Navy Navy HPSP and ADHD. Will I be disqualified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hambone34

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been speaking with a Navy Medical recruiter about the HPSP. After reading other threads here about HPSP and ADHD, I'm concerned I won't be qualified. Earlier this year, I talked to my psychiatrist about some issues of focusing that I've been having and he said he thinks I have ADHD and prescribed me Adderall. (I'm not sure if this counted as an "official diagnosis" because they didn't really do the typical neuropsych testing).

I had some issues with that psychiatrist overprescribing me medications (they started me at 60mg adderall a day!), so I went to a different psychiatrist. She thinks the other psychiatrist was incompetent and that I might not even have ADHD, and recommended me for more thorough neuropsych testing (I haven't scheduled that yet, but I plan to soon). However, she still continues to prescribe me Adderall (a much lower dose thankfully) in the meantime.

I spoke with the Navy Medical recruiter about this but she gave a bit of a confusing answer. She seemed to say that if I get retested and they determine that I don't have ADHD and I go off meds, I'll be fine to waive it, as long as I provide all the medical documentation. But, if they do determine that I have ADHD, then I would probably be disqualified. I thought that people with ADHD have been accepted before with no problem, so I'm a bit confused by that. I think the recruiter even told me she knows some physicians who take medication on duty for their ADHD. If its true that I can still get in with this diagnosis, would I still be able to take medication (adderall) during medical school and in the Navy, if I need it?

I have shown significant academic achievment without the meds before the diagnosis for the previous 3 and a half years of college, so idk how that would come into play with the "12 month no meds" policy they have.

Also, my new psychiatrist just started me on a very low dose of lexapro (5mg) for mild/moderate social anxiety, so I'm not sure how that would affect my qualification as well.

What are my options here?

Members don't see this ad.

Options?

Submit your app, provide the documents they request, and see what happens.

But, to be honest, after I read "my psychiatrist" and "my new psychiatrist", my gut instinct tells me .mil med isn't in your future.

And there's this.

DoDI 6130.03, March 30, 2018
SECTION 5: DISQUALIFYING CONDITIONS
5.28. LEARNING, PSYCHIATRIC, AND BEHAVIORAL DISORDERS.
a. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, if with:
(1) A recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or work accommodations after the 14th birthday;
(2) A history of comorbid mental disorders;
(3) Prescribed medication in the previous 24 months; or
(4) Documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.

That said, the Navy redid their waiver policy in 2019 in the aftermath of Senior Chief Petty Officer Shannon Kent's death in Syria, so you should be able to get two chances at a waiver as I (army doc reading navy stuff, lol) understand it.

Good luck and you don't get 100% of the scholarships you don't apply for!

Reactions: 1 user
You have a disqualifying condition for commissioning, which would require a waiver to be commissioned. Once your in, ADHD is not a disqualifying condition for active members and as long as you can deploy, have no duty limitations, and pass your PRT, you are good to go.

Two paths:
1) Continue taking Adderall and report a diagnosis of ADHD managed with Adderall on your 2807 (report of medical history form you will eventually fill out). You will be disqualified and MEPS will gather additional documentation for a waiver. I do not know the likelihood of obtaining a waiver.
2) Don't take the Adderall and when you fill out your 2807 list you had a working diagnosis of ADHD, but upon second opinion that was dismissed and you are not taking any medications. MEPS may request a waiver or just pass you through, will be an easy sell either way.

As always, could save yourself the trouble and do the smart thing, don't join.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you made it through college without medications, starting stimulants now doesn't sound right. Psychiatrists don't like to prescribe Adderall to adults, and I don't know how you found 2. I would find one that will treat me with hydroxyzine prn.

You have a disqualifying condition for commissioning, which would require a waiver to be commissioned. Once your in, ADHD is not a disqualifying condition for active members and as long as you can deploy, have no duty limitations, and pass your PRT, you are good to go.

Two paths:
1) Continue taking Adderall and report a diagnosis of ADHD managed with Adderall on your 2807 (report of medical history form you will eventually fill out). You will be disqualified and MEPS will gather additional documentation for a waiver. I do not know the likelihood of obtaining a waiver.
2) Don't take the Adderall and when you fill out your 2807 list you had a working diagnosis of ADHD, but upon second opinion that was dismissed and you are not taking any medications. MEPS may request a waiver or just pass you through, will be an easy sell either way.

Hey, I'm new here. So why you would say no join the military. Just wondering I would like to know your opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I'm new here. So why you would say no join the military. Just wondering I would like to know your opinion.
I'm thinking you'll go far. I see Combined Forces Surgeon General 2040 in your future.

Just remember us little folks when you get there.

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Your recruiter is that way vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Many have joined military medicine and obtained waivers for these types of conditions. Despite what navydoc2019 has to say about it, please message me privately so I can refer you for further guidance or help.

Two paths:

This is completely inappropriate and unacceptable advice to be given out on this forum. Furthermore, unless a member of BUMED no one has authority to delegate disqualification criteria.

Furthermore, looking at your post history you completed an intern year in pediatrics with plans for pursuing psychiatry? Yet you discredit publicly on this forum those with ‘psychiatric’ conditions that were considered pediatric learning disorders.

The jokes write themselves.

Last edited: