Anesthesia Competition as a D.O. applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tacti_Turtleneck

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
It appears that anesthesia has gotten significantly more competitive for D.O.s in just a few years time. Match rate last year was 66% overall which is not reassuring. Do we believe this is due to those applying other specialties not getting as many interviews as they expected, and applying to anesthesia as a backup? Is this just indicative of anesthesia becoming less and less DO friendly? Just looking for some advice given my stats. Step 1: 21x (just below 220 cutoff for many programs), Step 2 25x. I made significant improvements academically and honored most of my rotations throughout third year. I am also in a dual degree program. I have away rotations set up at a mix of academic and community hospitals, but I know my step 1 score might put me in trouble.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that our field has gotten way more competitive over the past 5 years. I attribute a lot of it to the implosion of EM. I know that programs that used to be filled with DOs and IMGs are now MD only even though they still interview non US MDs.

I thought that they stopped scoring step1

Reactions: 1 users
I think that our field has gotten way more competitive over the past 5 years. I attribute a lot of it to the implosion of EM. I know that programs that used to be filled with DOs and IMGs are now MD only even though they still interview non US MDs.

I thought that they stopped scoring step1
My year will likely have the majority of applicants with a scored step 1, with some being pass/fail. From my class forward nearly everyone will have pass/fail step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s not that it’s competitive. It’s just that more medical schools and graduating students in the applicant pool and anesthesia slots haven’t increased as a percentage of total overall slots available.

Historical data still shows those entering 1996 (finish 2000) as the easiest time. And those entering 1990 (finish in 1994) as the most competitive time.

As for being a do. Yes. You are at a competitive disadvantage. So work hard. Make a good impression in away rotations. That can tilt the advantage your way especially at mid to lower tiier programs.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone!
It appears that anesthesia has gotten significantly more competitive for D.O.s in just a few years time. Match rate last year was 66% overall which is not reassuring. Do we believe this is due to those applying other specialties not getting as many interviews as they expected, and applying to anesthesia as a backup? Is this just indicative of anesthesia becoming less and less DO friendly? Just looking for some advice given my stats. Step 1: 21x (just below 220 cutoff for many programs), Step 2 25x. I made significant improvements academically and honored most of my rotations throughout third year. I am also in a dual degree program. I have away rotations set up at a mix of academic and community hospitals, but I know my step 1 score might put me in trouble.
On the upside there are tons of DOs in anesthesiology and many are in leadership positions. Any perceived disadvantage, in my opinion, will be minor. You’ll be fine!

80-90 applications. Middle tier and bottom tier programs. You have a good chance of matching at a program. It’s not 90 percent or better but still over 2/3 chance.

Reactions: 2 users
over sensationalization of data.. the MD match rate into anesthesia also dropped almost 10% since just 2020... that's massive but a 89% looks good on paper, but with 1000's more MD's in the match that means many more MD's being unmatched in anesthesia... for DO's the drop hits harder in the % because its a much smaller sample size(many less DO's), its a product of more applicants into anesthesia, and many more subpar applicants as well, while at the same time anesthesia is getting more competitive and that means the significantly more subpar(MD or DO) applicants go unmatched then before.

Reactions: 4 users
You guys are aware of virtual tokens? This may play a role in the 2023 Match as more programs pay attention to the serious applicants.

• How Preference Signals can be accessed/used: For the 2023 application cycle, students will submit preference signals for the allocated specialties via ERAS. Programs will receive signal information in the ERAS Program Director Workstation (PDWS), and be able to filter and run reports.
  • How to view the use a Preference Signal: Given preference signaling is incredibly new to GME, applicants should consider sending preference signals to programs they for which they have a strong preference to interview. This could include programs they really want to attend and/or programs that they are interested in but are unlikely to receive an interview at otherwise (e.g. they have no geographic connection to the area). Preference signals can also be used by applicants to distinguish themselves for programs where many applicants similar to them will apply (e.g. many applicants from the same medical school). Programs should be aware of this information and recognize that the receipt of a preference signal is an expression of interest in the program (Note: The level of interest designated by a preference signal varies based on the number of signals the specialty allocates to each applicant, which is further analyzed below).
  • If a preference signal is sent, is it certain an interview will result? No. A preference signal, while designating interest in a program, is not a golden ticket. It does not guarantee an interview for an applicant, even if their application is a strong fit to attend that program. Programs should view preference signals similarly and not feel obligated to interview applicants sending signals. For applicants, Medical School Advisory Deans and other mentors are great resources to gain a better understanding of their likely fit at a program within each specialty. These advisors can also assist applicants (programs) in networking and share interests to programs (applicants) through other channels (i.e. outside of preference signals). We strongly urge all applicants to consider against sending a preference signal to highly ranked programs where their academic performance or other characteristics are not aligned with the program (e.g. they require a visa, and the program explicitly does not sponsor visas). This is especially true for specialties with a small number of allocated preference signals.

