AOA approved ACGME residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhs2004

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had their ACGME residency in ER approved by the AOA? How hard is this to get? Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on where you do your residency. I am still in the midst of putting my ROL down, but will likely put two FL allopathic EM residencies somewhere at the top. Because FL only has one DO residency, and that is in Miami Beach... far away from any of the other residencies, it is easier for me to invoke Resolution 42. However, if you did your MD residency, in, say, OH, it might be a lot harder because there are oodles of DO residencies there... one of the main ways to get it approved is by not having any DO-equivalent training in the area...

Exactly...but then again, I feel the best way to combat these *****ic laws to challenge them head on...if one is so inclined to do so.

Quinn:

If you end up doing an allopathic residency, will you be doing the internship year? I have decided not to spend the extra year so I guess it will be goodbye to FL, PA, WV, OK, and MI.

The AOA seems intent on alienating the DO brethren. They WILL NOT approve any 3 year allopathic programs (without doing the internship year first) as they feel that ER should be four years. If they approve a 3 year program, at least they will keep the D.O. involved in the osteopathic profession but now, who needs them!

Good luck on your interviews.....

Bill