Are there enough RESIDENCY slots this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what if I am a prepod, I am sure I don't understand many things, but airbud is right, grades help. the OP did not right out say grades don't matter you're right pipetman, but he said not to worry about them. All I was saying is, that is not entirely true, you need to worry about them to some extent. Just because I am a lowly prepod does not mean I can't get online and look at the residency requirements, I did, and I saw that many, over half, of the residencies I would want to apply to DO have grade requirements and if you don't meet those you don't even need to worry about the interview and impressing them, it's over for you before it even begins. Singingfootdoc hit the head on the nail, and she has been through the process. I'm not saying you have to have all A's all I'm saying is you do need to worry about grades to some extent, keep over a 3.0 and stay competitive. I also did not say the other stuff does not matter, it all matters, you need to have the whole package

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So what if I am a prepod, I am sure I don't understand many things, but airbud is right, grades help. the OP did not right out say grades don't matter you're right pipetman, but he said not to worry about them. All I was saying is, that is not entirely true, you need to worry about them to some extent. Just because I am a lowly prepod does not mean I can't get online and look at the residency requirements, I did, and I saw that many, over half, of the residencies I would want to apply to DO have grade requirements and if you don't meet those you don't even need to worry about the interview and impressing them, it's over for you before it even begins. Singingfootdoc hit the head on the nail, and he has been through the process. I'm not saying you have to have all A's all I'm saying is you do need to worry about grades to some extent, keep over a 3.0 and stay competitive. I also did not say the other stuff does not matter, it all matters, you need to have the whole package

Grades really don't matter much and in many programs will only be enough for them to give you a look. Some residency directors that I spoke to don't even look at GPA. However the work ethic and hopefully the knowledge that your good grades have granted you will very much help you in your clinical work and therefore increase your chances of landing a residency. If you work hard for 2 years and get decent pre-clinical grades, most of the time that is going to carry over into your 3rd and 4th year as well as beyond, and you are going to continue to work hard and be a desirable potential resident.

So technically it is possible to have horrible grades, and still match a great residency if you know your clinical stuff and work hard. It probably doesn't happen that often because the habits that students acquire in their first 2 years tend to carry over. It's the old "once a gunner, always a gunner" theory: very few gunners are going to let up or stop working hard after they have kicked ass for so long.

Grades really don't matter much and in many programs will only be enough for them to give you a look. Some residency directors that I spoke to don't even look at GPA. However the work ethic and hopefully the knowledge that your good grades have granted you will very much help you in your clinical work and therefore increase your chances of landing a residency. If you work hard for 2 years and get decent pre-clinical grades, most of the time that is going to carry over into your 3rd and 4th year as well as beyond, and you are going to continue to work hard and be a desirable potential resident.

So technically it is possible to have horrible grades, and still match a great residency if you know your clinical stuff and work hard. It probably doesn't happen that often because the habits that students acquire in their first 2 years tend to carry over. It's the old "once a gunner, always a gunner" theory: very few gunners are going to let up or stop working hard after they have kicked ass for so long.

I am not trying to argue this point, I believe everyone when they say in the interview process your grades do not matter, and that is fine. I have a real question for you though, are there not with many residency programs a minimum requirement you need to have, say a 3.0, in order to even apply to that residency program? So theoretically if you really wanted to go to that program you have to at the very least stay above that gpa requirement to even apply and get to the interview process? That is all I am saying, Once you apply to a program if you reach their minimum requirement then fine, grades at that point do not matter... If I am wrong on this matter please correct me.

Members don't see this ad :)
first off I'm a she

second off grades DO matter ok? if all of your requirements are the same as the next person (ie personality, fitting in, residents liking you, director liking you) then yes...they look at the GPA for the deciding factor. But let's just put it this way...if your personality and getting along with residents supersedes the next...then they shouldn't even look beyond that point.

honestly though...stop worrying about grades and start focusing on treating your patients

I am not trying to argue this point, I believe everyone when they say in the interview process your grades do not matter, and that is fine. I have a real question for you though, are there not with many residency programs a minimum requirement you need to have, say a 3.0, in order to even apply to that residency program? So theoretically if you really wanted to go to that program you have to at the very least stay above that gpa requirement to even apply and get to the interview process? That is all I am saying, Once you apply to a program if you reach their minimum requirement then fine, grades at that point do not matter... If I am wrong on this matter please correct me.

