Aimless Applicant; WAMC 2019-2020?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cat-atonic

Reaction score
Hey friends! I’m expecting to graduate this upcoming spring and I am thinking of sneaking in a ‘throwaway’ application this cycle. I haven’t taken a lot of pre-requisites yet, but I’ll have everything except for OChem 2 by the end of Spring ’20. I found some schools that don’t require it, and I would like your opinion on my chances to get in! I would also appreciate any advice from WSU students on how to improve my application for your school specifically!

23 Yrs. / Male / Utah. My main hope is in-state at WSU (cheeaaaappp), but also considering Mizzou, UIUC, and K-State.

Cum GPA: 3.87
Sci GPA: 3.90
Last 45: 3.82 (but also taking summer classes before application)

Degrees:
General Studies (AS): High Honors -- Spring ’19
Chemical Technician (AAS) -- Spring ’20
Zoology (BS) -- Spring ‘20
*I’m also 1 course short of a degree in Explosive Ordnance Disposal (AAS), but completing it before the end of my military enlistment is not feasible*

GRE results: (156 Q / 157 V / 4.5 W)

Veterinary Experience: (1,049 hours)
125 hours as a low-cost spay/neuter clinic volunteer
24 hours assisting a vet with the Antelope Island Bison Roundup (amazing, but LA is not for me!)
~ 900 hours working as a veterinary assistant for small animal/exotic practice (at application)

Animal Experience: (5,896 hours)
16 hours volunteering at two local animal shelters
4,020 hours as the lead pet care associate for a big-box store
100 hours volunteering to deep clean cat enclosures for two animal rescues
~ 1,760 hours as a Lab Assistant for our Zoology Department (at application)

Research Experience: (216 hours)
~ 216 hours investigating neural repair utilizing Zebrafish (at application)

Awards/scholarships:
- Academic Honors 6/6 semesters
- Military awards & decs for meritorious service, expert marksmanship, honor grad, etc.
- High School Presidential Achievement Scholarship for a local technical college (not the big scholarship, lol)

Extracurriculars: (2,000+ hours; hard to put a number on some of them!)
- Volunteered with Airmen Against Drunk Driving, DoD STARBASE program, Utah air show, etc.
- Military related certs / schools (AIEDD, HAZMAT Ops, etc.)
- Booster club member (fun runs, breakfast burrito fundraisers, geedunk)
- Wildlife society & Zoology club member
- Local Arts Council Volunteer
- CompTIA IT Fundamentals Cert
- (High School) Local sheriff’s office Explorer member
- (HS) Track & Field / Cross-Country
- (HS) German club & student exchange program
- (HS) MESA club

Employment: (12,500 hours)
- Loan / Bankcard CSR job for a large collection of banks (2,100 hours)
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, USAFR (9,000 hours)
- KFC (1,400 hours)

My main concern is the aimlessness of my application as a whole. I’ve done a lot of random, unrelated things while trying to find my place in the world. I’m fearful that application committees will misinterpret that as a lack of commitment. In reality, it just took me a little longer to find a career that resonated with me.

Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, WSU C/O 2022 here!
I think your application is pretty solid IMO as long as your LORs pull through and your essays are solid. I'm OOS to the Pullman campus so can't directly comment on the Utah portion, but everything seems solid for the most part. I also applied to Mizzou was accepted and think you have a pretty solid chance there as well. Doing alot of random unrelated things is good! It shows that you have explored other options and as long as you demonstrate your why and commitment to vet med in your application I think you have a decent chance assuming you get all your prereqs done and continue to do well. WSU likes to see all the things you have done. So when you fill out your application if you've helped at the soup kitchen for holidays include that, helped coach little league include it, literally anything you have done for the last 10 years when you apply that falls in VMCAS categories put it on your app. Don't be shy.

For tips to improve I would suggest trying out some more LA, equine, or mixed practices- I'd consider your buffalo trip more under LA exotics and isn't representative of LA as a job.

Tagging @CoffeeQuestionMark and @Caiter92 for any other input they have on your application/WSU. None of us are from the USU campus though.
If you have questions about WSU feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to answer them!
Tagging @LyraGardenia for K state and @SkiOtter and @batsenecal for UIUC

Reactions: 1 users
My main concern is the aimlessness of my application as a whole.

Overall, I agree with MA. You've got a solid and pretty unique application. The "aimlessness" may actually help you. Convey in your essays, particularly your personal statement, how you found yourself in vet med through all of this. I would be surprised if Illinois didn't at least interview, to be honest.

Reactions: 1 users
WSU likes to see all the things you have done. So when you fill out your application if you've helped at the soup kitchen for holidays include that, helped coach little league include it, literally anything you have done for the last 10 years when you apply that falls in VMCAS categories put it on your app. Don't be shy.

I've done a lot of one-off things, but I feel like adding them to my application would give the appearance that I'm stretching things a bit to look better. If WSU wants to see it though, I'll give it a shot!

For tips to improve I would suggest trying out some more LA, equine, or mixed practices- I'd consider your buffalo trip more under LA exotics and isn't representative of LA as a job.

I've found it a bit difficult to get LA/equine experience in the city and even my buffalo hours were purely happenstance. Our practice did just hire a relief vet that also does equine, though. Maybe she'll take pity on me. Haha!

Thank you for your advice!

The "aimlessness" may actually help you. Convey in your essays, particularly your personal statement, how you found yourself in vet med through all of this.

Thank you for your feedback! My biggest concern is that they will look at my application and think that i'm just going to move on to something different in a year or two. Hopefully I can write some essays to convince them otherwise!

I appreciate you two!