Anesthesiology - don't bother to apply to competitive programs on the West Coast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Esmolol

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's coming... the application season. Thus, my question - should I even bother applying to anesthesiology programs like UC Irvine, USC, UCLA, US San Diego, UC Davis etc.?

Here are my stats:

- non-trad with a professional career in academia before med school (lots of pubs)
- med school in the middle of the country, ranked in the 65s-75s
- step 1 P first try (I know this should be a given...)
- preclinical years - 1st quartile
- clinical year - thus far all classes finished with 90%+ except FM, very close to 90%.
- CV built for anesthesiology throughout medical school - research experiences, extracurricular activities etc.

I feel like these programs are out of reach, mainly because good programs feed from Top20 schools (and now those unranked ones :) ). Any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

You never know until you apply, you have a good app.

It's coming... the application season. Thus, my question - should I even bother applying to anesthesiology programs like UC Irvine, USC, UCLA, US San Diego, UC Davis etc.?

Here are my stats:

- non-trad with a professional career in academia before med school (lots of pubs)
- med school in the middle of the country, ranked in the 65s-75s
- step 1 P first try (I know this should be a given...)
- preclinical years - 1st quartile
- clinical year - thus far all classes finished with 90%+ except FM, very close to 90%.
- CV built for anesthesiology throughout medical school - research experiences, extracurricular activities etc.

I feel like these programs are out of reach, mainly because good programs feed from Top20 schools (and now those unranked ones :) ). Any insight?

I think you have a strong application. What is your concern? I have a close friend who was the oldest person in my med school. He had a similar application from what you've posted and matched an excellent west coast program.

At the very least it is worth the cost of applying, but I think you should ahve a real shot at the programs you listed, plus some other West Coast programs you didn't list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the responses. A little update - my Step 2 CK score came in as 261. Finished my clinical year still in 1st quartile, Should find about AOA status soon.

Would you guys mind chiming in if I can even dream of programs like UCSF or Stanford or would you rather advise to forget those? This is not a "humble brag" or anything like that. I understand that my stats are on the rather good side. Think about it rather as "people in the high income bracket sometimes also struggle to make ends meet."

Just to rehash:

- non-trad with a professional career in academia before med school (lots of pubs, PI on grants)
- med school in the middle of the country ranked in the 65s-75s
- step 1 P
- cumulative rank - 1st quartile
- clinical year - all classes finished with 90%+ except FM, very close to 90%.
- CV built for anesthesiology throughout medical school - research experiences, extracurricular activities etc. some really unique leadership experiences in anesthesia. It's pretty much everything anesthesia.

I feel like these programs are out of reach, mainly because good programs feed from Top20 schools (and now those unranked ones :) ). Any insight? Initially asked about programs like UC Irvine, USC, UCLA, UC Davis etc. I would be happy at any of them.

Thank you for the responses. A little update - my Step 2 CK score came in as 261. Finished my clinical year still in 1st quartile, Should find about AOA status soon.

Would you guys mind chiming in if I can even dream of programs like UCSF or Stanford or would you rather advise to forget those? This is not a "humble brag" or anything like that. I understand that my stats are on the rather good side. Think about it rather as "people in the high income bracket sometimes also struggle to make ends meet."

Just to rehash:

- non-trad with a professional career in academia before med school (lots of pubs, PI on grants)
- step 1 P
- CV built for anesthesiology throughout medical school - research experiences, extracurricular activities etc. some really unique leadership experiences in anesthesia. It's pretty much everything anesthesia.

I feel like these programs are out of reach, mainly because good programs feed from Top20 schools (and now those unranked ones :) ). Any insight? Initially asked about programs like UC Irvine, USC, UCLA, UC Davis etc. I would be happy at any of them.
I'm not sure where your confusion comes from? You have a pretty competitive application. You won't find out what'll happen unless you apply?

Reactions: 1 user

Just to rehash:

- step 1 P

Shoot your shot. It will cost you hardly anything to apply to the schools you mention.

Just to rehash:

- step 1 P

You have a shot at every anesthesia program in the country.