You are indeed correct that some programs do have a minimum GPA requirement in order to interview and therefore have an opportunity to be a resident at the program. Although at some programs, if you do an externship then this requirement is waived. Others are more strict and absolutely set the minimum at 3.0 or whatever they choose. Therefore, it would benefit you to maximize your grades in order to keep as many doors open as possible.

I guess the point I was making wasn't that grades are a joke and that you shouldn't study and try to get by with minimal effort. It's more that a great GPA doesn't guarantee you a thing (DMU's #1 student gradewise a few years back scrambled to get a program because he was an arrogant douche). Also, if you have a sub-3.0 average, it doesn't mean that you are doomed to the bottom feeder programs or at a high risk of not getting one at all. It just means that you (and anyone looking to get a program regardless of grades) need to kick ass in the clinic and learn as much as you can as an upper-classman. Gunners usually do this by nature, and slackers typically have a tougher time because they haven't developed the work ethic during their pre-clinical studies.

singingfootdoc said:
honestly though...stop worrying about grades and start focusing on treating your patients

Since that post was directed at sorham, and sorham is a prepod, and will therefore be in the CLASSROOM for a few years before he does much in the way of treating patients, that was a pretty poor piece of advice. It's too bad a lot of people believe everything they read on these forums...

Since that post was directed at sorham, and sorham is a prepod, and will therefore be in the CLASSROOM for a few years before he does much in the way of treating patients, that was a pretty poor piece of advice. It's too bad a lot of people believe everything they read on these forums...

agreed.

...You want to know what it takes to get a residency?

Do good on your interview. For the most part, in my class, a lot did not match. I had an interview based on clinical stuff. I then had a social interview. Only 2 I applied for. I already knew that the place I did the clinical, ..well the resident did not like me much, so I figured that was a long shot. The other one I knew I had a chance at...and I got it.

You are all worried about grades, where you rank...don't be.

It is how you present yourself. I was fortuante...I am personable, business background & knew how to read the person interviewing me. I was accepted at all 3 schools I applied. Why?...I knew how to talk & present myself. I learned that out in the workplace. I went to pod school late. So, I worked a lot before & knew how to deal with people. To me that was an advantage that others do not have. The ones that placed where a lot of students who had experience outside of school...they had worked. Non traditional students.

I new a kid who was in every club, president of this club, vp of that club, etc, etc, etc. Went & visted so many programs...spent a lot of money visting programs.... He was very popular in school. He knew everyone & everything. NO..he did not match & did not get a program. What I heard was someplace made a program for him. How true the making of the program was I have no idea.

Today he does have a practice.

REMEMBER...know how to interview, besides all the clicical stuff. Can you present yourself well. Just like a job! Dress nice, look sharp & do not let them get the upper hand. YOU handle it!

Footpodguy, DPM
This is good advice. There is much more than the paper application, but you can never perform well at an interview or clerkship rotation which you don't get invited for due to low gpa, failed boards, etc.

Programs are looking for all around good, motivated students and likable people. Residents are basically employees when it comes down to it. Gpa, rank, boards, etc standards of the residency programs will still be the "bar" you have to meet to get consideration, and they'll also likely remain the "tiebreak" for similarly good social, work ethic, personality, etc candidates.

Work as hard as you can in school. Study for comprehension and retention of the materials with the goal of becoming a good clinician in the future... as well as just to spit out facts on tests and make good grades. Work hard on rotations... show up early, offer to stay late, and SHOW INTEREST. It goes without saying that the grades, smarts, and work ethic almost invariably go hand in hand, though.

To all Pre-Pod students and current students,

Don't be nieve and overly-optimistic about what is happening regarding the residency shortage. I'm going to be a 4th year at Scholl this year and have discussed the shortage at length with several administrators and residency directors. There WILL be a huge shortage for the class of 2011 and it will exponentially get worse in the next couple of years. A credible source has informed me that 1 out of 5 people will NOT match with a program 2011. After that it could be 1 out of 4 not matching for 2012 class.
These are the facts, not my opinion. Around 60 students have not matched in the class of 2010. Those students will enter the 2011 match pool. The class of 2011 already has around 60-70 too many students/residency. Add the 60 from 2010, you have around 120-130 students NOT matching at all. There is simply not enough residency spots. This is a critical breaking point for podiatry schools.

Last edited:
WOW...Scary stuff.

I heard in a class meeting earlier this year that for the class of 2012 you have to had passed boards part 1 and 2 to be accepted into a residency position, but that wasn't the case for the class of 2010 (not sure about 2011). So many of the people who did not match still have not passed board exams. Also one of the residency directors which I spoke to stated that a new applicant definitely has the edge over a repeat applicant from the cycle before.

That being said this is a huge and embarrassing problem for our entire profession and everyone has to do their part. Call the APMA, call CPME, talk to your class delegates, talk to residency directors...demand answers. I know we students have a lot on our plate right now, and this isn't necessarily our responsibility but if we all want to have a fair chance at a residency we have to do our part. This really sucks.

To all Pre-Pod students and current students,

Don't be nieve and overly-optimistic about what is happening regarding the residency shortage. I'm going to be a 4th year at Scholl this year and have discussed the shortage at length with several administrators and residency directors. There WILL be a huge shortage for the class of 2011 and it will exponentially get worse in the next couple of years. A credible source has informed me that 1 out of 5 people will NOT match with a program 2011. After that it could be 1 out of 4 not matching for 2012 class.
These are the facts, not my opinion. Around 60 students have not matched in the class of 2010. Those students will enter the 2011 match pool. The class of 2011 already has around 60-70 too many students/residency. Add the 60 from 2010, you have around 120-130 students NOT matching at all. There is simply not enough residency spots. This is a critical breaking point for podiatry schools.

Just curious but did any Scholl students NOT match this year or the year before?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe 1-2 didn't match last year, primarily due to not passing boards. This year it is 7 or 8, most all of them have passed boards, and are all around decent students. It's going to get ugly next year. This happened in 1996, there were about 200 students that didn't get residencies, you would think APMA and CPME would have learned from that.

People should really consider all options before applying to podiatry school for a while, and pod students should start thinking of a back up plan just in case. That's the way it is right now.

Originally Posted by Pod224
"To all Pre-Pod students and current students,

These are the facts, not my opinion. Around 60 students have not matched in the class of 2010. Those students will enter the 2011 match pool. The class of 2011 already has around 60-70 too many students/residency. Add the 60 from 2010, you have around 120-130 students NOT matching at all. There is simply not enough residency spots. This is a critical breaking point for podiatry schools."

STUDENTS, PLEASE DISREGARD THIS MESSAGE. AS A REPRESENTATIVE FOR THE APMSA AND COTH, THESE STATISTICS ARE NOT ONLY FALSE INFORMATION BUT IMPOSSIBLE TO PREDICT AT THIS POINT. THE STATISTICS THAT WERE FOR THE 2010 CLASS WERE A DEFICIT OF 89 SPOTS IN 2009, THAT BEING SAID, AS OF NOW THERE IS A DEFICIT OF 20. BY JULY 1, THERE WILL BE A DEFICIT OF 10. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT PREDICTIONS AT THIS POINT ARE POINTLESS. THEY CHANGE DAILY IN THE APMA AND COTH. IF YOU NEED FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT WHICH PROGRAMS WILL BE OPENING BY JULY 1, PLEASE VISIT THE COTH AND AACPM WEBSITES.

POD224, I HIGHLY SUGGEST SPEAKING TO YOUR CLASS DELEGATE OR 4TH YEAR DELEGATE ABOUT THESE SO-CALLED NUMBERS. THIS IS FALSE INFORMATION AND UNFORTUNATE THAT YOU ARE DELIVERING THIS PUBLICALLY.

Fantastic, is that what they are telling you? As a former delegate myself, you are full of crap. Don't believe me, I don't give a damn, just wait and see what happens when 120-130 student don't get residencies. You sound like a typical administrator, always downplaying what is in reality a huge and mounting problem. I'm not here to lie about numbers or cause panic, the reality is there is a shortage, 1 out of 5 people most likely will not be able to get a residency next year. Then you can blame our beloved delegates and administrators for not living in reality and telling the students how things are. I repeat, don't take my word for it, you will all see for yourselves when reality strikes in about a year.

