army's 5 program minimum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm not sure how it works for Navy and Air Force, but all us Army HPSP and ROTC officers are required to apply for at least 5 army residency programs. The problems arise in certain specialities where there aren't 5 programs available (eg radiology, derm,ophtho, etc...). In this situation, they say we're "encouraged" to apply for a general transitional year, or internal medicine as our last choices.

My question is, what does "encouraged" actually mean here? If we applied for the 2 or 3 derm transitional year programs, could we then put down a different back-up residency, such as transitional anesthesia or transitional ophtho as our last choices instead? Could we also apply for multiple specialty types via deferrment if we don't match with FYGME?

This is confusing b/c not everyone matches into the most competitive specialty types (esp derm), but those people who don't match usually have a backup plan to match into other different specialty types (eg, many people applying to derm also apply to anesthesia). However, the Army FYGME Preference Priority List (and also the Deferment Information Form) seem to indicate they want you to apply for only one type of specialty. My concern is that if I don't get that specialty, I might end up stuck w/ an internal medicine residency, even though that isn't my second choice (or 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc..).

If anybody could shed some light in this area it would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
Andrew

Members don't see this ad.

The military makes every effort it possibly can to match you into the specialty of your choice. Therefore, if you desire to become a dermatologist and you do not match via your top 5 choices, you will either be allowed a deferrment to do a civilian program or be placed into a GMO tour of duty until a slot opens up. Most likely you will be required to do a GMO tour.

thanks for the info, knowing that I can likely do a GMO tour until a spot opens up, instead of just going into internal medicine definitely takes some of my anxiety away!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Sledge,
I don't know where you are in your medical training at this point but it sounds like you are a med student trying to decide what you want to do for your residency and I am guessing you are HPSP and have a military commitment and will do your training in a military program. I gather you are considering Dermatology? I am a former HPSP participant and I also was interested in Derm. Getting a Derm residency in the military is not a given as this thread seems to imply. I don't know about now but when I applied it was one of the most competitve residencies in the Army. There are only so many slots and there are a lot more applicants than slots so not everyone is going to get what they want even if they do their time as a GMO. I did four years as a GMO and this was not taken into account. Like anywhere else it matters who you know (and of course you need a good academic record). My suggestion to you is do a rotation at one of the Derm programs and get to know them and let them get to know you. Find out what they desire you to do to make you a competitive applicant. You will have to do an internship first before starting Derm so I would try to get a Transitional Internship at one of the hospitals that also has a Derm program and early in your internship do an elective in the Derm department and again let them get to know you and let them know your desire to do Derm. The most important thing is for the program to know you and like you and then you will have a shot at getting in. Even if you do have to do some time as a GMO after this, at least you are now a known entity and you can continue to keep in touch with the program and maybe go back for a week on leave sometime. I did not decide on Derm until after I completed my internship (Civilian) and was a GMO overseas. It was very difficult to gain exposure to the programs from another country and I also lost out because I did not do a Military internship. My last year applying I also ranked a back-up residency. I wasn't sure it was the best thing to do but I really wanted to stay in the Military( I do believe their residency programs are excellent!) and I was considering the option of not getting a Derm slot. I would not recommend you do this. I think it hurt me in the end. I recommend if you want Derm then show absolute commitment of your intentions to Derm and forget the back-up. Turns out I didn't get Derm. I got my back-up but I didn't get first choice of location on my back-up because there were other people who had this residency as first choice and those are the people the program heads wanted. My back-up was pathology which was the least competitive residency in the Army. I sort of felt like doing four years as a GMO (with excellent evaluations those years ) should count for something in at least getting in at a location I wanted. However, those slots were given to people right out of internship who never did any time as a GMO. They were known entities to the program head. I realize this is long winded but I tell you all this just so you know doing time as a GMO is no guarantee for getting in where you want. The military is politics just like everywhere else so get to know people and market yourself the best you can and good luck! I hope you get what you want. I did enjoy my time in the Army by the way. I just wished things had worked out differently. I was accepted at WRAMC which would have been an excellent opportunity and sometimes I wish I had done it but my spouse did not want to live in the D.C. area and last time I visited WRAMC I was mugged so I can't say I was too excited about going back either.

Originally posted by JPFL75
The military makes every effort it possibly can to match you into the specialty of your choice. Therefore, if you desire to become a dermatologist and you do not match via your top 5 choices, you will either be allowed a deferrment to do a civilian program or be placed into a GMO tour of duty until a slot opens up. Most likely you will be required to do a GMO tour.

You cannot do a GMO tour until you have done an internship. If you do not match for PGY-1 in the Army, you are automatically deferred. However, you can only do a civilian residency in the program area you listed as you first choice on you army match list.

Ed

Originally posted by edmadison
You cannot do a GMO tour until you have done an internship. If you do not match for PGY-1 in the Army, you are automatically deferred. However, you can only do a civilian residency in the program area you listed as you first choice on you army match list.

Ed

So - If I don't match into Surgery in the Army I will automatically be deferred to the civilian match?

If you aren't accepted at any of the 5 general surgery residency programs in the army, you will be deferred to the civilian match, assuming you're from HPSP or ROTC. Although it's different if you're through USUHS.

How does residency work for the military? Do you just pick whatever and have a good chance of getting it, or must you meet minimum requirements to be able to apply?

Do the AF and Navy have a similar program for matching to residency? Do they pseudo-guarantee your top choice?

it's somewhat analagous to the normal match. You apply for whatever field you want and depending on many factors you may or may not get it. It's apparently a little skethchier then the civilian match though, b/c you can't have a back-up specialty if you're applying for competitive field, and depending on the field you apply to, you'll probably have to apply to other programs that aren't what you want to do.