ADEA 2023-2024 Application Questions thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For example California Northstate has a-
"Please use the following space to tell us anything additional that you believe is relevant to your application" section with 5000 characters, more than the PS.

What would be the general advice for these sections? Should I fill them up to the brim? Should I avoid repeating things already stated in my personal statement?

These sections appear quite broad, and I don't want to leave them blank, nor do I want to say anything redundant or potentially detrimental to my application.

Currently, I have about 800 characters focusing on my upward curve.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's fine. It's just an extra space to include anything that you weren't able to include in your application that you'd like admissions to see. I think I left a few blanks on my applications from last year and didn't really have any problems. Unless it's required, it really shouldn't hurt you. I wouldn't fill it up completely unless necessary.

Where would we put certifications on TMDSAS application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, as I am completing my ADEA app for this upcoming cycle, I had a couple of questions about which courses can I assign to the specific prerequisites for each dental school.

I did a Canadian Undergrad, but did IB in HS in the States (FL Resident). For the English prereq for all of the schools on my list, I was able to transfer credit from my IB English course. Thankfully, after emailing every school, almost all of them (besides Rutgers) will accept IB for English prereq.

I was also able to transfer enough credit to place out of my first year General Biology 1/2. I've only received 6 credits (3 per semester) for the Gen Bio courses that my undergrad offered, yet there was no lab credit (I see some schools require with Lab, and possibly 8 credit total). I was an Anat and Cell Bio degree in Canada, so I have a plethora of slightly upper level Bio courses (Genetics, Cell Bio w the Lab, etc..) so I am wondering if I can include these courses as the general biology prereqs? Is it up to the individual schools? I see that some schools require a total of 12 credits in bio. Can I or should I put down all the bio courses on my transcript that could qualify as that Prereq even if it's not the 'General Principals of Biology'?

Also, for my Biochemistry prereq, I've taken a couple different anat/molecular bio courses that would also qualify for this prereq (I think?). However, on my transcript, the one true Biochem course I took can have 2 course codes. The course is listed as either ANAT212/BIOC212, and because I was an ANAT major, it is listed as ANAT212 on my transcript. If I put this ANAT course as my Biochem prereq, will the schools be able to determine that this course was indeed a biochem course?

You might be able to get away with the biology 1/2 courses + upper division labs if you select them. I think for some schools I just added all my bio coursework and let admissions decide which is which, it seemed some would do their own audit of prerequisite coursework. UMN being one example.

I'm unsure about the biochemistry prerequisite. I think some schools will be extremely picky about it. What I would do is put it as the ANAT course-code because you have to have exactly what is written on your transcript, and then for the course subject you can put it as biochemistry. However, AADSAS does their own transcript audit too, so they may change it. You will be able to see what they changed it too when you view your application after it's been verified and submitted. You may have to reach out to schools directly and explain the situation and send them the syllabus. What does your pre-health student resource center say? They must have had students have this problem before, I would contact them..

You might be able to get away with the biology 1/2 courses + upper division labs if you select them. I think for some schools I just added all my bio coursework and let admissions decide which is which, it seemed some would do their own audit of prerequisite coursework. UMN being one example.

I'm unsure about the biochemistry prerequisite. I think some schools will be extremely picky about it. What I would do is put it as the ANAT course-code because you have to have exactly what is written on your transcript, and then for the course subject you can put it as biochemistry. However, AADSAS does their own transcript audit too, so they may change it. You will be able to see what they changed it too when you view your application after it's been verified and submitted. You may have to reach out to schools directly and explain the situation and send them the syllabus. What does your pre-health student resource center say? They must have had students have this problem before, I would contact them..
I will contact the schools and attempt to update the course subject. Thx again Ryxndek!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I am wondering if UCSF need pre-reqs to be completed before applying? Will my application be placed on hold before I complete the pre-reqs?

Hello, I am wondering if UCSF need pre-reqs to be completed before applying? Will my application be placed on hold before I complete the pre-reqs?
If your post history suggests you are only missing 2 prereqs, you need to check with them. As long as it is feasible that you would complete the prereqs before starting dental school at least a month or two before matriculation, you should be fine.