Fantastic, is that what they are telling you? As a former delegate myself, you are full of crap. Don't believe me, I don't give a damn, just wait and see what happens when 120-130 student don't get residencies. You sound like a typical administrator, always downplaying what is in reality a huge and mounting problem. I'm not here to lie about numbers or cause panic, the reality is there is a shortage, 1 out of 5 people most likely will not be able to get a residency next year. Then you can blame our beloved delegates and administrators for not living in reality and telling the students how things are. I repeat, don't take my word for it, you will all see for yourselves when reality strikes in about a year.

i think 10 students or so scrambled this year at TUSPM, 8 i know did match. i don't know what happened to the other two. take that info for what its worth. if thats the case for temple, im pretty sure scholl's students got spots as well. their education and reputations, despite SDN school bickering, are comparable.

that being said, call the COTH & CASPR to get actual numbers and stats, rumors abound on SDN!

also "A credible source has informed me that 1 out of 5 people will NOT match with a program 2011"

if your source was credible (which i doubt), you would mention who it was, or what they're position was - why the need to be so hush hush about it- esp if they themselves have acknowledged the problem... why not be the whisteblower?!

Like I said, don't be nieve and believe everything your delegates and administrators are telling you. Let me reiterate:

These are the facts, not my opinion. Around 60 students have not matched in the class of 2010. Those students will enter the 2011 match pool. The class of 2011 already has around 60-70 too many students/residency. Add the 60 from 2010, you have around 120-130 students NOT matching at all. There is simply not enough residency spots. This is a critical breaking point for podiatry schools."

My credible source is a residency director here in Chicago. Also, yes rumors do abound here, but like I said, these are facts and you can check them if you are so inclined. Temple, as for as I know, had one of the highest placement percentages this year, that is true. Scholl hasn't placed 8, along with other schools, there is about 50-60 total. Again, don't believe me, just wait and see.

Schools are not going to tell the entire truth about the problem, It scares potential students, it is just downplayed. Schools are in it for the money, fill as many seats as possible.

Pod224
You said you were delegate for the APMSA, I thought those were four year positions. Also you said "these are facts and you can check them if you are so inclined". Where and how?

Singingfootdoc
Is the information your giving made public somewhere? I went to the AACPM and COTH website and can't find it. How are we supposed to know who and what to believe?

Look, it really doesn't do much good to argue about this. All you have to do is ask a competent residency director or administrator and they will tell you the facts and what the numbers are, you can even ask the residency office at your school. Those are credible numbers, just think about it, about 6-10 haven't matched from most schools (except Temple). Do the math, how difficult can it be.

There are around 560 students, 500 residency spots. 560-500=60
60+60 (2010 students not matched), and what does the give us, about 120. That was easy wasn't it. Again, go to your residency office, if they give you all of the facts, your numbers will be the same.

JACKED UP YOU ARE CORRECT....
POD224..YOU ARE NOT OR HAVE NEVER BEEN THE APMSA DELEGATE AT SCHOLL.
1ST YR DELEGATE: JESSICA MINDER
2ND YR DELEGATE: ADAM SEIGAL
3RD YR DELEGATE: LENA KEESTER AND LUCY MALVITZ
4TH YR DELEGATE: LISA LEVICK

*ALL WHICH HAVE STUDENTDOCTORNETWORK NAMES*

AS FAR AS WHERE TO FIND THIS INFORMATION:
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/directory.asp
ANYTIME A NEW PROGRAM OPENS WITH A SPOT IT SHOWS UP IN GREEN, TWO POSITIONS ACTUALLY JUST OPENED A FEW DAYS AGO...

HERE IS THE CPME APPROVED RESIDENCIES THAT JUST NEED TO WORK OUT LOGISTICS WITHIN THEIR HOSPITALS..THEY ARE APPROVED BY CPME...
http://www.apma.org/Members/Education/CPMEAccreditation/Residencies/CPME300updated010710.aspx

wow...nice thread I started :)...lol

A few things. Yes I graduated, yes I have a DPM degree, yes I matched. I did not apply to a ton of programs, I applied to "2"..that is right..t w o !

No I never did anything else in Podiatry. I get info from friends , schools & organizations.

1. A lot of people with Higher GPA's then mine did NOT match from my class. No, I was not over 3.0, just average. My skills in communicating & personality helped. I was very good in clinic. I had good bed side manner.

