-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IR3A4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
-IM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On the contrary, if you do an away rotation you are expected to request a letter. But it can be a double edged sword, because you’re going to be measured against their own students who are more familiar with the institution, EMR, and general expectations of the program, so it is possible you could do more harm than good if you don’t rock your away rotation.

Regardless, whether you do it at home or away, you should attempt to do a sub-I prior to ERAS and get a letter if possible

Reactions: 1 users
On the contrary, if you do an away rotation you are expected to request a letter. But it can be a double edged sword, because you’re going to be measured against their own students who are more familiar with the institution, EMR, and general expectations of the program, so it is possible you could do more harm than good if you don’t rock your away rotation.

Regardless, whether you do it at home or away, you should attempt to do a sub-I prior to ERAS and get a letter if possible

Thanks for the input!

I guess this post is becoming more of an "Do aways before or after ERAS?" question.

I, in all my self-conceit, believe I'm pretty affable and a quick learner and would do well on an Away rotation. If I do an Away before ERAS I have the chance of having a letter I can use for every program, a letter from someone who is more than likely more prestigious than one I could get from my home institution (we dont even have our own hospital or residency programs). While if I wait to do Aways after ERAS I may be in better form to perform well, the interns should have their feet under them so may be a better time to actually learn and get a feel for the program, and I could still get a courtesy II from that specific program.

So I guess the question is how much more valuable is a letter from a more recognized individual/instituion

EDIT: Extra note, of the 4 different programs I would want to do an away at, the PDs happen to be in the specialty I'm interested in (PCCM). Would it then be worth trying to do an ICU rotation at one of these programs for a chance to work with the PD directly (despite it not being guaranteed given their research and education commitment).

Last edited: