General Admissions & OTCAS Acceptance Questions...HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRSCDBJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted into an OT program and was told I had 10 days to notify them of my decision and make a deposit...However, my situation is a little unique.

My husband is a 4th year medical student and is applying to residency programs. For those of you who are not familiar, they have a match day and you basically don't find out where you will be going till March (way past the 10 days I was given to decide). The program I was accepted too is at the same location as one of my husbands TOP choices (which is great). However, we are not guaranteed to go there. I also have interviews and am still waiting to hear back from other schools that he is interested in. Obviously we do not want to be apart so this is a stressful process.

Does anyone know if you are allowed to put a deposit on a school and still interview at other schools? I don't want to loose my spot when this is a place we really would love to go. I am willing to forfeit the deposit if we don't match there, but want to make sure this is OK to do. I would notify them immediately if we don't end up there so my spot would open up (hopefully I wont have to).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Of course you are able to do that! You just really shouldn't put down multiple deposits. You obviously lose the deposit at the first school if you get accepted to a second or plans change. You just notify the first school that you will
Not be attending and out deposit down at second school and so on...

Yeah, it's definitely allowed and a fairly common practice, it just gets expensive quickly. But in your situation I can definitely see how it would be worth it. And plus, it's all relative - think about the cost of the deposit you could be losing (probably $500 or less) and compare it to the tuition you'll be paying over the next few years...
(Also, if you do put down the deposit and then interview elsewhere, there's no need to mention that in the interview. :))

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into an OT program and was told I had 10 days to notify them of my decision and make a deposit...However, my situation is a little unique.

My husband is a 4th year medical student and is applying to residency programs. For those of you who are not familiar, they have a match day and you basically don't find out where you will be going till March (way past the 10 days I was given to decide). The program I was accepted too is at the same location as one of my husbands TOP choices (which is great). However, we are not guaranteed to go there. I also have interviews and am still waiting to hear back from other schools that he is interested in. Obviously we do not want to be apart so this is a stressful process.

Does anyone know if you are allowed to put a deposit on a school and still interview at other schools? I don't want to loose my spot when this is a place we really would love to go. I am willing to forfeit the deposit if we don't match there, but want to make sure this is OK to do. I would notify them immediately if we don't end up there so my spot would open up (hopefully I wont have to).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Like others have said, I am almost positive that this is totally fine! The only downside is that you're out the money. I did this in undergrad with no consequences besides losing the $100 I paid to the school I wound up not attending. Congrats on your acceptance of best wishes to your husband!

Thanks so much everyone! You eased my mind as I go though this crazy process :)

Reactions: 1 user