2. Yes, there is a shortage of programs, it will continue that way. There will be students who do not match.

To summarize for you:
1. Too many students in the schools, why the schools keep accpting I have no clue. All about money. But you all keep applying & going knowing some of this ahead of time. You prepods, when are you going to understand this. Do not waste time & money.
2. Yes, there is a residency shortage....that is a FACT!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!

...2. Yes, there is a shortage of programs, it will continue that way. There will be students who do not match.

To summarize for you:
1. Too many students in the schools, why the schools keep accpting I have no clue. All about money. But you all keep applying & going knowing some of this ahead of time. You prepods, when are you going to understand this. Do not waste time & money.
2. Yes, there is a residency shortage....that is a FACT!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!
I fully agree that the schools' greed by accepting too many students and some schools consistently graduating a reasonable number of poor students is at the heart of the possible residency shortage in the near future. It must be addressed.

However, it's very poor advice to discourage qualified, hardworking, and bright applicants from applying to and undertaking pod education for that reason. It's a great profession for those who apply themselves and work hard. As far as physician specialties, the hours are extremely flexible and reasonable, the income is quite good, and there is definitely a strong and ever-growing need for the services which a pod can provide within any community, hospital, etc. I think that, as an attending DPM, you have probably come to realize this yourself?

unfortunately Feli, pre-pods already know this.

i've been trying to set up a presentation at my old undergrad to attract some pre-meds into podiatry in general, but before i delve into it a took a small poll of pre-meds at my old undergrad about how much they know about the profession. the one thing they all said was "but i heard there was a shortage so we will graduate and not get training?" this same sentiment was echoed at my interview invites, and some who were also applying for other programs (DO, etc) did so. my point is, we can't even begin discussing bringing more people into the profession without some mention about the possibility of not matching or scrambling successfully--a problem that does not happen to "average" applicants at MD/DO. sure, some are unlucky, but there are other specialties that allo etc can get into--i.e general practice. we don't have that option. and school recruiters who wave their hands and say "the APMA is working on it"--that was two years ago and nothing has changed, really. now that you are resident you are looking at the other side-and you graduated at a time when the fear was there but not as bad as it is now, especially for the class of 2013, or 2014. And with this new healthcare bill in place--it seems the APMA is concentrated mostly on the concerns of practicing DPMs and residents, not current students.

survival of the fittest. Its like playing a 200k, 4 year hand of poker. I will give you guys a secret, I have an ace up my sleeve. Its my brain.

How about I propose a theory that is sure to throw some of you up in arms. I don't think I have heard anybody in these forums say this:

Suppose residencies are NOT happy with the quality of a certain percentage of the candidates. There is no denying at some point there is a dropoff in the quality of graduates. Since they can't control admissions, they weed people out post graduate. Sure, there are a lot of people out 200k and 4 years of their lives, but that is not the residency's problem. Consider them protectors of the profession. They care more about the general public's perception of the profession, and do their part to ensure that only smart, competent DPM's will be joining the profession that they are devoting their lives to. Remember, people often judge by the worst examples of a group, not the best. Look at the Tea parties. The media points out the few people that look like inbreds with racist signs misspelled, and say this is "Joe the Tea Party activist," they are all a bunch of racist, xenophobic *****s.

Thoughts???

How about I propose a theory that is sure to throw some of you up in arms. I don't think I have heard anybody in these forums say this:

Suppose residencies are NOT happy with the quality of a certain percentage of the candidates. There is no denying at some point there is a dropoff in the quality of graduates. Since they can't control admissions, they weed people out post graduate. Sure, there are a lot of people out 200k and 4 years of their lives, but that is not the residency's problem. Consider them protectors of the profession. They care more about the general public's perception of the profession, and do their part to ensure that only smart, competent DPM's will be joining the profession that they are devoting their lives to. Remember, people often judge by the worst examples of a group, not the best. Look at the Tea parties. The media points out the few people that look like inbreds with racist signs misspelled, and say this is "Joe the Tea Party activist," they are all a bunch of racist, xenophobic *****s.

Thoughts???

I highly doubt residency programs are going out of their way to try and clean up the mess that current schools are doing by admitting unqualified students and too many students. Nor are they the gatekeepers trying to clean up the profession...etc etc etc.