I have a question on Casper. I'm applying to Temple and Case Western, and these schools are the only schools that require Casper on my list. I scheduled to take the exam on 6/1, and I was wondering if I can still submit my aadsas application on 5/31 before receiving the results?
You only need to take it if youre invited for an interview. Not much of a need to jump the gun.

• Hmm
You only need to take it if youre invited for an interview. Not much of a need to jump the gun.
Oh really? I thought for Temple and Case Western, I have to take Casper to complete my primary application.

Hi everybody
I have two questions
1) This semester I took a class called Math Without Numbers. This class fulfilled a humanities requirement at my school and really did not involve any math calculations or anything. It was more about the history of math and architecture. The classification of this class at my school is under (MA) which is what other math classes such as calculus or algebra would be under. I got a B- in this class and I really do not want it to be included in my science GPA because again its not really a math class. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should put it under?
2) Through my medical assisting job I completed a Smiles for Life certificate in Carries assessment and fluoride varnish so I can be able to apply the varnish at my job, should this certification be included under licenses?

Hi everybody
I have two questions
1) This semester I took a class called Math Without Numbers. This class fulfilled a humanities requirement at my school and really did not involve any math calculations or anything. It was more about the history of math and architecture. The classification of this class at my school is under (MA) which is what other math classes such as calculus or algebra would be under. I got a B- in this class and I really do not want it to be included in my science GPA because again its not really a math class. Does anyone have any suggestions what I should put it under?
2) Through my medical assisting job I completed a Smiles for Life certificate in Carries assessment and fluoride varnish so I can be able to apply the varnish at my job, should this certification be included under licenses?
Would maybe classify as history. AADSAS will
Classify it as they see fit so you just need to get it close.

You could include the certificate although idk how much it will really do for you, I’d do both as an experience and certificate so you can explain it for admissions

Oh really? I thought for Temple and Case Western, I have to take Casper to complete my primary application.
I interviewed with Temple this past cycle and they didn't seem to care about it at all. I interviewed in september and they said just to have it done by december 1st. So it's not a requirement for application review to get an interview invite. Was denied even with getting 4th quartile.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I just had a question about volunteer hours. I am involved with Best Buddies at my university (a program where we do activities with people with physical and intellectual disabilities), and I was trying to figure out the best way to split these events up. We have had 8 events, each lasting 2-3 hours each this semester and last semester. Should I be inputting these in individually on my application, or should I combine them all into one and summarize them all? I also have taken my buddy out on my own time multiple times, so should I put that in separate as well?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I just had a question about volunteer hours. I am involved with Best Buddies at my university (a program where we do activities with people with physical and intellectual disabilities), and I was trying to figure out the best way to split these events up. We have had 8 events, each lasting 2-3 hours each this semester and last semester. Should I be inputting these in individually on my application, or should I combine them all into one and summarize them all? I also have taken my buddy out on my own time multiple times, so should I put that in separate as well?

Thanks!
Combine them. Don’t split them apart

Wrote everything in my application already. I am only waiting for my committee letter. Is there a point in submitting my application on May 30 without the lor vs submitting with the lors in, let's say, June 10? I think the application gets verified in July but I keep seeing on reddit the applications are also rolling. A little confused but thanks for your help!

Wrote everything in my application already. I am only waiting for my committee letter. Is there a point in submitting my application on May 30 without the lor vs submitting with the lors in, let's say, June 10? I think the application gets verified in July but I keep seeing on reddit the applications are also rolling. A little confused but thanks for your help!
You don't have to wait until your LORs are submitted to send your AADSAS. On the school side, they could want your letters in to consider your application "complete", but some will begin screening anyway without your letters.

