise up the charts.

As for challenge and stimulation, university libraries and lecture halls are the same everywhere. If you study medicine in Australia and still want an arts degree you would be easily able to afford one with the money saved by not paying for medical school in the USA.

Members don't see this ad :)
As Damson said, go to school where you want to practice. Coming from the US to Australia as a doctor is probably easier, but it's very specialty dependent and still can be quite challenging or annoying.

Since you're leaning towards the US, maybe go to an American university and hopefully you can decide over time where you want to stay. If you're still not decided, Ochsner is an option since it will allow you to return to Australia if you want, but four years of CSP tuition at an Australian medical school is ~30-40K USD--about half one year's tuition at UQ-Ochsner.

To elucidate some of Wolvv's comments, CSP means commonwealth supported place. Attending med school in Australia with CSP saves a ton of money
If you get into University of Newcastle/University of New England's 5-year Bachelor of Med Sci/MD program, Flinders's 6-year B Med Sci/MD program, or whatever else is available for school leavers in Australia, you reduce the time needed to finish schooling is reduced by a lot
No standardized board exams for general medical licensure, only med school + internship

For you @adtivy , I'd take advantage of that ATAR you've got and just get into a kickass CSP accelerated med program in australia