ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys! Ya it felt amazing to get the call! lol great feeling!

Good luck wonderboy any day now :xf::D

Members don't see this ad.

It seems movement has started to happen. I got the call today that I can attend this year if I would like.:)

I have only two problems:

1) I already paid 2000 to another good school. OUCH:mad:

2) I cannot and will not accept unless they take "Wonderboy".:D

"We must all stand together or we will certainly all hang alone!" or is that all attend alone. I am not sure. Oh well...

I will decide by tomorrow, or to be honest, should I say my better half will do so by tomorrow. I will let you know her final judgement...:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems movement has started to happen. I got the call today that I can attend this year if I would like.:)

"We must all stand together or we will certainly all hang alone!" or is that all attend alone. I am not sure. Oh well...

I will decide by tomorrow, or to be honest, should I say my better half will do so by tomorrow. I will let you know her final judgement...:scared:

lol thanks, I am constantly checking my cell to see if I missed a call, pretty sure I am driving everyone else around me crazy too in the wait. Hope it ends soon!

Congrats on the offer. Its a good problem to have, two pretty good schools!

Good luck with the decision

I saw Wonder Boy post, and I was hoping it was to tell us you were in!! Keep hanging on, I've got a good feeling you'll get it, and best of luck!!!

I'm in the same situation, Wonderboy...praying that I will get the call and constantly checking my cell phone. Hang in there :)

Best of luck to everyone still waiting, I have paid all my deposits and could not be happier about moving to Kville in a few months.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting, I have paid all my deposits and could not be happier about moving to Kville in a few months.

+1.

You nailed down housing yet???

so what did your better half have to say? any decision made?

After much debate (between my wife and ????) it has been decided that I will be deferring my acceptance to KCOM until next year.

Those who know me from past post know that I have acceptance at another fine medical school and I plan on attending there unless something happens with an adoption process that we are involved with in Russia. It may be best for me to take a year off and take care of it. If that happens then I will attend KCOM class of 2015.

I like KCOM and I also like KCUMB so no true lose
other than I was not able to convince Donna to take WonderBoy.
She was like "WonderBoy who?"
I said "You don't know WonderBoy?" "Well, then I guess you don't know much!"
Just then I woke up from my mid afternoon nap, in a sweat, and called Donna and told her I will deffer until next year...lol:oops:

I will be more than likely at KCUMB and happy....Good luck to all. Tomorrow someone will be getting a great phone call.:laugh:

I played phone tag with Donna today because I was at work... but I got off the "accepted pending seat list"!!! :D

But, much like scooper... I already paid a $2,000 deposit at Touro-CA, which is much closer to home, and things in general. lol.

But, my boyfriend would be closer (he is attending SLU med), when compared to our California-Missouri commute. I also think KCOM is probably a better school... but I still feel at a loss as of what to do!? Any input is appreciated!

I played phone tag with Donna today because I was at work... but I got off the "accepted pending seat list"!!! :D

But, much like scooper... I already paid a $2,000 deposit at Touro-CA, which is much closer to home, and things in general. lol.

But, my boyfriend would be closer (he is attending SLU med), when compared to our California-Missouri commute. I also think KCOM is probably a better school... but I still feel at a loss as of what to do!? Any input is appreciated!

In the long run, what is $2000? If you think that you will be happier at KCOM, will do better as a student, and if you have the money to send in for another deposit, then I think you should choose KCOM. From experience, my fiancee lives in North Carolina for the time being, and I am in California, sooo just from a relationship perspective, it is very hard to do the cross-country thing. Doing a distant relationship while in Medial School would prove even more difficult I think. I'm glad my fiancee has decided to come with me to Kirksville! From a relationship perspective, I think KCOM will be a better choice; however, only you know what is truly best for you. I wouldn't let $2000 hold you back though unless it is truly financially burdensome. Anyways, that is just my opinion. . . .

In the long run, what is $2000? If you think that you will be happier at KCOM, will do better as a student, and if you have the money to send in for another deposit, then I think you should choose KCOM. From experience, my fiancee lives in North Carolina for the time being, and I am in California, sooo just from a relationship perspective, it is very hard to do the cross-country thing. Doing a distant relationship while in Medial School would prove even more difficult I think. I'm glad my fiancee has decided to come with me to Kirksville! From a relationship perspective, I think KCOM will be a better choice; however, only you know what is truly best for you. I wouldn't let $2000 hold you back though unless it is truly financially burdensome. Anyways, that is just my opinion. . . .