Hi! I have a planned course that is a prereq for some schools but not others. If I indicate that its a planned course but then got accepted in a school that doesn't require it, would they expect me to still take the course? I would prefer to not take a course if it is not needed haha

I also had a question about transcript entry - if I make some mistakes would it make my application verification take longer? obviously I would try to be as meticulous as possible but just wondering

Hi! I have a planned course that is a prereq for some schools but not others. If I indicate that its a planned course but then got accepted in a school that doesn't require it, would they expect me to still take the course? I would prefer to not take a course if it is not needed haha
If you didn’t indicate it as a prereq for one school but not another and it was planned, it’s most likely fine if you decide to not take it, if you get accepted into the school that doesn’t require it. But I would just reach out to the school and see what their policies are. But it should be okay

I also had a question about transcript entry - if I make some mistakes would it make my application verification take longer? obviously I would try to be as meticulous as possible but just wondering
Yes, it will take longer. Write everything exactly as written, abbreviations and all. Be meticulous about this, you want your app to be as perfect as it can be
Dentistry is a highly detail oriented field. You don’t want to be sloppy in the details

Still confused about lor. Since I cannot edit my primary after submissions does this mean my unfinished lor will not be included when adcoms see it. And also, I don't understand the difference between submitting my entire application later in June vs submitting on May 30 without the lors. I get my app will not be complete, but in terms of rolling admissions will turning in without lor give me an edge? Thank you.

Hi everyone, my dentist was out on vacation this week, so she had the office manager upload the LOR to the application instead of her so I could apply when the cycle opened. At the time, I didn't know that only the evaluator was allowed to upload it directly. My issue is that the upload email is different than the one listed in the contact, so I wanted to just have her reupload it in case, but I'm unable to remove the LOR now that it's been uploaded. Has anyone contacted aadsas directly before to remove an upload? Is it possible? Has anyone else had someone else, like a secretary, upload it before and had no issues? I just don't want any problems down the line.

Just contact AADSAS. I had a question when I was applying and they helped me a ton. They can manually delete that one and you can reupload with the correct email address

My issue is that the upload email is different than the one listed in the contact, so I wanted to just have her reupload it in case
Can the office change the email themselves? If they were successful sending the letter in... Otherwise I agree to check with the AADSAS help desk.

Does anyone from previous years know?
a few minutes/hours is not going to make that much of a difference in the big picture
you will still be ahead of 95-99% of applicants...

As a biology major, I was wondering this exact situation. If I have upper level bios that would satisfy the bio with lab requirement, and I did better in upper levels, would you include all of them in the biology section.

As a biology major, I was wondering this exact situation. If I have upper level bios that would satisfy the bio with lab requirement, and I did better in upper levels, would you include all of them in the biology section.
you could, I think as long as the course code matches the intro bio courses. For example, Bio1009 and 2009 would be my intro courses, and then I included some upper division Biol courses with the same course designation. If a course has a different one outside of biology, then I wouldn't include it. I believe I included my molecular biology coursework as well as some upper-division labs.

Do I need to submit the application in bulk on aadsas? For example, I am planning to apply to 9 schools (all at once to submit), but I am trying to earn money to apply to 2~3 more dental schools like at a later date. Would it be possible to not submit the application in bulk and do it in sequence?

Do I need to submit the application in bulk on aadsas? For example, I am planning to apply to 9 schools (all at once to submit), but I am trying to earn money to apply to 2~3 more dental schools like at a later date. Would it be possible to not submit the application in bulk and do it in sequence?
You should be able to employ the "throwaway" method and send to one school (or your first nine), then add more schools once your transcripts are verified. You can always add schools after you submit because the application service doesn't mind taking more money. :)

you can, I submitted to 2 schools right away, then waited two days, applied to 5 more, then waited 2 more days and applied to 2 more. So it's certainly possible. The app gets verified once the first app goes through, so you can't edit your AADSAS after that, but if you decide in like July/August you wish to apply to another school you certainly can. Applying all at once just makes things easier but it's certainly possible to do in sequence if you so choose

you can, I submitted to 2 schools right away, then waited two days, applied to 5 more, then waited 2 more days and applied to 2 more. So it's certainly possible. The app gets verified once the first app goes through, so you can't edit your AADSAS after that, but if you decide in like July/August you wish to apply to another school you certainly can. Applying all at once just makes things easier but it's certainly possible to do in sequence if you so choose
Can you make changes to the individual school's pre-requisite requirements (program materials) if you do it a few at a time? In other words, can you submit 2 today, and then continue working on the program material portion for other schools.

If I am not heavily involved in an organization, do I still need to put them on my application? I am in an honors society, but I have only attended one meeting, as I have had many other priorities.

