ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you guys all get the white coat clarification email??

Members don't see this ad.

Now why would you waste good syrup on my porch? Come on now Superman, we gotta be frugal.

haha, I wouldn't do that to yall =) I'm too nice! And besides, I love pancakes and French toast too much to waste my syrup!! =)

Did you guys all get the white coat clarification email??

Yes, I got this too. . .I was one of the annoying emailers that made them come out with a clarification email haha

I just received an email saying I am next up for a seat when one becomes available. I have decided to go with AZCOM or UNE. Best of luck to those who need this seat!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an email saying I am next up for a seat when one becomes available. I have decided to go with AZCOM or UNE. Best of luck to those who need this seat!

Thanks for the update, movement is so slow! Thinking about just showing up there the first day of class, maybe they will have a spot open, lol.

ok im off scott street and osteopathy, wheres the nearest bar?? :D

I hear Dukum Inn is a good one to go to. . .I'm only 5 blocks away! Definitely within walking distance =)

Dukum Inn has some great burgers.

mmmm, that sounds good already haha. . . .do they have sweet tea in Missouri? I hate that it is not here in Southern Cali and I miss it soooo much from back home.

mmmm, that sounds good already haha. . . .do they have sweet tea in Missouri? I hate that it is not here in Southern Cali and I miss it soooo much from back home.

Eh.. yeah at most places.. if you call it sweet tea. Most of the time I don't care for the restaurants version of sweet tea so I just use sugar packets if I want it.

Eh.. yeah at most places.. if you call it sweet tea. Most of the time I don't care for the restaurants version of sweet tea so I just use sugar packets if I want it.

Oh ok, haha. . .I guess you just cannot be the sweet tea from the South!

hey everyone, getting closer to that time! moving out august 1st into a place off osteopathy, cool one bedroom for only 325!! Is anybody studying to get a leg up on classes? I got a sweet anatomy book with only photographs of cadavers- might browse through that, id imagine memorizing all that is going to be a challenge in lab. Anyways, what is everyone planning to do before school starts, anybody find fun stuff to do in town? When should we be expecting financial packets??? Until I get that done my mind wont be at ease- I still feel like KCOM administration is going to call me a couple of weeks before and say; "oh just kidding, we cant accept you" :( Its all too much, actually, my mind wont be at ease until classes begin with me in them. Ill try to enjoy the rest of this summer that seems to be going by incredibly slow, but it still seems to good to be true. Me? going to be a doctor? incredible

My best advice to you is to not even open that anatomy book. You are going to be looking at it so much after you start that you are going to want to burn it when you are done with the class. Relax, enjoy your summer, and have fun!!

Dukum Inn has some great burgers.

"2nd best burgers in town" ha.

there are plenty of bars downtown, but I recommend trying out the local dive bar "full moon." It's a more chillax atmosphere.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok im off scott street and osteopathy, wheres the nearest bar?? :D

There is a liquor store on the corner of scott and osteopathy conveniently..i live 2 blocks down the street from it. ;)

Is there any sweet happy hour deals in Kirksville?

i will hold off on that anatomy book then......thanks

Dukum is a cool bar, I went there with a friend when I was in town for the interview.

So what is kirksville like crime-wise? is it safe to leave doors unlocked etc? is there a lot of traffic/people coming through kirksville?

Current students: what, if any, clinical experience do you get in the first 2 years?

If I remember right there is all you can drink for $5 at Il Spazio on Monday... not sure about the details on this, but I'm in-who's coming with me?

Also new and current students whats the deal with immunizations. I got my DTP, polio, and MMR do we need to get other stuff done? I didnt really understand the email that was sent out????

Also new and current students whats the deal with immunizations. I got my DTP, polio, and MMR do we need to get other stuff done? I didnt really understand the email that was sent out????

That email is confusing in my opinion.. I understood it as we must have DTP and Polio immunization prior to starting, and the others (MMR, HepB, Tdap, TB, & Varicella) were not required before starting. I emailed Debra about it because I have documentation on everything except Varicella. I asked her that since it wasn't listed under the Prior to Matriculation heading if we would get whatever else we need there, but she said that ALL (except for the recommended ones at the bottom) were our responsibility and must have them before we start.

Soo... I guess it's safe to say that it's best to just get documentation on everything. By the way, she also told me that even if you have had chickenpox as a child and you have physician documentation, you MUST have a serum titer done.

Polio vaccine? Is this common? I haven't seen this at other schools.

I don't know if it's a common requirement at other schools, but as far as I know, and as long as your parents allowed you to get vaccinated, you should have been given it not long after you were born.

I just handed that email to my FP (a DO alum from KCOM), who said just proving I had chicken pox as a kid was fine ... guess I'll have to change that.

I forwarded you the email between Debra and I. Hopefully that'll explain it, but feel free to ask her for clarification.

Yeah, I talked to my mom today, and she has no idea if there is any documentation for my chicken pox. I'm sure it would be in some medical file somewhere. Haha, she told me though that at the Peds office, they just wanted me out of there since it is quite contagious. Looks like I'll be getting that anti-body test. . .sigh, I hope it isn't expensive. . . .

