Anesthesia - COMLEX or USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current 3rd year DO student who just got my COMLEX score back with a 529. I was hoping for at least a 550. I really want to apply to anesthesia programs but I am not sure if I should take the USMLE step 1 or not.

I have seen most of the programs on Freida website want you to have a 550 COMLEX (although they have not released the new average for this previous 2019 COMLEX)

Should I keep COMLEX score, crush third year and step 2 and hope I can get an away rotation with my top programs?
OR
Grind hard third year and study for USMLE and take that sometime within this year?

I am also torn because I don’t know who will take the COMLEX vs USMLE and if I am at a disadvantage with just the COMLEX! Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at Charting Outcomes, 19 people applied to anesthesia with a score in the range of 500-550 on COMLEX 1 and no STEP 1 score. 79% matched. Of those who got 500-550 on COMLEX 1 and any Step 1 score, the match rate was 88% (125 applicants). I would take Step 1 - I am planning to take it during third year as well! It will be hard, but in my opinion it is the right decision. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Much easier said than done.

With balancing rotations, shelf exams, OPP commitments to your school, and COMLEX 2/Step 2 CK prep/Comlex PE...?

Taking ANOTHER 8 hour exam is overkill but more props to you if you pull it off.

I was severely burnt out and tbh I'm STILL dealing with the burn out and I've been done with boards for 10 weeks now.

I'd say focus on step 2 and get solid auditions during 4th year.

Reactions: 1 user