Can you make changes to the individual school's pre-requisite requirements (program materials) if you do it a few at a time? In other words, can you submit 2 today, and then continue working on the program material portion for other schools.
Yeah, I think the things that lock are you current experiences, your personal statements, manual dexterity prompts and demographics. But you should be able to edit your prerequisite material

You can add more experiences, you just won’t be able to edit the ones you did previously if you submitted

If I am not heavily involved in an organization, do I still need to put them on my application? I am in an honors society, but I have only attended one meeting, as I have had many other priorities.
Probably not. I was in AMSA but went to 2 meetings as I realized I didn’t want to pursue medicine. Didn’t put it on my app and was fine

I wondered into the pre-med section and got in trouble for asking (oops) lol.... but there isn't a waiting period after verification for the applications to get transmitted to the schools, is there? I had never heard of that in any pre-dental day, research, etc. so I just want to be sure!! "Applying to medical school is not a race. Applications are not necessarily reviewed in the order they are received. Being verified by June 5th (if you were to submit on May 30th) will also have literally zero impact on your chances as verified applications are not transmitted to schools until June 30th."

I wondered into the pre-med section and got in trouble for asking (oops) lol.... but there isn't a waiting period after verification for the applications to get transmitted to the schools, is there? I had never heard of that in any pre-dental day, research, etc. so I just want to be sure!! "Applying to medical school is not a race. Applications are not necessarily reviewed in the order they are received. Being verified by June 5th (if you were to submit on May 30th) will also have literally zero impact on your chances as verified applications are not transmitted to schools until June 30th."
I don’t think so. I submitted in mid June and waited a week until my app was verified and I submitted secondary’s and paid fees and my app was complete according to some schools before the end of the month. So I don’t think there’s a waiting period

I had a question about the transcript entry. If I graduated a year early, what do I put for the academic status? I currently have it listed normally as Fresan, Sophomore, and Junior but there’s no Senior, is that correct? And would PSEO be counted as Freshman too?

I had a question about the transcript entry. If I graduated a year early, what do I put for the academic status? I currently have it listed normally as Fresan, Sophomore, and Junior but there’s no Senior, is that correct? And would PSEO be counted as Freshman too?
Academic status is typically determined by credit hour (not year level), if you had post secondary credits, that's why you graduated early and since those were the first credits earned, they would be considered freshman.
"Dual enrollment courses (college courses taken during high school) are considered Freshman and should be listed under the college where you took them. Do not report these courses again as transfer credits at your undergraduate institution."

I can't find a guide for AADSAS level determinations but it is usually something like:
Freshman0-29 credit hours
Sophomore30-59 credit hours
Junior60-89 credit hours
Senior90+ credit hours

You go by amount completed PRIOR to the start of the semester. Most schools will have on the transcript which status level you would be considered at that point which makes it easier but hopefully this helps. :)

*Asking for a friend

My buddy has a very strong application so far. He immigrated to the US at 13, is in the national guard, has TONS of shadowing, volunteering, and EC's. He also works in a dental office and his cGPA and sGPA are above 3.8. He can't take his DAT till late July due to the guard and is feeling discouraged about applying this cycle. I told him as long as he gets above a 19AA he should apply this cycle. Does anyone know how much a late application would hurt his chances?

*Asking for a friend

My buddy has a very strong application so far. He immigrated to the US at 13, is in the national guard, has TONS of shadowing, volunteering, and EC's. He also works in a dental office and his cGPA and sGPA are above 3.8. He can't take his DAT till late July due to the guard and is feeling discouraged about applying this cycle. I told him as long as he gets above a 19AA he should apply this cycle. Does anyone know how much a late application would hurt his chances?
Your friend should fill out a WAMC template. Also, will this friend be seeking HPSP?

*Asking for a friend

will your "friend" be able to complete most of his/her application while studying for the DAT?

For the official transcript, I sent it to AADSAS through NSC after my final grades were submitted in May. I graduated in May as well.
Today, I received an email that my degree was officially awarded and it would be listed on the top of my official transcript with the conferral date.
Should I re-order my official transcript to AADSAS?

If I plan to take another course (biochemistry) at another institution but I am not officially registered, do I still put it in universities attended and match that to each school application? Or should I just say 'not matching any prerequisites now' and delete the other institution entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.