Defer board examination?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b52bomber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just graduated from residency and scheduled to take the board exams for September 14, 2021. I'm generally a good testtaker (passed all boards with good scores) but usually need thorough preparation via Anki and questionbanks. I don't feel prepared for the board exam, between moving a large distance post residency, getting a new place and starting a new job as an attending in a new institution (and trying to get used to it) I really haven't had time to study. I'm about halfway through the K&S book on a single pass. I would really like to defer my examination until 2022 to have a longer time to study for this when I'm more settled in. Do you have any thoughts about downsides to doing this? (aside from not getting the pay bump in being board certified). I've thought about hail marying it but that seems like a poor use of money and time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is no real downside as long as you don't wait too long and it isn't required for compensation. Is there still a time limit from the ABPN how far out from residency you can be to register to take the exam?

Personally, I've found it better not to procrastinate, whatever my excuse.

Reactions: 1 users
If you really believe you are at risk of failing I would defer it. It's not a huge deal to have to retake it, but can be brought up (for example in depositions) as a source of professional embarrassment. With that said, if you can get it done this cycle it will be a big weight off your shoulders. It also gives you better options if you want to switch jobs this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I just graduated from residency and scheduled to take the board exams for September 14, 2021. I'm generally a good testtaker (passed all boards with good scores) but usually need thorough preparation via Anki and questionbanks. I don't feel prepared for the board exam, between moving a large distance post residency, getting a new place and starting a new job as an attending in a new institution (and trying to get used to it) I really haven't had time to study. I'm about halfway through the K&S book on a single pass. I would really like to defer my examination until 2022 to have a longer time to study for this when I'm more settled in. Do you have any thoughts about downsides to doing this? (aside from not getting the pay bump in being board certified). I've thought about hail marying it but that seems like a poor use of money and time.

I mean from what you're saying you're a pretty good testtaker baseline. I think at this point you're gonna lose most of that money or at least the 700 registration fee...which is a decent chunk of change just cause you're afraid you might fail. Failing has very little downside besides being annoying for you but I know people who failed board exams and then just passed them the next year. I feel like there's very little downside and a lot of upside (if you pass it you're gravy).

And just FYI I'm in the same boat, I'm a little less than halfway through K+S, I'll probably go over it a couple times but that's pretty much it. I did average on PRITES without studying at all...so you're not the only one out there lol.

ABPN will let me transfer the registration to 2022 due to COVID (thanks COVID).
I mean from what you're saying you're a pretty good testtaker baseline. I think at this point you're gonna lose most of that money or at least the 700 registration fee...which is a decent chunk of change just cause you're afraid you might fail. Failing has very little downside besides being annoying for you but I know people who failed board exams and then just passed them the next year. I feel like there's very little downside and a lot of upside (if you pass it you're gravy).

And just FYI I'm in the same boat, I'm a little less than halfway through K+S, I'll probably go over it a couple times but that's pretty much it. I did average on PRITES without studying at all...so you're not the only one out there lol.

Ahhh interesting is there a deadline for that do you know? (In case I realize the week before I'm screwed too haha)
No, I sent them a question in and they said they would transfer it for me if I made the request.

Update, because an OP who does not return is very disappointing.

I did defer the examination. I ended up taking it in the 2022 year (you can see my post in the board certification thread for more information) and I did pass.

I now believe I would have had a good chance of passing had I not deferred it, but it worked out in the end.

Reactions: 3 users
Update, because an OP who does not return is very disappointing.

I did defer the examination. I ended up taking it in the 2022 year (you can see my post in the board certification thread for more information) and I did pass.

I now believe I would have had a good chance of passing had I not deferred it, but it worked out in the end.
Thanks for the update. Do you have thoughts on if any the questions were on material that might have been fresher in your mind without the year gap? I think for most folks the information is freshest right out of training but am curious the thoughts of someone who was just in this situation were I to advise future residents/fellows.

Thanks for the update. Do you have thoughts on if any the questions were on material that might have been fresher in your mind without the year gap? I think for most folks the information is freshest right out of training but am curious the thoughts of someone who was just in this situation were I to advise future residents/fellows.

My PD repeatedly mentioned that odds of passing declines every year at a statistically relevant rate.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it would depend on how your residency was structured and how much you studied during your residency. We didn't really focus much on ITEs (basically, don't be below two standard deviations and improve every year). Our didactics were good, but I don't really retain information I don't use much and I focused a lot on moonlighting/working. So coming out of residency I was very 'job-ready' and fit easily into an attending position, but very little of what was covered/tested was relevant to working inpatient psychiatry.

So I don't think the year gap had much to do with it, I had to basically relearn/review all the material anyway.

If your training was such that you focused greatly on board-relevant(PRITE-relevant) material then certainly, it might be fresher in your mind, but nothing beats the luxury of having time to study when not worrying about onboarding/moving/new job.

I am a strong test taker regardless, so the 'sit down and study all the material' grind is nothing new to me, I do best that way than trying to remember whatever was taught in the past year or two.

My PD repeatedly mentioned that odds of passing declines every year at a statistically relevant rate.

There's going to be a strong selection effect here, maybe bigger than being an effect of time. Way more likely to postpone the test if you have reason to believe you might fail it and this will be even more the case the farther out you go.

Reactions: 1 users