Anki for Diseases?

roomsky

Reaction score
Hello,

I have some disease courses coming up. I've been using Image Occlusion to create my cards for diseases, but I don't think that's the most effective method, since we are expected to ID diseases on images, diagnose based on case history, and provide a treatment based on case history.

What have you all been doing for disease cards?

Members don't see this ad.

For something like this, I would generally make 3 separate cards.

A simple overview for something like HF would be:

Card 1: Clinical vignette on front side, dx on the back
Card 2: Image w/ some minimal history, dx on the back (ie, CXR w/ bilateral pleural effusions in a pt w/ worsening SOB + 3-pillow orthopnea)
Card 3: Dx (pt w/ new onset HF featuring pleural effusions and HTN), treatment on the back (O2/lasix/telemetry)

You can, ofc, make some variations as you see fit. For example, on the treatment card you could use a cloze w/ 3 cloze deletions, one for each therapy.

Reactions: 1 users
Histoloy is extremely important for everything pathology. A lot of times the board question will test your knowledge of the histology and 'buzz words'. Like maybe you know about psammoma bodies, and which cancers present with them. But the boards might call them "laminated calcifications" and won't provide any image at all. You'll be expected to know from just the written description.

Reactions: 1 user
Histoloy is extremely important for everything pathology. A lot of times the board question will test your knowledge of the histology and 'buzz words'. Like maybe you know about psammoma bodies, and which cancers present with them. But the boards might call them "laminated calcifications" and won't provide any image at all. You'll be expected to know from just the written description.

This is a good point, not only about the buzzwords, but also about how NBME loves to use multiple terms to describe things.