Are we eligible for financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RNAgirl

Does anyone know if MSTP fellows are eligible for financial aid?

I asked the MSTP coordinator at Michigan today, and she said fellows would not be eligible for aid from the school or the federal government. She said I would have to report the tuition funding as income in addition to the stipend, hence my income level would be too high to qualify for any loans. But, I know for a fact that many of the MSTP students at Northwestern were taking out loans.

Any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm. Strange... I have been told by a couple of schools that they encourage their students to apply for financial aid! To be honest, I can't remember exactly what schools those were... :)

But I do remember that coming distinctly from a school. You should probably still qualify for unsubsidized loans, right?

Pour toi, mon amie RNAgirl, j'ai trouve un bon link. C'est de la MSTP a Yale - ils disent que les etudiants de Yale sont eligible pour l'aide financial. :D

<a href="http://www.med.yale.edu/mdphd/life/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.med.yale.edu/mdphd/life/index.html</a>

Regardez la premiere paragraph.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oui brando, je l'ai vu quand j'ai fait l'application pour Yale. Peut-etre je telephonerais directement le bureau a l'aide financielle a Michigan demain. Merci! :)

thanks for the french refresher guys... dang i cant remember how to conjugate the future tenses anymore! Oh well, i think its time to switch to spanish.

As for the original question, I think its highly dependent on the school. For example, at Yale 16k per year in New Havens cost of living is rather subpar compared to other schools. So I imagine that while at Yale financial aid might be possible, that at other schools it would not be.

At WashU, I was offered a stipend of 22.5k per year and I know there was no way I could have gotten any other financial aid.