ABR Alternate Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulrad08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone through this route? Any programs that offer such positions or one has to make cold calls to programs to ask about fellowship options?

Any residents / physicians here who have open spots for clinical / research experience that they'd be willing to share about?

I've been calling different companies who help get clinical experience but it's so expensive. Nearly $4K a month for rotations.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Good morning,

I am the DR Residency Coordinator and Education Division Manager at UT Health San Antonio. Our Dept. of Radiology offers the ABR Alternate Pathway. This option is most typically requested by IMGs who have already completed a residency outside of the USA or Canada and want to obtain ABR certification. Our fellows have to apply and go through the interview process just like fellows in ACGME-accredited programs; our department funds fellows' salaries lines.

We currently have 6 non-ACGME accredited Fellowships in Body MR, Body Imaging/Intervention, MSK, Emergency Radiology, Cardiothoracic Imaging, and Breast Imaging/Intervention. We are also working on getting approval for a new program in Women's Imaging and Intervention for a July 2019 start date.

If you'd like to learn more about the ABR option at UT Health San Antonio feel free to contact me via PM.

Reactions: 1 user
Good morning,

I am the DR Residency Coordinator and Education Division Manager at UT Health San Antonio. Our Dept. of Radiology offers the ABR Alternate Pathway. This option is most typically requested by IMGs who have already completed a residency outside of the USA or Canada and want to obtain ABR certification. Our fellows have to apply and go through the interview process just like fellows in ACGME-accredited programs; our department funds fellows' salaries lines.

We currently have 6 non-ACGME accredited Fellowships in Body MR, Body Imaging/Intervention, MSK, Emergency Radiology, Cardiothoracic Imaging, and Breast Imaging/Intervention. We are also working on getting approval for a new program in Women's Imaging and Intervention for a July 2019 start date.

If you'd like to learn more about the ABR option at UT Health San Antonio feel free to contact me via PM.
Hi,
Unable to send you a PM.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Good morning,

Dear residency coordinator ,
I am looking into the ABR Pathway . I have graduated from the university of West Indies with a DM radiology and have a ECFMG certification along with step 3 . I would appreciate if you assist me sending me the application form and credentials required for the 4 year alternative program .

Does anybody know, if you are a IMG radiologist, how can you even apply for the non-acgme fellowships, since for them you would need a permit to practice medicine, which you can only get, if you've done 3 years of postgrad training in an acgme accredited program? I am a bit confused regarding that topic.. And does anybody know, if fellowships in radiology are competitive, where one would need a high score on usmle (I know it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it would ever be feasible for me to take so much time off to properly prepare for the steps, unless I am more than a year jobless).

Does anybody know, if you are a IMG radiologist, how can you even apply for the non-acgme fellowships, since for them you would need a permit to practice medicine, which you can only get, if you've done 3 years of postgrad training in an acgme accredited program? I am a bit confused regarding that topic.. And does anybody know, if fellowships in radiology are competitive, where one would need a high score on usmle (I know it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it would ever be feasible for me to take so much time off to properly prepare for the steps, unless I am more than a year jobless).

There are programs which sponsor you a visa, typically the J1 visa.
You can try this one here:

Good morning,

Hi I'm unable to send you a direct message and I have a few questions about the ABR pathway. Could you send me a message?