Article Based Examination Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Animal Mother

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The time is almost here to make this decision for a lot of us. (FYI, the article pathway will be the automatic default if you don't select a certification maintenance pathway by 12/31/21.)

I haven't seen any threads on this for a couple years now. Who has been using article based pathway? Any good feedback? Are most of the articles free? How many are behind paywalls or require APA membership to access? How much time are you guys spending on this? Do reading these articles result in any usable CME?

Looking for some feedback before I make the plunge. I don't mind doing the exam every 10-years, but if the article method is easier and cheaper, I'm not opposed to reading more articles.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The time is almost here to make this decision for a lot of us. (FYI, the article pathway will be the automatic default if you don't select a certification maintenance pathway by 12/31/21.)

I haven't seen any threads on this for a couple years now. Who has been using article based pathway? Any good feedback? Are most of the articles free? How many are behind paywalls or require APA membership to access? How much time are you guys spending on this? Do reading these articles result in any usable CME?

Looking for some feedback before I make the plunge. I don't mind doing the exam every 10-years, but if the article method is easier and cheaper, I'm not opposed to reading more articles.
The article pathway is good. Can do it on your own time

Members don't see this ad :)
You need 30 articles to complete it assuming you pass them all. Some are free. None of them are obtained from the ABPN directly. You need to generally get them from some sort of institutional source. Great reason to keep that Volunteer Clinical Faculty role intact.

You need 30 articles to complete it assuming you pass them all. Some are free. None of them are obtained from the ABPN directly. You need to generally get them from some sort of institutional source. Great reason to keep that Volunteer Clinical Faculty role intact.
Nah just get the articles from another person. Someone has already offered them for him.
It's nice as you can pick the topics to read

I'm happy to share the articles. Private message me your email addresses and I'll send them to you. I'll likely also set up a Google drive folder to share later tonight and post it here if that is easier for you.
I tried but it said your account is not accepting PM

I'm debating between the two pathways...
I think I had read an early criticism of the ABCC pathway that some of the questions related to the articles were pedantic. Is this an accurate criticism?

What happens after you read these articles? Does the ABPN send you a question booklet?

Aren't we getting new articles and a brand new start to everything for everyone in January? December may not be the time to start this...

I'm a new diplomate of the ABPN. I think the article based pathway will be better overall, though am not thrilled to have to start it so soon after taking the exam. Does anyone know if it's possible to opt into the exam pathway for a few years and then switch to the article pathway? The wording on the FAQs on the board's website is confusing to me:

"Q: If I just became Board certified, can I wait until my 10-year recertification exam due date to opt in the Article Based Pathway?

A: No. Diplomates will not have the option to join the ABCC Pathway after 6 years (two CC blocks) of no activity or insufficient activity in the ABCC Pathway. At that point, a diplomate will revert to the Exam Pathway provided they are meeting all other CC requirements (SA, CME, PIP, licensure, and fees). Diplomates must pass article exams for a certification within 6 years (two 3-year blocks) to remain in the article pathway. If a diplomate passes a subspecialty exam(s), those subspecialty article assessment calculations/assignments begin the next full 3-year block."

Q: Will diplomates be able to switch between assessment pathway options? Diplomates are permitted to switch between the 10-year exam and ABCC pathways once within a 6-year ABCC evaluation period (two 3-year blocks).

A: Diplomates must enroll all certificates in one assessment pathway: ABCC pathway or Exam pathway. Diplomates can switch to the traditional recertification exam; however, after switching to the Exam Pathway, they cannot elect to the ABCC Pathway within three years of the certification’s tenth year (years 7-9). They will be required to pass the traditional exam their tenth year from last passing the exam."

So does this mean I can opt into the exam pathway but then switch over to the article pathway before 6 years is up?

Am I an idiot for just taking the exam in 10 years? lol.

The recertification one is shorter and easier or am i wrong?

Reactions: 1 users
Do we get mailed an original certificate or do we have to order one?