Thank you for the advice Superman! I definitely think I will see my bf more often than if I stayed in CA. He is starting his third year, (we've already done two years of the long distance thing), and I know that he wont have much time to visit these next two years. So, being a drive away will make it much easier on us.

I have spoken to those close to me and they helped me weigh the pros and cons... I've decided that KCOM is the place for me! I think that I will get a great education, and as you said, probably study more because there aren't as many distractions. My mom wanted to point out that there is a much lower crime rate, and cost of living is much lower also.

In summary, :) I sent Donna an email accepting her offer just minutes ago.

I look forward to meeting all of you this summer!! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice Superman! I definitely think I will see my bf more often than if I stayed in CA. He is starting his third year, (we've already done two years of the long distance thing), and I know that he wont have much time to visit these next two years. So, being a drive away will make it much easier on us.

I have spoken to those close to me and they helped me weigh the pros and cons... I've decided that KCOM is the place for me! I think that I will get a great education, and as you said, probably study more because there aren't as many distractions. My mom wanted to point out that there is a much lower crime rate, and cost of living is much lower also.

In summary, :) I sent Donna an email accepting her offer just minutes ago.

I look forward to meeting all of you this summer!! :soexcited:

Wahoo!! Yay for you! =) See you in August!

When is everyone planning on moving to MO?
I'll be moving there in mid-July.

@CAkitty
My girlfriend will be moving to St. Louis this summer to start grad school. I've made the drive from KCOM to their a few times and it's not too bad, so being able to actually hang with your boyfriend is definitely reasonable! Congrats on being accepted and choosing KCOM!

15 July +/- a few days. Will be living it up on Osteopathy.

Does anybody know when we are supposed to here about financial aid stuff?? Donna gave me a call back in Dec. about a scholarship, but I haven't heard anything yet from the school since I sent my FASFA to KCOM.

I called about this awhile ago and I think they said sometime in May.

Does anybody know when we are supposed to here about financial aid stuff?? Donna gave me a call back in Dec. about a scholarship, but I haven't heard anything yet from the school since I sent my FASFA to KCOM.

We didn't get financial packages until July last year

Accepted....just got the call this morning! So excited! What have people found to be the best way to go about finding housing? Craigslist? Go to Kirksville and look? Also, are most single people living with roommates or by themselves? I appreciate any input!

Accepted....just got the call this morning! So excited! What have people found to be the best way to go about finding housing? Craigslist? Go to Kirksville and look? Also, are most single people living with roommates or by themselves? I appreciate any input!

Congrats on the acceptance! =) Are you looking to live by yourself or with roommates? If you are looking for roomies, the facebook page will be a good place to start as other people have also been looking for roommates, and many of them have already found nice places. You should be getting the request to join soon now.

It is hard to found housing stuff in Kirksville online, at least when I did my searching. Craigslist does not have many listing, nor does the online Kville newspaper. I used a reality to find my apartment for next year. . .Heritage House Reality. There are a few others as well. Since it is already May, you're options will be more limited, but I am sure you can still find a place. Start making some phone calls of things you find online, and begin talking on the facebook page when you get the request. Plan on making a trip back to Kville to secure up a final lease. Congrats again!

The school should have an online database with a list of places in K-ville that are available or people whom like to rent exclusively to KCOM students. GOOD LUCK

I took a place in the woodwind apartments. Have you picked anything yet JP?

Yup. Splitting a nice little place off Osteopathy. Now it's just a waiting game ...

When you heading out there???

I am headed down around the 15th of August, it is only a 3hr drive for me, so no biggie, and I want to work as long as I can. It would be nice to have a little income for the first few weeks.

What about you?

I am headed down around the 15th of August, it is only a 3hr drive for me, so no biggie, and I want to work as long as I can. It would be nice to have a little income for the first few weeks.

What about you?

My drive is a bit longer than 3 hours (lol) so I'm making a road trip out of it. Unsure when I'm leaving, but I need to get there a little early because I'm bringing very few things and need to buy necessities when I arrive (bed, furniture, etc).

We should definitely try to hang out first few weeks or so!

Hey friends! Did you guys flip through the clubs and organizations e-mail that admissions sent out? Theta Psi caught my eye, but the website just had very surface level information. I like that they have all the old exams and board tests to study off of, I am sure that comes in handy. I definitely want to get involved in something when school starts up.