Ok seriously theres like 20 vaccines to get, we have to get ALL of those before getting to kirksville? WTF. YOu would think getting so many vaccines is going to put you on your ass for a week or two :D. Is the TB skin test the same as an immunization or is that just some other crap cuz I got that this summer before I toured UNSOM

Ok seriously theres like 20 vaccines to get, we have to get ALL of those before getting to kirksville? WTF. YOu would think getting so many vaccines is going to put you on your ass for a week or two :D. Is the TB skin test the same as an immunization or is that just some other crap cuz I got that this summer before I toured UNSOM

haha, you should just go through Bootcamp with the military. I have no idea what kind of vaccines they gave me, but they seem to inoculate you against everything! The skin test is not an immunization, but just a test to see if you have an immune response to Tuberculosis, which would indicate that you have been exposed to TB in the past and may still even have the infection. If you can provide documentation of your test, then you won't need another test until one year since your last test.

Skin test is all you need..as long as it was done within the year I believe. I dunno if it has to be done within the last year I just know that I've had to have it done every year while working in the hospital.

Hey guys I just had a few questions about the equipment we will need for school. I heard we are getting a bag with all the equipment we will need. When do we get it? How much is it (is it incuded in tuition or optional)? Do you need everything in there or would it be better/cheaper to buy a steth and other more important things seperatly and not buy the bag? Any current med students have any advice? Thanks!!

hey guys i just had a few questions about the equipment we will need for school. I heard we are getting a bag with all the equipment we will need. When do we get it? How much is it (is it incuded in tuition or optional)? Do you need everything in there or would it be better/cheaper to buy a steth and other more important things seperatly and not buy the bag? Any current med students have any advice? Thanks!!

+1

Hey guys I just had a few questions about the equipment we will need for school. I heard we are getting a bag with all the equipment we will need. When do we get it? How much is it (is it incuded in tuition or optional)? Do you need everything in there or would it be better/cheaper to buy a steth and other more important things seperatly and not buy the bag? Any current med students have any advice? Thanks!!

Ok, I'll +2 it :)

Ok, I'll +2 it :)

My friend who goes there said it's included with our tuition. We get it the same day as our white coat.

Edit:
It includes a stethoscope, otoscope, fundoscope, panoptic scope, BP cuff, tuning forks, and reflex hammer.

My friend who goes there said it's included with our tuition. We get it the same day as our white coat.

Edit:
It includes a stethoscope, otoscope, fundoscope, panoptic scope, BP cuff, tuning forks, and reflex hammer.

Ohhh awesome. . .we can be ballin' student doctors at the white coat ceremony then!

that reminds me of when my friend got his reflex hammer we went out that night and tested it on everyone at the bar. Probably not the best idea as we both got kicked in the face a couple times :D

I can't wait to get all our gear!

Hey all,
A new apartment complex just opened up across the street from school that looks like it could be a lot of fun. Rent is 375 for a one bedroom and 399-525 depending on income for a two bedroom. It looks to be geared towards the students in Kirksville (truman and KCOM). If interested call (660)665-2905. If someone would post this on the facebook group for KCOM 2014 i'd be pleased.

Also, clinical experience during the first two years is minimal. You do average a couple of patient encounters a quarter but those are standardized so not a lot of true patient contact. YOu will get a two week preceptorship in between years one and two. I really enjoyed those two weeks and was happy to see all the stuff I'd been learning and then put that to real life.

Good luck to all still waiting.

For those coming, enjoy your summer. DON"T STUDY!!! YOU'll do more then you want when you get here and no amount of studying before you get here will lessen your burden. Good luck and have fun.

<p>.</p>

Last edited:
If anyone is going to get internet via CableOne... good luck. They have the most squirrelly hours. Something like 9:00 - 4:30, so if you or your significant other is working before school, good luck trying to reach someone.

And if you have a residence that utilizes propane... be it for hot water and/or range top, be prepared to have to pay for the remaining gas in the tank and for the love of everything Holy... get a leak check or someone will come and disconnect your propane without notification and you will wake up to an ice cube shower and you will be unable to get said utilities back until you schedule one...which is at their convenience.

Frustration abounds.

My lessons learned from this past week.

Good luck to all of you moving in or preparing to do so in the near future.

See you this Fall.

Anyone else not able to access things from myATSU? I cant access the immunization form, or the file upload for insurance proof. It asks for my username and password again, and says it is invalid. This is the case for most items in the portal. I can access e-mail though.

Anyone else not able to access things from myATSU? I cant access the immunization form, or the file upload for insurance proof. It asks for my username and password again, and says it is invalid. This is the case for most items in the portal. I can access e-mail though.

I just tried to get on and didn't have a problem. You might want to try calling the ATSU IT help desk folks.

Anyone receive their financial aid yet?
I haven't yet, but I received an email yesterday saying mine had been selected for verification.. I guess they think my information is wrong or something. I dunno.. but we should probably be hearing from them very soon.

I haven't yet, but I received an email yesterday saying mine had been selected for verification.. I guess they think my information is wrong or something. I dunno.. but we should probably be hearing from them very soon.

I called and asked about financial aid last week. They said we should receive our award letters and loan information at the end of July, so it should be soon!

Wow, I haven't been on SDN in forever. . .hopefully everyone is enjoying their summer. I definitely am, and I've been trying to stay away from the computer a lot haha. Anyways, I just recieved my financial aid award letter today. . .yay for major debt that I am about to own! :rolleyes:

Mine has a work study to meet the full COA, did I fill out my FAFSA incorrectly?

Mine has that too...do they really expect us to work next year??