I think it comes down to the mighty dollar. There just isn't enough cash being put into starting up programs. You need $$$ and time when creating new programs. Im pretty sure developing a program that meets certain standards takes a good amount of effort to put together and this is something that us pre-pods and podiatric medical underclassmen don't have a firm understanding of.

I am not going to name names but I recently just e-mailed a residency director who works through the future podiatry school I will be attending and basically this person gave me a pretty straightforward response.

The reason there is a shortage is because there isn't enough money to start new programs. With the current economic situation it makes it even harder to start programs now. It's also hard to get a concrete figure on how many spots we will be short because the amount of programs available is ever-changing. New and old programs open and close every year.

Some other reasons why students don't match that were mentioned:
  • Not passing boards I and II the FIRST TIME (Extremely important in this residency director's eyes)
  • Very Low GPA
  • Bad attitude
  • Bad interview skills
  • Not being proactive and making the best of your academic and externship experiences

Last edited:
survival of the fittest. Its like playing a 200k, 4 year hand of poker. I will give you guys a secret, I have an ace up my sleeve. Its my brain.

Didn't we all get into pod school? it scares the crap out of me that people like these will become doctors and probably make a top residency assuming everything they post on SDN is true. I just cringe at the idea of how stupid you might think your patients are because they don't know as much medicine as you do and how you are going to treat them. I am cringing again. I have another ace up my sleeve, I am nice and likable, and I am sure that with my good numbers I will get into a good residency. There this dude in 4th year had the best numbers but had to scramble because I am sure residency directors realized he was so full of himself.
I have secret for all of you, we got into pod school, so be nice to each other and help each other out. For those who think you are not doing well and are here looking for answers, I'll let you in on a secret: a good amount of people here have no clue what they are talking about like the *****s who have not even started pod school and are giving their brilliant commentaries on residency placements.
Talk to the deans of your schools. Here at Temple, Dr. Burke and Dr. Spadone are on top of things and can help with any situation you have. I am sure deans at your school do too.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I just cringe at the idea of how stupid you might think your patients are because they don't know as much medicine as you do and how you are going to treat them.

wow, its like you know me so well.

a good amount of people here have no clue what they are talking about like the *****s who have not even started pod school and are giving their brilliant commentaries on residency placements.

Do you really want me to take the time to copy and paste some of your brilliant statements from your pre-pod days? I already searched your previous posts, and I had a hard time choosing which was the best one.

As far as air bud's residency theory, while it's a nice thought and may help him sleep at night, I'm with studywithfury. I'd like to think that residencies are keeping students out to weed out the highly unqualified who have yet to pass boards and continue to try and match and then go all podpal and complain. However, I'm sure if the money and faculty (attendings) were there, we would be back to a surplus like last year...yes, last year there were residencies that went unfilled. And honestly, until we see official match lists I wouldn't be too sure programs dont go unmatched this year regardless of the "shortage."

Don't worry about searching old posts...I picked one for you. In the beginning there was the Word, and the Word was with ckjets, and the Word was ckjets

ckjets said:
Hello.
I have applied to NYCPM, Temple, and Barry June 2nd. DAT 18 (science 20, Bio 24, Orgo 19, Chem 18, QR 13, RC 15, PAT 15). GPA 3.2, SGPA 2.85 I am waiting for my professors who promised me to send in letter by the end of the week? Any chances to get in to these schools this late?

I have been told by people I don't know and by school critic that my personal statement was extraordinary. And my extracurricular activities are above average.

Do Podiatry School Officials look into this forum and identify student because I am reading all these offensive stuff on the site. All it would take is to cross-reference the info on the post with the data in applicants folders to identify the author of the post.

I am not saying i agree with my theory, just trying to think outside the box. Try it sometime american motor companies (and government motors).

