Academic Policy Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeaJay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which schools permit students to advance in the curriculum or graduate without passing the national boards is another question. It's all about integrity or lack there of.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a up front question, which schools are making the move to inflate grades?

hopefully very few....as the school would look incredibly inept if a student had a 4.0 and couldn't pass boards. If you're referring to schools 'padding' their students GPA's in an attempt to have a better chance of matching, I don't necessarily see that as a good thing at all. Personally, I don't think inflating grades does a student any great service as the actual abilities (or lack thereof) will end up coming out during externships. Just my $0.02

Which schools permit students to advance in the curriculum or graduate without passing the national boards is another question. It's all about integrity or lack there of.
You definitely have a point. Schools should require passage of at least part I to graduate. Part II is taken too close to graduation to be made a requirement I feel. I believe Kent gives you 3 chances for part I until you are booted from the program, whereas it used to be unlimited.

I'm curious about it too, as this is a rumor that has been on SDN for a while now. I was actually unsure about NYCPM's policy so I looked it up in the handbook. Then again, I should have realized this since students who don't pass part 1 by the october retest are dismissed from the school.

Requirements for Graduation
When the student successfully completes the program, the Faculty, the Dean and the President recommend the student to the Board of Trustees for graduation with the degree Doctor of Podiatric Medicine. The criteria for graduation are the following:
A. Successful completion of all didactic and clinical requirements of the curriculum with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00.
B. Absence of outstanding disciplinary matters.
C. Fulfillment of all financial obligations to the College.
D. Completion of the program within six years, not including approved leaves of absence.
E. Passing of the NBPME Examination, Part I.
F. Successful completion of the Capstone clinical skills assessment in junior year.
G. Demonstrated professional competency and ethical standards to practice consistent with the criteria for licensing in New York State.

Oh and to respond to the OP, I don't think I've heard of any changes happening at NYCPM. I read that rumor somewhere before too, but I find it hard to believe that schools would be changing their grading scales/curves.

Last edited:
hopefully very few....as the school would look incredibly inept if a student had a 4.0 and couldn't pass boards. If you're referring to schools 'padding' their students GPA's in an attempt to have a better chance of matching, I don't necessarily see that as a good thing at all. Personally, I don't think inflating grades does a student any great service as the actual abilities (or lack thereof) will end up coming out during externships. Just my $0.02
Agreed. I think rumors of schools conspiring to inflate grades is a conspiracy theory, but in any case, it just doesn't make sense to me. Inflated grades would hurt students (and the school), not help them.

I'm under the impression that all schools now require part 1 to graduate. Furthermore, you can't get a residency without part 2...