1658199621632.png

Target a program(s), where your stats will be competitive. Spend an audition rotation there and shine. I mean shine. Show up early, stay late, ask what you can do to help in any way,even if its getting coffee. This is your chance to show off your work ethic and interpersonal skills. It was my job to teach residents. It's a lot easier when one is a hard worker and who can get along. Also, if you can score a LOR from an anesthesiologist at that program or who is known to that program will be a plus. The OR is a small community, so it's important to be likeable.

Reactions: 8 users
Target a program(s), where your stats will be competitive. Spend an audition rotation there and shine. I mean shine. Show up early, stay late, ask what you can do to help in any way,even if its getting coffee. This is your chance to show off your work ethic and interpersonal skills. It was my job to teach residents. It's a lot easier when one is a hard worker and who can get along. Also, if you can score a LOR from an anesthesiologist at that program or who is known to that program will be a plus. The OR is a small community, so it's important to be likeable.

Student fetching coffee is too obviously a** kissing. Wouldn’t impress me at all. We have interns from an extremely competitive TY internship rotate through our ORs (no anesthesia rotation but they rotate in general surgery, ortho, and cardiac surgery). They’re not just smart but also socially adept. They are lowkey, ask insightful questions, know when and how to stay out of the way. They’re also content to quietly observe and are not over eager. It’s pretty obvious why they matched so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Student fetching coffee is too obviously a** kissing. Wouldn’t impress me at all. We have interns from an extremely competitive TY internship rotate through our ORs (no anesthesia rotation but they rotate in general surgery, ortho, and cardiac surgery). They’re not just smart but also socially adept. They are lowkey, ask insightful questions, know when and how to stay out of the way. They’re also content to quietly observe and are not over eager. It’s pretty obvious why they matched so well.
I wasn't literally suggesting they ask to get coffee, just if that what was asked of them, but I get what you are saying. I guess being low key and a quiet observers works in CA, but I trained on the east coast and things out here are competitive and anything but low key.

I wasn't literally suggesting they ask to get coffee, just if that what was asked of them, but I get what you are saying. I guess being low key and a quiet observers works in CA, but I trained on the east coast and things out here are competitive and anything but low key.

I attended med school and did internship on the East Coast so I remember the intensity. Different cultures for sure. When in Rome…..

Members don't see this ad :)
Preference tokens? Very Interesting idea!

*Puts on hoodie and sunglasses*

Psss med student... You looking for an edge in residency apps? Well I got just the thing. How much you want? You can pay in Bitcoin.

Preference tokens? Very Interesting idea!

*Puts on hoodie and sunglasses*

Psss med student... You looking for an edge in residency apps? Well I got just the thing. How much you want? You can pay in Bitcoin.
“You wanna buy some death sticks?"
"
You don't want to sell me death sticks."
"
I don't wanna sell you death sticks."
"
You want to go home and rethink your life."
"
I wanna go home and rethink my life.”

You guys are aware of virtual tokens? This may play a role in the 2023 Match as more programs pay attention to the serious applicants.

• How Preference Signals can be accessed/used: For the 2023 application cycle, students will submit preference signals for the allocated specialties via ERAS. Programs will receive signal information in the ERAS Program Director Workstation (PDWS), and be able to filter and run reports.
  • How to view the use a Preference Signal: Given preference signaling is incredibly new to GME, applicants should consider sending preference signals to programs they for which they have a strong preference to interview. This could include programs they really want to attend and/or programs that they are interested in but are unlikely to receive an interview at otherwise (e.g. they have no geographic connection to the area). Preference signals can also be used by applicants to distinguish themselves for programs where many applicants similar to them will apply (e.g. many applicants from the same medical school). Programs should be aware of this information and recognize that the receipt of a preference signal is an expression of interest in the program (Note: The level of interest designated by a preference signal varies based on the number of signals the specialty allocates to each applicant, which is further analyzed below).
  • If a preference signal is sent, is it certain an interview will result? No. A preference signal, while designating interest in a program, is not a golden ticket. It does not guarantee an interview for an applicant, even if their application is a strong fit to attend that program. Programs should view preference signals similarly and not feel obligated to interview applicants sending signals. For applicants, Medical School Advisory Deans and other mentors are great resources to gain a better understanding of their likely fit at a program within each specialty. These advisors can also assist applicants (programs) in networking and share interests to programs (applicants) through other channels (i.e. outside of preference signals). We strongly urge all applicants to consider against sending a preference signal to highly ranked programs where their academic performance or other characteristics are not aligned with the program (e.g. they require a visa, and the program explicitly does not sponsor visas). This is especially true for specialties with a small number of allocated preference signals.
Or here is an idea. How about they limit the amount of programs one can apply to... Then it would be like every application is a "preference signal" 🙄