Really? Did you just use an anonymous post to blackmail...ummm... an anonymous user on SDN who never took the MCAT with a made up MCAT score and GPA? Ladies and Gentlemen, this is how accurate SDN is. Although there are some users like karambas and Feli that will provide you with good-to-know information and advice, what makes SDN forums a worthless peace of crap are the cyber-bullies who literally take time to keep a record of your posts and conversations and use them against you decades later :laugh:; and cyber-*****s who have not even started podiatry school and are offering you brilliant advice on how to secure a residency.
Can we please all grow up now? I repeat, we all got into podiatry school, and we are all in this together. Airbud, you can keep ur sweet corn, no one is after it so quit being so freekin territorial. And I still wanna buy u a beer. I am sure you are this soft fuzzy wuzzy bear on the inside who is dieing for/to-give everyone hugs. :love:

Really? Did you just use an anonymous post to blackmail...ummm... an anonymous user on SDN who never took the MCAT with a made up MCAT score and GPA? Ladies and Gentlemen, this is how accurate SDN is. Although there are some users like karambas and Feli that will provide you with good-to-know information and advice, what makes SDN forums a worthless peace of crap are the cyber-bullies who literally take time to keep a record of your posts and conversations and use them against you decades later :laugh:; and cyber-*****s who have not even started podiatry school and are offering you brilliant advice on how to secure a residency.
Can we please all grow up now? I repeat, we all got into podiatry school, and we are all in this together. Airbud, you can keep ur sweet corn, no one is after it so quit being so freekin territorial. And I still wanna buy u a beer. I am sure you are this soft fuzzy wuzzy bear on the inside who is dieing for/to-give everyone hugs. :love:

The irony of this statement is that you are clearly being as immature as the others who are ridiculing you. So I'm a cyber *****? That's fine, I'm still waiting for your explanation on the residency shortage situation since you are ACTUALLY IN podiatry school and according to you are "in the know" (since pre-pods don't know what their talking about).

I'm also impressed that you are willing to doubt the words of the Dean of Residency placement and externship at my future podiatric medical school (who is also a residency director). If you read my previous post, after my own commentary, I was quoting this person.

sorry if my made up numbers hit a little to close to home for you. I was just throwing out numbers that people post on here with "what are my chances"

The irony of this statement is that you are clearly being as immature as the others who are ridiculing you. So I'm a cyber *****? That's fine, I'm still waiting for your explanation on the residency shortage situation since you are ACTUALLY IN podiatry school and according to you are "in the know" (since pre-pods don't know what their talking about).

I'm also impressed that you are willing to doubt the words of the Dean of Residency placement and externship at my future podiatric medical school (who is also a residency director). If you read my previous post, after my own commentary, I was quoting this person.

I have no comment or advice on residency shortage because I am still a first year, just that I am a little scared of it. I apologize if you took my post personally. It was intended for the *****s who have not made it through orientation and are criticizing current scramblers (the *****s who play football and got hit in the head so bad that they can't think clearly). if you read my post before this one, I clearly advise to speak to your dean and shut out the crap here (although this is a new situation that has not played out yet; 2013 will be the first to experience). So I apologize to you. Good luck in pod school.

And this whole "hey we all got in podiatry school" thing, "we are all in this together." There is currently a shortage of residency slots. So like it or not, their is some competition here. Before you lay down your righteous hammer on me, I will gladly teach you how to fish, and share my advice and experience on fishing with you. But I wont catch the damn fish for you.

Sorry dude, I don't feel like "we are in this together." Actually I am quite embarrassed about how I have to sit next to someone at graduation who is a complete idiot and will graduate without a program yet be in Pi Delta (honors club).

Multiple people have asked clinicians about why letting this person slide through is appropriate. They think the response is that considering this person has an extremely high GPA, they feel the person would sue the school, although they felt like this person should have been let go 2nd year.

Bottom line, it's the school's fault. Residencies have a right to refuse positions to those are complete idiots or those who would jeopardize the reputation of that program or even be liable for a patient's life.

Residencies have a right to refuse positions to those are complete idiots or those who would jeopardize the reputation of that program or even be liable for a patient's life.

I agree, people on here often lose sight of the fact that residencies are jobs, and a good portion of what makes a residency good (along with good instructors) is the quality of resident.

Sorry dude, I don't feel like "we are in this together." Actually I am quite embarrassed about how I have to sit next to someone at graduation who is a complete idiot and will graduate without a program yet be in Pi Delta (honors club).

Multiple people have asked clinicians about why letting this person slide through is appropriate. They think the response is that considering this person has an extremely high GPA, they feel the person would sue the school, although they felt like this person should have been let go 2nd year.

