advice needed, esp from UCONN folks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavender24

Perseverance
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a current MSII that's looking to transfer into UConn SOM. I have looked on the internet for info, but haven't found any useful information. Uconn does have a website/page dedicated to students who wants to transfer between MSII and MSIII, which makes me think that maybe they take more transfer students than average? I'm not sure. I'm hoping any of you that's transferred or know someone who's transferred could help shed some light on this for me.

So I'm originally from PA, but am attending Wayne State in Detroit, b/c I've heard good things about it's clinical education in III and IV years. However, I didn't anticipate that I'd marry my then boyfriend, who lives and work in CT, during my first year. We've been long distance throughout the first year, and will be through this next year. Although I've known couples that's done long distance through all 4 years of med school, it's just so painful to have our relationship be a stress instead of a support for me. During my application year, I also worked/lived in CT, so we are both CT residents, which is great b/c I'll be able to save 50% on tuition compare to what I'm pay at WSU. Another reason is that I'd like to go into Neurology, and some Ivy League docs that I've worked with during undergrad says that Uconn has some pretty good people in Neuro, it'd be great if I can do research with them.

My grades for the first year is above average, I'm definitely in the top 40%, but may be on the boarder to enter top 20%. I don't know how I will do on step 1, but given my track record on SAT and MCAT, I expect to do above average, but def not 90th percentile.

Do you think my reasons are compelling enough? I've also read online that it's easier to transfer between schools that are similar in rankings/reputation, how do you think WSU compares to UConn?

Please any advice/suggestions are helpful.

Members don't see this ad.