I am really excited to meet you all in a few months, PM me if you feel like chatting it up before then. Take it easy!

hey everyone, getting closer to that time! moving out august 1st into a place off osteopathy, cool one bedroom for only 325!! Is anybody studying to get a leg up on classes? I got a sweet anatomy book with only photographs of cadavers- might browse through that, id imagine memorizing all that is going to be a challenge in lab. Anyways, what is everyone planning to do before school starts, anybody find fun stuff to do in town? When should we be expecting financial packets??? Until I get that done my mind wont be at ease- I still feel like KCOM administration is going to call me a couple of weeks before and say; "oh just kidding, we cant accept you" :( Its all too much, actually, my mind wont be at ease until classes begin with me in them. Ill try to enjoy the rest of this summer that seems to be going by incredibly slow, but it still seems to good to be true. Me? going to be a doctor? incredible

Kopitar,

I'm off Osteopathy too ... maybe were neighbors ;)

Hey, did anybody else get this email about a family member or friend sponsoring our white coat? Does someone have to pay $35 for us to receive our coat, or is this just a ploy for KCOM to save money??

Hey, did anybody else get this email about a family member or friend sponsoring our white coat? Does someone have to pay $35 for us to receive our coat, or is this just a ploy for KCOM to save money??

I skimmed it ... but was confused.

Last year our coats were sponsored by Alumni for what its worth...not sure if something changed.

Last year our coats were sponsored by Alumni for what its worth...not sure if something changed.

I was also confused, I know the alumni can pledge coats to random (or specific) students through that same process. Also, is embroidery done (if we choose to have it) after the ceremony, or is it ordered before?

Please don't study before you get here. In the end it won't help you at all. ENJOY your last summer, trust me.

Also, the coat is embroidered with the school logo, you can get your name done later by a club.

Theta Psi doesn't have the old tests. You can find them at atsudo.org or on the student portal online when you get here.

I emailed KCOM this morning. . .they said that we would receive our white coats regardless if anyone sponsored them or not. Just an FYI for clarity. . . .

FYI, the city of Kirksville handles water and trash. A $180 deposit is required, and the utility must be set up in person at city hall.

Largest I have ever seen for such a small monthly bill. That almost pays for a year of the utility. Better be refundable. I am going to discuss prepaying the year instead of the deposit.

FYI, the city of Kirksville handles water and trash. A $180 deposit is required, and the utility must be set up in person at city hall.

Largest I have ever seen for such a small monthly bill. That almost pays for a year of the utility. Better be refundable. I am going to discuss prepaying the year instead of the deposit.

Prepay might not work, the water will make it change by month. Some renters just make you pay a set rate per month. I've paid anywhere from $22 to $40.

Prepay might not work, the water will make it change by month. Some renters just make you pay a set rate per month. I've paid anywhere from $22 to $40.

I am guessing it will be more or less set, because it is in a complex. I doubt every renter has their own gauge. They might though. I am not holding my breath for prepaying.

Are youguys posting up south of KCOM on osteopathy? or north?

We have a house just north of KCOM on osteopathy.

Are youguys posting up south of KCOM on osteopathy? or north?

We have a house just north of KCOM on osteopathy.

North about .5 mile from campus on cottonwood/osteopathy

Directionality doesnt lend itself to residential identification.

Regardless, inquiring if I was going to know my neighbors via this medium.

I will live north, so maybe.

Dude, now they're just gonna toilet paper our house!!!!

:smuggrin:

Toilet paper is so high school. . . .now, throwing Q-tips and cotton balls all over your yard, and covering your front porch in syrup and molasses, well that is not out of the question! :smuggrin:

Directionality doesnt lend itself to residential identification.

Regardless, inquiring if I was going to know my neighbors via this medium.

I will live north, so maybe.

I'm sure it's fairly close. We'll all hang out!

Toilet paper is so high school. . . .now, throwing Q-tips and cotton balls all over your yard, and covering your front porch in syrup and molasses, well that is not out of the question! :smuggrin:

Hahahah wow, high-tech! The worst we ever did was hose down the TP afterward ... but this was Jr High style :cool:

Dude, now they're just gonna toilet paper our house!!!!

:smuggrin:

Ha.. It'd be impressive to say the least..

Now why would you waste good syrup on my porch? Come on now Superman, we gotta be frugal.