Bottom line, it's the school's fault. Residencies have a right to refuse positions to those are complete idiots or those who would jeopardize the reputation of that program or even be liable for a patient's life.

This paragraph doesn't make any sense to me...

Why should the podiatry school in question let the person go in their 2nd year if he/she has a high GPA in podiatry school? How can this student be sliding by with such a high GPA and being a member of an honor society?

If the person is a complete idiot in life, which led them to not match, then that is understandable.

I agree residency programs should reserve the right to decline whoever applies for their program for the sake of maintaining quality.

I agree completely...how can this be? this person is a person capable of memorizing things perfectly off a sheet of paper....this person failed surgery because it's completely applicable...and didn't get a residency because this person has no common sense....it's unreal the type of students admissions lets in..or are fooled by on paper..

words like "deserve" and "natural selection" ..come on guys.

YES people do slip through the cracks. those are the ones that do not pass boards. they will have a hard time getting a residency and will probably not get through to interviews. that's not the problem.

YES there are people who can memorize to the point that their GPAs are higher than most and pass the boards. they will get residency and will be weeded out once they are in (i.e: fired) again, not the problem.

the problem is everyone else. the fact that no one knows, schools give (different) information that changes daily, and the APMA is focused elsewhere is the problem. yeah, money could be it, but money is always a problem. the president or otherwise should do something to insure that medical graduates have a spot to go to. if not, less docs mean most of patient care will go to PAs, "doctor nurses" and the like. but change is not likely to happen. the APMA should make keeping the spots we have and opening new ones (the APMA is not broke ..they could do something, seriously ) a primary focus but again, fighting for practicing pods is more important in their minds.

is having a shouting match with other pods helping? No, but solidarity in numbers will. sounds coom-ba-yah but whatev.

let's just close this thread until someone comes up with new , accurate info. otherwise ..back to the books my friends. or the bottle, if that's what this thread is leaning you towards. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
u are the chosen one dude!

Last edited:
Funny how someone who is one more concussion away from being in a coma was so successful in undergrad and on the MCAT. Remind me not to make fun of jets when he/she has his/her sensitive pants on
Didn't we all sit in the same freshman bio class when the prof discussed natural selection? Did everyone crying for "fairness" speak up then?

I am sorry about your brain concussions, it has clearly affected your limbic system. You are one step beyond narcissistic on the verge of psychopathic. It means that you know what human emotions are but you can't feel them. I feel bad for your future wife; you'll discard her when she starts to age. I don't understand how can people entrust their bodies to a person who believes in social natural selection. So if it was up to you we would neglect our handicapped and let our sick die. The survival of the fittest. Reminds me of a german fella in the in the thirties who had a funny mustache. Did you know that the doctors who get sued the least are not the best but the ones who check up on their patients the most (Dr. Hal Ornstein DPM). This must give you some incentive if emotions fail. Cmon, if you can't feel for someone who is struggling to find a residency, then you lost your freakin humanity.
Survival of the fittest; the dumbest crap I have heard all year (you beat obama winning the nobel prize for peace). What else can you expect from a college football player from whitworth that majored in biology? freakin smart reptile.
And to answer your question. No, my undergrad is one of the top research schools in the country, has a top 40 ranked allopathic med school and no football team. So we did not sit through the same class of biology. And no, the coach is not our lab professor.

Last edited:
In the words of Andy Bernard, "that was an over-reaction." lol you really need to learn to lighten up jets. I applaud you on the research (thank the lord for facebook, right?), but you should have learned that 90% of my posts on this forum are sarcastic and not to be taken seriously. You also should have learned that my favorite ice cream is half baked, and my only dream is to one day own a mini-horse. Would a good presbyterian really believe in natural selection?

PS I hope the football player who bullied you in high school calls you and apologizes one day so that you can show up and shoot the guy who is trying to take over his father's company. Would it help if I told you I was on the track team?

Good, there is something beating in you. I mean it's not everyday that you meet a football player who's biggest dream is to own a pony. And the bully from high school... we chill all the time and laugh about high-school (I mean I would have bullied me if I was him too). Carry out for podiatry. Good luck, I hope you do well.

hmm mini horse. how punk would it be to have a legion of mini race horses, like a future mini secretariat.

cjets and dtrack=y'all should kiss and make up now