Direct admission into Endodontics residency possible? should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desiboho

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently a DS3 in dental school, and I am wondering if it is worth trying to apply to Endo Residency this upcoming cycle. If I am top 15%, have research experience, have leadership positions, and a part of various professional orgs, work... do I have a chance? Where I am lacking is that I have no experience since we aren't allowed to do anything endo during third year, but will when I become a fourth year, so I was wondering if there are programs that are open to accepting direct applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't hurt to try like previously said. But apply broadly if you want a shot straight out of school. Programs may one cycle want a resident or two straight out of school one cycle and then the next cycle none. You never know. I applied to ~30 programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't hurt to try like previously said. But apply broadly if you want a shot straight out of school. Programs may one cycle want a resident or two straight out of school one cycle and then the next cycle none. You never know. I applied to ~30 programs.
Out of the 30 programs, how many did you get interviews to and did you get in to a program directly out of school? Just curious

Out of the 30 programs, how many did you get interviews to and did you get in to a program directly out of school? Just curious
Got interviews to 3 programs
Attended two interviews
Got accepted to my first interview school a few days later before the second program concluded their second interview day and informed them

Reactions: 5 users
You should definitely try if you know you like endo. During the interview process, I noticed that some programs want recent graduates and others prefer some applicants with experience. I know one PD (program director) said they did not look at any applicants that are only 1 year out. Also some programs want those are are really interested in research while others may not weigh it so heavily.

Can you tell me which programs are looking for relatively recent graduates? And can you tell me which programs value a research career?

My classmate was a straight acceptance out of DS. She would visit the endo clinic and shadow when she didn’t have patients, hustled to find her own endo patients when we could start doing them. The thing that really helped her was doing externships at different programs and going to the annual AAE conference. She met a program director at the AAE and they hit it off. She applied and got into that same program.

My classmate was a straight acceptance out of DS. She would visit the endo clinic and shadow when she didn’t have patients, hustled to find her own endo patients when we could start doing them. The thing that really helped her was doing externships at different programs and going to the annual AAE conference. She met a program director at the AAE and they hit it off. She applied and got into that same program.
This is the way

Reactions: 2 users
I got into endo residency straight out of dental school. Here's a video on some tips for that generally speaking...

Got interviews to 3 programs
Attended two interviews
Got accepted to my first interview school a few days later before the second program concluded their second interview day and informed them
Did you take the ADAT?

Did you take the ADAT?

No I did not.
One school though that requirement the ADAT (I won't say which) sent me an interview invite without the ADAT. So I am not sure how important it is to some schools. I would take it to increase options but if you can't its not the end of the world

I took ADAT because I went to a P/F school that didn't rank their students. I didn't even score that high, still got plenty of interviews. Only ONE program brought up my ADAT score (not even as a negative, just "we're glad you took it because you have no other numbers attached to you".)

Honestly I think if you have a high GPA + class rank, you don't really need to take it.

For those of you who applied direct, did you have any endos under your belt?

Also the one program I am really interested in requires the ADAT, so I feel like it is too late to apply this cycle because I didn't consider taking it until now. Unless they accept ADAT after I submit my application- which I highly doubt.

Applied direct as a D3 - had done one RCT on a #25 before interviews, three RCTs total by graduation. Applied 11 places, got 10 interviews. Took ADAT at the beginning of May. You still have time! Might have to cram a bit, but I would say take it if you can by end of April / early May. Submit apps by end of May. Good luck!

Applied direct as a D3 - had done one RCT on a #25 before interviews, three RCTs total by graduation. Applied 11 places, got 10 interviews. Took ADAT at the beginning of May. You still have time! Might have to cram a bit, but I would say take it if you can by end of April / early May. Submit apps by end of May. Good luck!
What did you get on ADAT if you dont me asking?