curious about the drug testing policy for incoming first used at Wearern.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliOregon123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a medical card (CA resident) for a few years till June 2015 and took a break. Since then I smam weed/consume edibles probably once every 2-3 months, nothing regular. Just got back from Portland last week where my friends and I tried out a bunch of Recreational stuff all week.

I've been trying to read about what Western's policy is on drug testing for incoming students but I haven't found anything indicating whether they do test or not. By the time it's orientation (Aug 1) it will have been 8.5 weeks for the THC to be out of my system.

Would appreciate any insights on this please!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't care if marijuana is legal. I wouldn't want my foot and ankle surgeon high as a kite doing my procedure or managing my care in the hospital. You want to be a doctor? Act like one!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The subject is probably taboo since the medical profession is so conservative.

But would you say that a surgeon who drinks alcohol on their free time is unfit to be a surgeon? Because that would be the majority of surgeons. OP wasn't asking if they could get away with performing surgeries while high so to jump to that conclusion seems a bit extreme. Seems more appropriate to compare OP's use of marijuana to the occasional social drinker's use of alcohol.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

I wasn't commenting on the legality of the matter. We're on the same page there. I fully expect that we'll all be tested for a variety of drugs at multiple stages down the line—and if not before podiatry school begins then at least before clinicals begin.

I was simply commenting on the fact that you've basically said that use of marijuana is inappropriate for a doctor at any time, whether recreational or regular, whether legal or illegal. Yet the use of alcohol is only inappropriate for a doctor while working or immediately before working, apparently because it is legal (so legality does matter?). So what I was getting at is (1) legalities aside, why should the two drugs be treated any differently? The effects are really quite comparable. (2) If you wanna look at the legality of the situation, OP was using medical marijuana in a state where that is legal and was using recreational marijuana in a state where that is legal. So really then you're talking about two legal drugs with comparable effects. I'm just not getting the double standards here. (3) I don't think it was appropriate to assume that because OP posed a perfectly valid question about his legal use of marijuana prior to even entering podiatry school that he is a raging pot head who is intending to butcher patients while being "high as a kite".

OP, if you really only use marijuana as infrequently as you say, 8.5 weeks is a ton of time for the THC to get out of your system. If you're that concerned though, you can go down to the pharmacy and get a couple of at-home THC testing kits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not taking sides with either of you guys but I would like inject this topic into your debate:

Authorizing specified dentists, podiatrists, nurse midwives, and nurse practitioners, in addition to physicians, to issue written certifications to qualifying patients by substituting the defined term "certifying provider" for "certifying physician" as it relates to laws governing medical cannabis; establishing that specified providers must be in good standing with the regulatory board regulating the licensing and certification of specified providers; providing for a delayed effective date; etc.

Source: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=hb0104&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2016rs

I'm not taking sides with either of you guys but I would like inject this topic into your debate:

Source: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?id=hb0104&stab=01&pid=billpage&tab=subject3&ys=2016rs
The way I see it, marijuana is one of those things that has been illegal for purely political reasons. The realization that marijuana is useful medically and at least not harmful recreationally is purely scientific, and is the side that I would hope most doctors and would-be doctors could get behind, even if it's not the prevailing sentiment among whomever we're all trying to impress. "That's how it is and that's how it's always been" is not a logical reason to chastise people for using marijuana.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

drink juice, and hope they don't do a hair test, if it's just a urine test by then I would think you would be ok.

It's a complicated issue. I would clearly vote for don't do it at all. As has been mentioned some of the rotations you go on will drug test you as a student, your residency will likely do it. Mine did. I had to have a drug test as part of the privileging process at a hospital. It is an issue that will come up if you smoke pot. Like it or not, it will not be viewed in anything but a negative light by the majority of your peers, colleagues, and bosses.

Here is an article on the topic (a bit long and mind-numbing of an article, but has some thoughts on the matter):

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2015/09...rgeon-is-more-complicated-than-you-think.html

Reactions: 1 user
I almost spit my drink out when I read "the devils lettuce" lol

Reactions: 2 users
I almost spit my drink out when I read "the devils lettuce" lol
11377423_1051669908178294_1477404051_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 users