4th year rotations please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenerd

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

So even though my Step 2CK is in 2 days, of course something gets thrown into the mix to make life more hectic. I am applying into neurosurgery and my 4th year schedule has been set up since the middle of April. I dont have a home residency, but we have 2 institutions we can rotate at through our school (MD), which I have already set up rotations for. I also set up 3 away rotations just to get a feel for some different programs. At the time of setting up my schedule we were told there were likely no restrictions for rotations. Well, come to find out just a few days ago the Society of Neurological Surgeons put out their recommendations saying no more than 1 home rotation and 2 aways, but my schedule has already been set up. I don’t want to be blacklisted at programs for “not following the rules” (even though my schedule was made before-hand) and am really unsure what to do now, because if I drop one of these aways I am guaranteed not to interview there. Does anybody have any advice?? Because this is definitely not the stress I need before step 2. Anything is appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Contact the programs you are going to drop and tell them that due to scheduling issues you will not be able to attend that rotation. Thank them for the opportunity. Not much else you can do. You’re an adult, gotta own your mistakes.

Per my own NSGY advisor, do the rotations. If someone brings it up, you explain that your schedule was arranged beforehand.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact the programs you are going to drop and tell them that due to scheduling issues you will not be able to attend that rotation. Thank them for the opportunity. Not much else you can do. You’re an adult, gotta own your mistakes.
Not sure I would run and cancel....OP, don't cancel anything until you get a better feel from your mentors, school advisers, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, talk with your mentors and follow their advice, not advice from people outside your field of interest.

Neurosurgery is a very small field. You should not burn any bridges. I think that the best way to navigate this is to first talk to your mentors about your problem. You don't have a home program but maybe the program directors at the 2 programs you rotate at would be helpful (whoever it is that advises med students going into neurosurgery). Then, I would reach out to the away coordinator at the program that you're going to drop. Sooner is better than later so that they can fill the spot. And you should explain very carefully why you have to drop that spot even though you would love to be a resident there.

At the end of the day, they probably won't interview you there because they know they're not your top 2. But your goal is to minimize collateral damage and being known as "that guy."

If these recommendations came out a few days ago I would not not change your schedule. You arranged your schedule before these guidelines were put in place. Secondly, a recommendation is just that... a recommendation. It is not a requirement.

Did SNS just put out those recs a few days ago or were they out and you just came to realize it a few days ago? It's difficult to tell from your post.
I believe they just came out recently, I have been checking relatively periodically since january and did not come to notice until this past week they had posted them