Right now you have applicants applying to 60-100 programs. If this preference signal program got put into place what PD would logically send an interview invite to an individual who did not send that program their preference signal. That person is inadvertently saying "I am not ranking your program high" so it's essentially a waste of an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Limit the amount of programs? And decrease the amount of money ERAS can make off medical students? Yeah right.

over sensationalization of data.. the MD match rate into anesthesia also dropped almost 10% since just 2020... that's massive but a 89% looks good on paper, but with 1000's more MD's in the match that means many more MD's being unmatched in anesthesia... for DO's the drop hits harder in the % because its a much smaller sample size(many less DO's), its a product of more applicants into anesthesia, and many more subpar applicants as well, while at the same time anesthesia is getting more competitive and that means the significantly more subpar(MD or DO) applicants go unmatched then before.
Did it? The pdf I found looks like the match % for US MDs was already 89% in 2020.

It was 96% in 2018 though.

Less than 42% of all candidates who applied to an anesthesiology program matched in 2022 (Figure 1). Residency programs in neurology and dermatology had a similar percentage of applicants matching as anesthesiology, indicating a high demand for these specialties. When evaluating the percentage of non-matched candidates to only PGY-1 programs with more than 200 applicants in the 2022 match year, anesthesiology ranked 13th out of 25 total programs, with 45% non-matched (ranked in descending order). Emergency medicine had the lowest percentage of non-matched and dermatology had the highest, 12% versus 91%, respectively (data not shown).

That chart reflects a lot of self selection. A lot of non-USMDs think they have a shot at anesthesia and PM&R so they try to match those specialties. That gives anesthesia and PM&R large applicant pools (big denominators) but not the highest quality applicant pools.

If you look at the data for USMDs only, the percentage of unmatched applicants in derm, ortho, ENT, GS, OB/gyn, radiology, and even PM&R are all significantly higher than it is for anesthesia. If you are a USMD, you have a 94-95% chance of matching anesthesia. Anesthesia is still one of the easier specialties to match. This is reflected in USMLE scores too. The unmatched ortho and ENT applicants have higher scores than those who successfully matched in anesthesia.

14FAB38B-5B8F-4B66-9B7F-00C78375B65E.jpeg
5800E36D-0606-4A10-963B-C42A386F2FD2.jpeg

Last edited:
Your chance of NOT matching Anesthesiology as a DO was pretty high in 2022 at 22.9%. Also, Step 1 scores are approaching 238. So, yes U.S. MD's Matched very well in 2022 as long as they had decent Step scores but DOs didn't MATCH particularly well.

If you are an IMG, US or Non USA, your chance of Matching Anesthesiology is less than 50%.

Unmatched: US IMG 54.5%
Non US IMG 59.4%

Also, the vast majority of applicants that did Match rarely, very rarely, exceeded their 6th ranked program in order to match. This confirms the notion that 10 interviews or more, I recommend 12-15, really increases the probability of Matching into the specialty.

The mean USMLE Step 2 CK score was 246 for Anesthesiology. I got this data off of the internet and it seems pretty close. I also found that if your Step 2 score is below 233 as a DO your chance of matching into this specialty is low/unlikely.

For DOs that Step 2 of 245 seems quite accurate (go to page 17). Once the Step 2 drops below 235 or so the odds really fall off in terms of matching. I think this data is so important for DOs because their Match rate is only 78% so a back-up specialty is important for 1/4 of those applying.

Go to page 29 and see for yourself. The odds of NOT MATCHING Shoots up as the Step 2 falls below 231-233.

