2nd time applying: Chances/Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InLegionnaire

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long context, apologies: I applied last cycle super late (December, my first Senior Undergrad semester; 11 schools) 5 schools kept me under review/waitlist. Eventually all rejected by May 2018. I wasn't too shocked because I really applied just because why not try. I took my first DAT last Nov:

18AA / 17 TS / 20 PAT
My GPA was a 3.24 (sGPA like 2.89)

With only one semester left after, there wasn't much I could do for my GPA, so I prepared a lot more for the DAT and retook this month after graduation; and was very sad to get the exact same score with just different subscores (very different topics from my last DAT). Improved my GPA by .01 and got sGPA up a bit. So stats now:

3.25 GPA (sGPA ~ 2.94/2.95).
18 AA / 17 TS / 20 PAT

I will be applying right on June 5th for the best possible chance this time - and with my gap year while I wait, I'll be working in Orthodontics & Oral Surgery as an Assistant (I have 5 years of prior Dental Assistance & Technician Exp). My LORs are coming from the Dentists I have worked with (one was a professor at Midwestern). -- My question for advice is: What else can I possibly do this next year to help my application? I have thought about a online Masters but don't know anyone who has tried that (Sadly with the job I can't really do a full time in-class masters, which stinks because I live RIGHT by Midwestern which has a 9-month MBS). Should I also retake the DAT a 3rd time this year? This would put me off until August or Sept to apply though which has me super worried. If anyone has been in a similar situation to mine - what did you do to improve? And what schools did you apply to?!

My biggest fear is obviously not getting in this second cycle - but I'll keep trying because this is my dream. Till the schools get sick of me & take me so I shut up haha!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So other than retaking the DAT (I'd say you want 22+ to offset low gpa and sgpa)..

My LORs are coming from the Dentists I have worked with (one was a professor at Midwestern).

Just making sure, you do know all schools ask for two science professors to write you a letter right? Professors you have taken a graded class for? If you do have that then it's fine but it wasn't clear in the OP. But yeah really the best thing you can do to improve your app is the DAT, I know you won't be able to apply early but it's worth it. Should you still apply this year? I'm not sure because while there is a chance, it's not that great of a chance and you might just be throwing money away. I would personally wait till next cycle. Get a good DAT and you won't feel rushed to get it this time too. Do a post bacc or master's. Maybe an unofficial post bac would be good for you to just take some more science class when you are available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the DAT and make it your full time job.

If you can afford to or don't care about spending $30K for an MABS degree from Midwestern, then you should do it. My wife completed that program and was accepted into their dental school.

But before you begin that program, I'd agree with everyone else in suggesting that you must retake the DAT and treat it like a full time job. If you already have 5 years of dental assistant experience then there is no added value to your application by working in orthodontics and oral surgery as an assistant. It'll be much better for you to study for the DAT full time instead.

Everyone seems to put so much detail about how they have all this dental related jobs or extracurriculars but at the same time, their GPA and/or DAT is not competitive enough.

You guys have to realize that having a good GPA/DAT combo is like 70% of the reason a dental school will consider you. All that extra stuff is likely less than 10%. Don't be penny wise, pound foolish.

If you are dead set on dental school, drop all that extra stuff and focus on improving GPA or DAT drastically. I know that there are people out there who have to work to pay the bills and rent but dental schools will simply not look at your application favorably with poor scores. There are quite a few people out there who worked and studied at the same time so your situation isn't unique.