ABR Alternate Pathway discussion ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ismailishak

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I graduated medical school from Turkey, and finished my Diagnostic Radiology training in Germany. I am a board certified Radiologist in Germany.

US is a big dream for me since my childhood, and it's seems that attending lifestyle in the US beats all the others.

I found that an IMG who is certified DR in his homecountry can be board eligible if he finishes 4 year ACGME accreditated fellowship.

So in theory, if I work as a fellow for 4 consecutive year in a ACGME accreditated program and after that I can get board exams. And if I pass board exams and state exams, I have no longer any difference from a us-residency trained radiologist in terms of Salary and Title right?

It is so good to be true so I tought there has to be some catch :). Like when IMG surgeons who works as a doctor in academic but doesn't get pay as us-residency trained ones.

So, just to clarify my question;

In example, X person who is US med school grad - US residency DR trained doctor will make the same as a I, who international med grad, outside US - DR trained, completed 4 consecutive fellowship years in US and passed State-Board exams.

There is no catch, Right ? :)

Members don't see this ad.

No catch. Once you finish the ABR alternate pathway and become board certified you are equivalent to a US trained MD and eligible for the same jobs (beyond visa considerations).

On top of that, you don't even have to do 4 years of fellowships. As long as you are in an institution with an ACGME residency you can do some of the 4 years as a resident or as faculty (provided they want to bring you on as faculty)

Reactions: 1 user
No catch. Once you finish the ABR alternate pathway and become board certified you are equivalent to a US trained MD and eligible for the same jobs (beyond visa considerations).

On top of that, you don't even have to do 4 years of fellowships. As long as you are in an institution with an ACGME residency you can do some of the 4 years as a resident or as faculty (provided they want to bring you on as faculty)
What about working in Private Practice?
Am I going to get same pay and title after the Alternate Pathway and Board exams compared to us-residency trained Diagnostic Radiologist right?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about working in Private Practice?
Am I going to get same pay and title after the Alternate Pathway and Board exams compared to us-residency trained Diagnostic Radiologist right?

Titles aren't really a thing in PP. You can slot into leadership positions at some point, but your base title is [diagnostic/interventional] radiologist.

Re: pay. In theory you should get the same pay as anyone else, especially once you make partner. In practice, it's entirely up to you and the group how your salary is negotiated. If a group offers you a deal below what other people are making and you accept it, that's on you.

The biggest issue you will face after completing the ABR alternate pathway is visa support. It is my understanding that, due to visa issues, you may be limited to academics or somewhat less desirable private practices vs a US trained applicant. Once you become a citizen, then everything is truly equal.

That being said, your pay relative to your colleagues who are citizens and/or US trained should be identical.

The biggest issue you will face after completing the ABR alternate pathway is visa support. It is my understanding that, due to visa issues, you may be limited to academics or somewhat less desirable private practices vs a US trained applicant. Once you become a citizen, then everything is truly equal.

That being said, your pay relative to your colleagues who are citizens and/or US trained should be identical.
Once you get a green card (permanent resident status), then everything is equal.

Before that, you may find yourself on a several year cycle of renewing visas and only working in nonprofit centers serving underserved areas that are willing to put up the expense of sponsoring your visa, or something like that..

Once you get a green card (permanent resident status), then everything is equal.

Before that, you may find yourself on a several year cycle of renewing visas and only working in nonprofit centers serving underserved areas that are willing to put up the expense of sponsoring your visa, or something like that..
Does underserved areas have much more compensation because there is no physician saturation?

If it does, it's even better for me I think :)