Last edited:
hit us up on if you wants tips on your aways etc

hit us up on if you wants tips on your aways etc
Late reply here, but curious how essential the away rotations are for Anesthesia? MS2 here still trying to figure out what I want to do but Anesthesia has come on my radar and I'm curious how vital the aways are (compared to say ortho where they're practically essential). I'd like to match in a certain, competitive geographic area regardless of specialty, so I planned on trying to get 2-3 aways in that region regardless, but I am just curious the impact it has vs a field like IM where aways don't seem to matter at all.

Late reply here, but curious how essential the away rotations are for Anesthesia? MS2 here still trying to figure out what I want to do but Anesthesia has come on my radar and I'm curious how vital the aways are (compared to say ortho where they're practically essential). I'd like to match in a certain, competitive geographic area regardless of specialty, so I planned on trying to get 2-3 aways in that region regardless, but I am just curious the impact it has vs a field like IM where aways don't seem to matter at all.
You’re going to get 10 different answers if you ask 10 different people. The program director at my anesthesia program has stated that she recommends doing aways now as anesthesia is becoming much more competitive. I also spoke to a resident (from my school) at a different program who told me that she wouldn’t recommend aways unless you are a student who is very personable, but able to read social queues well. It’s weird to say but you want to be interested and extroverted, but without being annoying and over the top. So it’s very important that you can read the the social queues that are being thrown at you. She told me that the top 10 students on their rank list this year are students who didn’t do aways with them. So take it as you will. I think aways can be very valuable for some people, but detrimental for others.

aways can be hel
Aways can be helpful especially when there are thousands of applications to go through. In my opinion, I think they can either help you or really not do much for your application. I don't think they really hurt your application. I think if you come off as annoying overbearing, cocky, annoying or somebody as other people have mentioned cannot read situation appropriately. It may be detrimental to you.

You should do them early not halfway through the application cycle by then programs already been through thousands of applications. You should also do them at institutions where you're really want to end up anesthesia has gotten mighty competitive lately.

I always appreciated medical students and junior residents in the room with me. Your mileage May vary with other residents. They may be more annoyed with medical students again getting a read on the situation is going to be the most important thing. You can try to be helpful but if you don't know how to do some thing, just say you don't know don't try and do it and do it incorrectly because then it just creates more work for the resident. Have a good read on the people you're working with. I was always happy to show medical students in trainees how to do simple things like spike bags make a iv kits, etc..

I wanted them to feel like they were part of the case and I don't want them to be just standing around and most importantly, I don't wanna waste their time either.

Where I trained, they were minimal DO applicants, if any we took maybe one a year, currently, we have many DO students rotate through. I will say that those students who have rotated through are known to the program I suspect that they will have a higher chance of getting accepted them people who have not done on aways. Again, every institution is different so you're really have to do your research ahead and gauge the level of the program.

It's helpful to know the person behind application when programs or a sorting through thousands of them .

Faculty and residents are asked for feedback often after away rotation, to see if we think that particular applicant would be a good fit for the program.

Jeez when I was accepted into an anesthesiology residency program I did so via the Scramble at the last minute. Bottom of my class D.O., mediocre evaluations, no research, no LORs, barely passing board scores. My how things have changed.

Aways can be helpful especially when there are thousands of applications to go through. In my opinion, I think they can either help you or really not do much for your application. I don't think they really hurt your application. I think if you come off as annoying overbearing, cocky, annoying or somebody as other people have mentioned cannot read situation appropriately. It may be detrimental to you.

You should do them early not halfway through the application cycle by then programs already been through thousands of applications. You should also do them at institutions where you're really want to end up anesthesia has gotten mighty competitive lately.

I always appreciated medical students and junior residents in the room with me. Your mileage May vary with other residents. They may be more annoyed with medical students again getting a read on the situation is going to be the most important thing. You can try to be helpful but if you don't know how to do some thing, just say you don't know don't try and do it and do it incorrectly because then it just creates more work for the resident. Have a good read on the people you're working with. I was always happy to show medical students in trainees how to do simple things like spike bags make a iv kits, etc..

I wanted them to feel like they were part of the case and I don't want them to be just standing around and most importantly, I don't wanna waste their time either.

Where I trained, they were minimal DO applicants, if any we took maybe one a year, currently, we have many DO students rotate through. I will say that those students who have rotated through are known to the program I suspect that they will have a higher chance of getting accepted them people who have not done on aways. Again, every institution is different so you're really have to do your research ahead and gauge the level of the program.

