Ask a 4th Year NYCPM student (almost) anything...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

adductovarus05

Hey guys,

Now that 4th years are done with Boards Part 2 + CSPE + (Boards Part 1) + Residency Interviews + Ranking, I wanted to extend any help I could give to any Pod students about any classes, externships, ranking, etc. Happy to give Pre-pods any general advice on NYCPM or pod schools in general if needed too!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
what would you say pod students gpa should be after their 2nd year, aka after we're basically done with school?

Members don't see this ad :)
what would you say pod students gpa should be after their 2nd year, aka after we're basically done with school?

GPA is one of those things that matters subjectively and more importantly to some people and some hospital residency programs. Once you start looking for clerkships in your 3rd year you will realize that certain programs have GPA cutoffs for consideration at their program, whether that be a 2.5, 2.7, or 3.0.

Honestly, anything over a 3.0 and more doors begin to open. It's important that you realize, esp. at NYCPM, that after the 4th semester/2nd year, the GPA does not move (because 3rd year classes either way so little or are P/F).

In residency interviews, GPA did often come up at some points but I was fortunate to have above a 3.0. At NYCPM, I worked very hard for that, don't know at other schools though.

Are the disparities in reputations between residencies dramatic? I know youre still about to start but as in what you know now? For example if a top student gets into a residency program that has a really good reputation (fot exposure or good graduates), are they more likely to land a good hospital, MSG, etc job when they are done, as compared to the average rated residency?

Last edited:
Are the disparities in reputations between residencies dramatic? I know youre still about to start but as in what you know now? For example if a top student gets into a residency program that has a really good reputation (fot exposure or good graduates), are they more likely to land a good hospital, MSG, etc job when they are done, as compared to the average rated residency?

From what I know right now, there is some disparity in the training you will get at a hospital, but the student's choice for a residency is based on where they like, geography, how good the program is, the residents, the attendings, so many other things. It's like getting a new job.

There are the really heavy hitter programs that are known nationally for being the best, and I assume within the podiatry field people know about them all over the world. From my understanding so far, landing a job after residency may be dependent on where you did residency and also the connections your program director/attendings have with nearby podiatrists. AKA connections.

The whole objective is to GET a program after your 4 years. The said word is every residency will give you the tools to succeed and train you adequately, but every program is different in their way of training you. It's a fit thing.

Any advice for a 1st year who just bombed his first anatomy test?

Reactions: 2 users
Any advice for a 1st year who just bombed his first anatomy test?
Sorry to hear that. What did you think the deficiency was?

Did you feel you didn't study enough (ask yourself that honestly)? Or was the question style different than what you were used to?

Identify the deficiency and work on it. With anatomy, it tends to be a boat load of information. After the lecture, review and study up for it THAT night as if you were having a quiz the next day. Stay on top of it and when the next exam comes around it won't seem like as much of a beast as it is.

Good luck!

From what I know right now, there is some disparity in the training you will get at a hospital, but the student's choice for a residency is based on where they like, geography, how good the program is, the residents, the attendings, so many other things. It's like getting a new job.

There are the really heavy hitter programs that are known nationally for being the best, and I assume within the podiatry field people know about them all over the world. From my understanding so far, landing a job after residency may be dependent on where you did residency and also the connections your program director/attendings have with nearby podiatrists. AKA connections.

The whole objective is to GET a program after your 4 years. The said word is every residency will give you the tools to succeed and train you adequately, but every program is different in their way of training you. It's a fit thing.
Thanks for replying.. What are some things you didn't expect before entering the school and field but are now made aware of? Is it basically what you expected it to be?
Did anything surprise you thought 4 years of being a student or take you by surprise?
If you could go back what would you change?
What would you warn/tell incoming students about pod school or podiatry?

Also: is it stressful moving every month for externships or finding a place to live just for a month?

Last edited:
Who are the Giants going to draft at #2?

Thanks for replying.. What are some things you didn't expect before entering the school and field but are now made aware of? Is it basically what you expected it to be?
Did anything surprise you thought 4 years of being a student or take you by surprise?
If you could go back what would you change?
What would you warn/tell incoming students about pod school or podiatry?

Also: is it stressful moving every month for externships or finding a place to live just for a month?
It was basically what I expected it to be, some road bumps but med school is not easy to crack. Took a lot of sacrifice and hard work of course.

I would warn all incoming students to just prepare mentally to be studying and making such sacrifices. It's nothing that will ruin a life or friendships or family, but there is a great deal of perseverance to get thru some programs. School will take priority on a lot of weekends unfortunately to catch up over a week's worth of notes.

It can be stressful for sure moving from place to place for externships. I would say most plan the externships in some geographic area, so as to not have to continually move around (this was my case). But for others, I knew many going from east coast to west coast month to month. Airbnb it up at that point. But keep finances in mind, 4th year is not a cheap year by any means!

It was basically what I expected it to be, some road bumps but med school is not easy to crack. Took a lot of sacrifice and hard work of course.

