ADHD (again)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrZogg

Reaction score
I've been active in the Navy's Scholarship program for a semester now, and am considering being evaluated for ADHD. A tale as old as time I guess.

I've searched this forum and found good information, that states that once you are in the program, you probably won't be kicked out. However, I haven't found official information around the topic.

I'm looking for something more concrete than "DOswag/NavyFP" said it's okay and I'm not sure where to look for that.

Thanks all, and sorry to beat a dead horse.

Members don't see this ad.

Totally understand that it's hard to take advice completely from anonymous internet peeps and you want to see some hard evidence for this. I'm Air Force so I can really only speak to Air Force. But it is in our Medical Standards Directory that ADHD once stable with treatment, member is placed on a profile called a DW which means deployable with limitations. Basically it's an extra layer of protection so someone has to take a quick look at where you're going, make sure you're stable on meds, and you'll have access to meds if you should be tasked with deployment. I'm not aware of any places that specifically prohibit someone from deployment for ADHD if stable on meds at least for where we generally send people. The stability period for us is 90 days. Once you hit that mark without further adjustment to meds you're golden. I don't have a specific place to point you to for the Navy but I'm sure someone here has a reference.

I don't have much more than anecdotal stuff for you for the Navy side. But in general for military, once you're in they're not letting you go without getting your pound of flesh. I've seen physicians get retained with bipolar diagnosis, multiple DUI's, reprimand after reprimand for poor performance PSR's and complaints etc.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I've been active in the Navy's Scholarship program for a semester now, and am considering being evaluated for ADHD. A tale as old as time I guess.

You can (maybe you already have) done a cursory evaluation via your PCM, with no formal diagnosis being ascribed. If you're negative for the diagnostic criteria, you can stop there (no diagnosis, no treatment).

As we all know, ADHD is grossly over-diagnosed. If you've made it to medical school, you're hardly attention deficit; you've proven you can pay attention to a lot of things. Stressed, anxious, yes, but likely not AD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably just long Covid

Reactions: 2 users
Totally understand that it's hard to take advice completely from anonymous internet peeps and you want to see some hard evidence for this. I'm Air Force so I can really only speak to Air Force. But it is in our Medical Standards Directory that ADHD once stable with treatment, member is placed on a profile called a DW which means deployable with limitations. Basically it's an extra layer of protection so someone has to take a quick look at where you're going, make sure you're stable on meds, and you'll have access to meds if you should be tasked with deployment. I'm not aware of any places that specifically prohibit someone from deployment for ADHD if stable on meds at least for where we generally send people. The stability period for us is 90 days. Once you hit that mark without further adjustment to meds you're golden. I don't have a specific place to point you to for the Navy but I'm sure someone here has a reference.

I don't have much more than anecdotal stuff for you for the Navy side. But in general for military, once you're in they're not letting you go without getting your pound of flesh. I've seen physicians get retained with bipolar diagnosis, multiple DUI's, reprimand after reprimand for poor performance PSR's and complaints etc.
Hi, I am a physician in practice interested in joining the AF reserve. I have ADHD and take meds. Is there any chance they will grant me a waiver? I am stable with treatment. I could get off the Rx for some amount of time to prove whatever is needed, but I will just get back on it once that time period is over, so it seems silly.

Hi, I am a physician in practice interested in joining the AF reserve. I have ADHD and take meds. Is there any chance they will grant me a waiver? I am stable with treatment. I could get off the Rx for some amount of time to prove whatever is needed, but I will just get back on it once that time period is over, so it seems silly.
Unfortunately I can't speak too much about AF reserve and what they'll grant a waiver for. My gestalt is that it shouldn't be a problem as mil retains people with ADHD all the time with the profile I mentioned before but I can't say for certain. Or the recruiter may tell you to stop your meds for a few months to show you've been fine off of them and then get you in.

I said ✌️to the military this past summer and am living the dream in the civ world now and don't have to worry too much about that stuff lol. Good luck though.

Unfortunately I can't speak too much about AF reserve and what they'll grant a waiver for. My gestalt is that it shouldn't be a problem as mil retains people with ADHD all the time with the profile I mentioned before but I can't say for certain. Or the recruiter may tell you to stop your meds for a few months to show you've been fine off of them and then get you in.

I said ✌️to the military this past summer and am living the dream in the civ world now and don't have to worry too much about that stuff lol. Good luck though.
Thank you for responding to this old thread! I am a civilian, always have been...I don't think I will end up going the AFR route. I don't think I want to get off my meds for more than 3-6 months, I have too much going on in my life to do it for 15-24+ months. Frankly I do need my meds, and if the military doesn't want me bc of it, then so be it.

Reactions: 1 user
Meh. Apply and see what happens.

It really depends on your specialty and how achievable their quota is for it.

Thoracic surgeon or ortho? They would waive a hot piss test at MEPS for one of those, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users