It's helpful to know the person behind application when programs or a sorting through thousands of them .

Faculty and residents are asked for feedback often after away rotation, to see if we think that particular applicant would be a good fit for the program.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.
Oh are interviews still virtual?
I believe they are, at least I know that is the case in other fields. I know the official recommendation was that programs continue offering virtual interviews, but are not barred from conducting them in-person. I think next year will be far more telling about whether virtual interviews will be here for good.

so I just found out today that i failed the step 1. should I even consider applying. I will only have the comlex 1+2. My grades were below average and my clinical evals/grades were solid. I have some 1 pub plus a poster and undergrad research, I also have a glowing anesthesiology letter but feel like its a lost cause. I cant take the step 2 because then i would have to report my step 1 failure.
Sorry to hear that. There are 12 former AOA anesthesiology programs that you could maybe try applying to solely with COMLEX that might not look down on not having STEP as much as most other programs might, but that's also assuming you nail COMLEX 2, and even then you'd pretty much be putting all of your eggs in that 1 basket (with those 12 programs). It might be prudent to start cultivating a back-up or pivot but still apply to those programs assuming you can nail COMLEX 2. That is a major risk to essentially only be applying to 12 programs in your desired field, but I can't imagine the other programs would consider you without Step.

There are people far wiser than me on these forums that can provide better advice in that regard, but I think that logic applies to most fields.

thanks, i assumed i had some shot with the AOA programs but damn thats a bummer to hear that my app wont hold any weight at acgme programs. unfortunately I really did not like any other rotation i had so im in a tough spot.
I have to agree with Darrow. A Step 1 failure would get you screened at any program that fills. Possibly some community programs on probation might show interest, but I would not advise applying to them. I wish I had some helpful advice, but I'd zero in on the former AOA programs and hope my Comlex score would get me over the top. Good luck and best wishes.

Ok, with respect to Comlex. Things are different since the Acgme merger. But most PDs don't know what Comlex is and how to compare it with other applicant's Step scores. Apples and Oranges. Most won't bother to compare due to the large number of applicants with Step scores.
Preliminary yr is an option, so maybe one with a good reputation could help. I would defer to other posters on that one.
If you look at PD surveys, a significant number look at class rank, so if you are upper quartile, that could help.
Typically, community programs on probation, are for academic reasons, board failures, didactic lectures, and a case load diversity. The risk to you, could be the program losing accreditation and you can't sit for ABA.boards, or.you don't learn enough to pass ABA boards.
Also, I would target some Uni affiliates, some programs are quite good. Hope that helps a little.

so I just found out today that i failed the step 1. should I even consider applying. I will only have the comlex 1+2. My grades were below average and my clinical evals/grades were solid. I have some 1 pub plus a poster and undergrad research, I also have a glowing anesthesiology letter but feel like its a lost cause. I cant take the step 2 because then i would have to report my step 1 failure.
Consider family practice. Anesthesia is super competitive these days.

Sorry, but i recommend Family Practice and you may still need to do an away to land a spot.

Also why would it be bad to apply to probationary programs? sorry if this is stupid question

Without good training, you may end up being a poorly prepared doctor that hurts patients. It’s very easy to screw up in anesthesia with tragic consequences for the patient.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. There are 12 former AOA anesthesiology programs that you could maybe try applying to solely with COMLEX that might not look down on not having STEP as much as most other programs might, but that's also assuming you nail COMLEX 2, and even then you'd pretty much be putting all of your eggs in that 1 basket (with those 12 programs). It might be prudent to start cultivating a back-up or pivot but still apply to those programs assuming you can nail COMLEX 2. That is a major risk to essentially only be applying to 12 programs in your desired field, but I can't imagine the other programs would consider you without Step.

There are people far wiser than me on these forums that can provide better advice in that regard, but I think that logic applies to most fields.

Are there still straight up DO anesthesia programs? I thought they all merged?

Are there still straight up DO anesthesia programs? I thought they all merged?
They are former DO, but more likely to consider comlex only applicants and give more weight to away rotations

Sorry, but i recommend Family Practice and you may still need to do an away to land a spot.
Hasn't there been a flurry of new HCA (and/or other less than reputable community) programs over the last couple years?

Hasn't there been a flurry of new HCA (and/or other less than reputable community) programs over the last couple years?

Yes. But they fill.

Being a DO is a handicap in the context of the match. After residency not so much.