I would warn all incoming students to just prepare mentally to be studying and making such sacrifices. It's nothing that will ruin a life or friendships or family, but there is a great deal of perseverance to get thru some programs. School will take priority on a lot of weekends unfortunately to catch up over a week's worth of notes.

It can be stressful for sure moving from place to place for externships. I would say most plan the externships in some geographic area, so as to not have to continually move around (this was my case). But for others, I knew many going from east coast to west coast month to month. Airbnb it up at that point. But keep finances in mind, 4th year is not a cheap year by any means!
Thanks for the responses! The whole externship rotations stress me out but I guess I’ll cross the road when it comes. Thanks for answering!

But keep finances in mind, 4th year is not a cheap year by any means!
so, how do students usually pay for the 4th year because of some traveling expenses, food, and living expenses if you couldn't save anything for the first 3 years since you didn't work at all?

Is it covered by loans? but you have to pay for your primary living place anyways while you travel for rotations.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a first year at NYCPM and all I can say is that we all glorify the 3rd and 4th years since they basically made it through this insane courseload! Can't wait to be in your shoes.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm currently a first year at NYCPM and all I can say is that we all glorify the 3rd and 4th years since they basically made it through this insane courseload! Can't wait to be in your shoes.
You'll get there, don't give up!

Reactions: 1 user
when choosing a school what are some important factors to consider that you might not think about/ know to think about when applying

If you don't get a scholarship right off the bat, can you get one in later semesters if you maintain a certain GPA?

Finishing up second semester at NYCPM with below a 3.0, but comparing my first semester to my second semester I from around a 2.1 to a 2.5. Aside from raising my GPA up what else would I need to do to improve my chances of landing a residency in So.Cal? Is it even plausible to go back to So.Cal with an abysmal GPA?

Finishing up second semester at NYCPM with below a 3.0, but comparing my first semester to my second semester I from around a 2.1 to a 2.5. Aside from raising my GPA up what else would I need to do to improve my chances of landing a residency in So.Cal? Is it even plausible to go back to So.Cal with an abysmal GPA?
Know you're gonna catch flak for that GPA but...that's a hell of a turn around.
Really hope you kill clinicals and people take notice to get you in the door.

I know some programs auto screen out GPAs or have very strict GPA/class rank/percentile.
The California ones in general I believe are pretty competitive.

The good news for you is that most socal programs aren't very good, so you won't be competing with top candidates for those residency spots. The bad news is that there are 3 schools in close proximity to socal and all of them have greater grade inflation than nycpm. Because of this, you need to make sure you have at least a 3.0 cgpa if you want to go there for residency. Good luck.

Do the residencies in California know about the grade inflation compared to NYCPM? Do they take it into consideration? Weirdy do you know which programs have a strict cut off? I want to go to anywhere in Los Angeles, Long Beach, or Fountain Valley.

Do the residencies in California know about the grade inflation compared to NYCPM? Do they take it into consideration? Weirdy do you know which programs have a strict cut off? I want to go to anywhere in Los Angeles, Long Beach, or Fountain Valley.
I do not.

The most I've done is looked through CASPR/CRIP catalogs.

I will be starting my first year at NYCPM this August 2018. I am trying to decide if I want to fill out an application for housing at The Bridges or if I want to commute on the LIRR. I was wondering:

Do you know any friends/fellow students who commuted to NYCPM and were able to manage it well?

What is the course schedule like for the 1st and 2nd year?
-->I've heard class first year generally starts around 9am and second year around 8am.
-->But I was wondering generally what time classes are over?​

I will be starting my first year at NYCPM this August 2018. I am trying to decide if I want to fill out an application for housing at The Bridges or if I want to commute on the LIRR. I was wondering:

Do you know any friends/fellow students who commuted to NYCPM and were able to manage it well?

What is the course schedule like for the 1st and 2nd year?
-->I've heard class first year generally starts around 9am and second year around 8am.
-->But I was wondering generally what time classes are over?​

Some people do commute but it is tough, especially with snowstorms.

Classes can end as early as 1(lunch time) and as late as 6 if you have a lab for 1st year.

I live in the bridges and honestly i think the best option would be finding a room in the city to live in. Youre close enough to the school but the bridges its quite a lot of peple youre sharing an apartment with. It was good for meeting people but i plan on moving out.

The good news for you is that most socal programs aren't very good, so you won't be competing with top candidates for those residency spots. The bad news is that there are 3 schools in close proximity to socal and all of them have greater grade inflation than nycpm. Because of this, you need to make sure you have at least a 3.0 cgpa if you want to go there for residency. Good luck.

The generalization that "most socal programs aren't very good" shouldn't be taken seriously. There are some excellent programs in socal (even a powerhouse program or two). The good news is, there are plenty of programs in the area, so if location is a high priority for you, then look at the caspr/crip list of programs and target a few that would fit you well. Visit those programs, keep in contact with them, and then try to extern there...this will be your best shot at landing a residency spot.