Admissions Questions. Please, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteE8

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I am very much into specializing in perio. And i am an internationally trained dentist currenly applying for the programs in the U.S.
What do you guys think the chance would be? I am only applying for 5 schools; and they are all private schools.
I heard that perio is not too popular among the dental students in the States, and it has the most chance for foreign dentists. please, correct me if i am wrong.

Also, do you guys know who makes the final decision? is it that there are commitee members of the specific program that gather around and review the applications and relevant documents prior to making the final decisions? or is it just the director of the program and the admissions officer that make the final decisions? do admissions officers have ANY roles in screening the candidates?

Lastly, does being invited for the interview mean that you ALMOST got in? let's say...you did pretty well in the interview and there are many neck-to-neck applicants; based on what, do they finalize the list of accepted candidates?

YOUR REPLIES WILL BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL!
Sorry, I am asking you guys too much.
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

whiteE8 said:
Lastly, does being invited for the interview mean that you ALMOST got in?
Yes. The interview is a required step in the application to verify the criteria for acceptance...that you have a pulse.

whiteE8 said:
Hello.
I am very much into specializing in perio. And i am an internationally trained dentist currenly applying for the programs in the U.S.
What do you guys think the chance would be? I am only applying for 5 schools; and they are all private schools.
I heard that perio is not too popular among the dental students in the States, and it has the most chance for foreign dentists. please, correct me if i am wrong.

Also, do you guys know who makes the final decision? is it that there are commitee members of the specific program that gather around and review the applications and relevant documents prior to making the final decisions? or is it just the director of the program and the admissions officer that make the final decisions? do admissions officers have ANY roles in screening the candidates?

Lastly, does being invited for the interview mean that you ALMOST got in? let's say...you did pretty well in the interview and there are many neck-to-neck applicants; based on what, do they finalize the list of accepted candidates?

YOUR REPLIES WILL BE EXTREMELY HELPFUL!
Sorry, I am asking you guys too much.
:laugh:

Hi White i AM ALSO A INTERNATIONAL DENTIST applying for perio programs.I have applied for 10 programs.Most of the programs are hard to get in .Basically they look for part i scores and any research experiance.What all universities u have applied?.Make sure u have good future goal and intreset in the area.Thats what they look mainly in the interviw.Good luck with ur applications and keep posted about ur interviews